The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Photographer Threatened with 300k Lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Life Member
  • 7,952 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:11

"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#2 averity

averity

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 693 posts
  • LocationMadrid
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:46

nice video, thanks for posting, sounds like that photographer had a laugh a minute client on that shoot. What an A.H.

#3 JohnBrew

JohnBrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 928 posts
  • LocationFolly Beach, SC

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:20

He should get a good lawyer and countersue. I would also think he could get this lawyer disbarred for the statements in the letter.

#4 averity

averity

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 693 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:28

Gary Fong has a second video with un update on the story if you are interested at all, he names the photog and here is the photog FB page

https://www.facebook...=app_6261817190

sorry to be such a gossip, but the video kind of touched a nerve

#5 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,486 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:32

Sick.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#6 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Life Member
  • 7,952 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:40

only in America.......
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#7 JBPhoto

JBPhoto

Professional & NPS Member

• Life Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:18

How about defamation of character? The photographer can sue them due to the threats they make.

You know what they call 6 lawyers chained to a block of concrete at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start!

James

- If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. -

#8 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 03 August 2012 - 16:36

You know what they call 6 lawyers chained to a block of concrete at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start!������

I was more thinking along the lines of “not nearly enough”! :)

(sorry for the attorneys here but some of your colleagues have given the profession a really bad rep)
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#9 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 03 August 2012 - 19:28

Heard them all before.

Yawwwwn.

#10 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 20:00

Heard them all before.

Yawwwwn.

Now don't be jaded.... :)

#11 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 03 August 2012 - 20:22

The situation outlined in the video is far too common in the USA.

I categorize it as "Exploiting the Legal System for Blackmail and Extortion" and I would love to see a few of those who try to pull these stunts ending-up behind bars.

If I was that photographer, I would be trying to get criminal charges brought against the letter-writer (who I cannot believe to be a qualified Attorney when his written English is entirely illiterate!) before he can issue a writ and start legal proceedings himself.

I would think that charges of attempted blackmail, extortion and making threats against the future of both him and his wife might be successful?!

#12 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 21:36

Yup, it's far to common for an unjustified lawsuit to be settled for the cost of defense.

Another way of saying, "while the plaintiff might not win the case it will cost you$XXXXXX, so we'll give you a discount on your potential cost."

Been there done that ..... and it's wrong.....

#13 Dalek

Dalek

• Life Member
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMiami, Fl

Posted 29 March 2013 - 21:29

I think I will establish a photography trust and tag all my photos as property of the trust. Would that save me?

#14 lenmil

lenmil

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 23:00

Unbelievable, just crazy. Surely he can counter sue for mental anguish. No wonder many photographers don't bother any more.

Take the shot, you never know.

#15 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,622 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 29 March 2013 - 23:19

only in America.......

Not only in America, though they did start it.

The use of potential law costs incurred in fighting an unjust accusation of even perfectly legal behaviour to force an out-of-court settlement for a lesser "undisclosed" amount or even pleading guilty for a reduced fine/sentence is becoming common law practice elsewhere as well.

As Rags said, been there, done that, and my prosecutor was the Tasmanian Government business enterprise Forestry Tasmania. When I dug my heels in and refused to budge, they eventually withdrew charges, though my legal "advice" was not to pursue costs as I had no hope of winning them (the government has of course legislated to protect itself from such things, laws which then can be used to advantage in the private sector). If someone embarks on such an action, the defendant will probably lose financially at the very least, even if they're cleared of any wrongdoing, and the plaintiff will probably win, even if they are in the wrong.

#16 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 29 March 2013 - 23:38

I consider this to be Blackmail via Fraudulent Lawsuit and Governments and their Legal Departments need to find a way to prevent this from happening and for fining and disbarring those lawyers who practise in this way.

I know that this would be very difficult to legislate but it really must be done because the practice is being used against both corporations and private individuals as a means for Court-sanctioned Extortion.

#17 Chris101

Chris101

Chris101

• Moderators
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:49

I have not seen any update on this. Anyone know if anything has happened in this case?

#18 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 14:38

The photographer is an idiot, he took a lawyer as a client and didn't have a contract.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.