#1 HansC

HansC

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:03

After posting drift shots of this truck here: http://www.fotozones...ots-of-a-truck/, i thought to post some "beauty" shots. I thought since this was commisioned work (although not paid in hard currency), it'd belong here. Please feel free to move if necessary.

For the shots, the same container dock was chosen, in order to link a bit to the nature of trucks. These shots have been published on the truck team's website as well (www.becxtdsracing.nl).

Hoping for your remarks/critique again.

No. 1
D3s, 180 f/2.8 @ 1/800, F4
Attached File  NG331_HCS0039173.jpg   471.97KB   7 downloads

No. 2
D300, 12-24 f/4 Toki @ 1/250, F8
Attached File  NG332_HCS0039194.jpg   561.29KB   5 downloads

No. 3
D300, 12-24 f/4 Toki @ 1/320, F8
Attached File  NG333_HCS0039209.jpg   558.35KB   7 downloads
HansC, doin' life

#2 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 4,767 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 16 August 2012 - 20:32

I like #2 in terms of the unique viewpoint and the kind of sex appeal of the machine. I think the choice of the super wide angle lens works really well. The front part of the truck sink into the dark background, which could be improved.

I would think the background of #1 is a little too busy to bring out the contour and the paintings of the truck. You may want to use a longer lens to blurr the background more.

The concept of #3 is interesting, but might not be appropriate for the main subject. The truck appears to be tiny or even wimpy here.

Sorry for my largely negative feedback. I did enjoy your panning shots in the earlier thread.

Edited by Akira, 16 August 2012 - 20:37 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#3 HansC

HansC

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 14:13

Thanks a lot Akira. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give feedback.

No need to apologize for the "negative" feedback. I take honest feedback over an "atta-boy because i like you or don't know what to say" any day. I can really use this feedback to improve for the next time.

I honestly thought that the background was a bit busy myself in #1. And while you cannot see it in this small size, the larger size indeed blurs the background more. But, as usual, i had to work with the environment as it was chosen. Not trying to come up with excuses, just need to make sure to even better scout around next time.

I'm glad that #2 does indeed show the "sexiness" of the truck, that was my intention. How would you go about imroving the separation of the front from the background?
HansC, doin' life

#4 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 4,767 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 17 August 2012 - 14:53

Hans, I failed to click the images to view in a larger size. As you note, the background looks more blurred in the larger image. In the poster size, the contrast between the sharp contour of the truck and the blurred background should be even larger. Sorry for my ignorance. Having said that, the truck could be parked a little further from the red lift in order to blurr the background more, if the space would permit.

As for the #2, the problem to me is that the gray clor of the truck and the dark blue color of the containers are too close to each other, which makes the separation difficult. Red containers as background would have worked much better because red would make clear contrast against both gray and fluorescent green. Care should be made so that the red color won't reflect on the body, which should make the color muddy.

Yup, I'm well aware that it is easier said than done. :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#5 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,509 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 17 August 2012 - 16:29

this tokina still does well
the perspective on 3 seems odd
almost flat as if no dof

Edited by Fons Baerken, 17 August 2012 - 16:34 .

#6 HansC

HansC

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 20:10

Thanks gents for commenting.

@Akira, thanks. The truck was pretty far away from the crane, some 250 odd meters. But, i now realize i should have shot it with a shorter focal length (but with rather large aperture) to avoid just this effect.

@Fons, thanks. I take it you mean too much dof. I can see that and like Akira said above, it's probably not the best "hero" shot ;-)
HansC, doin' life

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: truck, racetruck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users