1 reply to this topic

#1 PatrickO

PatrickO

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 571 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:00

A friend asked me to help out with a music video this weekend, and I've found the learning curve from stills to video very steep.

The one video was for a jingle for Yorkshire Tea. We chose a location, set up the equipment and tried to get a good take in between the clouds and wind... ...an hour later and we had enough for a 30 second video. Back in the studio we started to learn the lessons:
  • Sound sync on the Nikon 5100 was better than the V1 - maybe it is the 24 versus 23.97 frame rate thing, but it caused issues.
  • The D5100 and V1 are very different in their controls and both can be a bit of a pain to set manually. If I had the budget the D800 or D4 would be the way to go - far less aggravation.
  • After a few tried I eventually I popped onto the D5100 the 50mm f/1.8 outdoors and the 17-35mm 2.8 indoors and set them to Manual focus. Cured the hunting.
  • The V1 10-30 lens is very fast at autofocus - but it really messed up with hunting all the time. I'll put a nice MF lens on the FT1 next time and get a hood so I can check focus on the screen.
  • It's impossible to see enough on the screen to get it right in the field. Things just go unchecked (or bumped) with the sunlight changing and wind blowing.
  • Sandbags for the tripods! Bring big tripods, not lightweight stuff.
  • For the indoors shoot we struggled for room and with the light. It is a small stone cotttage and we did not have space for standard or short tele lenses. We could only fit in two lights and the sunlight through the window was continually fluctuating.
  • Only a third of the skill is in the field. Sound is a major exercise and post process on the video takes a lot of skill and effort.

This was shot on a Sunday afternoon budget, with some cakes and tea, middle of the range DSLRs and cheap software. The next step up is going to cost an absolute bundle. We'll probably reshoot, but here are the first attempts...

The Yorkshire Tea jingle video
The song Day Release shot in the stone cottage

A panorama taken with the D700 and Sigma 24 1.8
Posted Image

#2 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:11