Photo
- - - - -

New lens for UV

uv uv lens rollei triotar 35/3.5 baader-u 330af20 uv flower sony nex5n-broadband

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 18:38

Hi.
Thought I would share some results from a lens I have been adapting for the Sony Nex-5N, with the aim of making as small a kit for UV as possible. Here are some pics. UV photos were taken handheld.

Nex-5N + new lens (40/3.5 Triotar) all the way in:
Posted Image

All the way out:
Posted Image

Orchid taken with this lens and Baader U at f16:
Posted Image

Orchid with 330AF20 filter (330nm filter with 20nm bandwidth) - sorry but did not focus right as I do not have a UV torch which reaches that deep into UV at f3.5:
Posted Image

It does have a small amount of focus shift, but much better than the Minox lens I tried before.

The UV photos were taken with a flash which I will post about when I have a chance, as it is very easy to mod, has safe triggering voltage, and compares very well with the Vivitar 283/285.

Boon
  • UR586gl86dlkkck6ja66 likes this

#2 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,385 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 15 July 2012 - 19:09

Neat and nice lens - does it focus to infinity as well?
Bjørn

#3 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 19:30

Definitely as you can extend or retract the lens as much as you want. It probably could be used for DSLR as well if you leave it retracted in. I have mounted it on a Leica M body cap and the Hawk's Factory Leica M helicoid focuser, and used the helicoid to do focusing.

In case people are wondering it is the Rollei 40mm f3.5 Triotar which comes from either their B35, 35 LED or C35 cameras. It is 3 elements, as suggested by its name. I think this is as small as it gets. Paired with the TANK007 UV torch and one of the Rollei E15B flashes, it will probably be the most compact UV system one can muster up.

Unfortunately the Rollei flashes though useable for UV (even into 325nm range), it has high trigger voltage so needs to be used with wireless trigger. But the benefit is that you can mount a UV filter on it such as Hoya U330 which allows for 'invisible' photography without the visible flashes. But I've managed to use that flash at f16 ISO800 even though its GN is 15 at ISO 50, and it only uses 2 x AA batteries. BTW, this is not the flash I was using for the UV photos above.

Boon

Edited by tbyork2010, 15 July 2012 - 19:31 .

#4 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,034 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:30

That is a nifty set-up, Boon.
And this Rollei Triotar is sharp as a tack judging from the blue orchid.

How does that retraction/extension work - do you simply push/pull it straight in/out?
Or is rotation needed ?

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#5 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 4,767 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:41

This is really a neat and pocketable UV combo! The triotar would clash the mirror when mounted on the DSLR, though, unless you confine it to (very near) closeups.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#6 tbyork2010

tbyork2010

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:31

The lens extension and retraction is entirely up to you how far you wish to extend or retract it. Do be aware that these Rollei cameras/lenses are fairly old, so the mechanism for extending and retracting may have aged and become a little loose. One of the cameras I bought had a loose mechanism but pristine glass, so I swapped it with one with a better extension mechanism.

As the FFD for Sony E is 18mm and Nikon F is 46.5mm, it is unlikely you will be able to focus to infinity with Nikon DSLR. BTW, I do not extend mine completely when I want to focus to infinity but have to retract it a few mm from the end. Closest focusing distance is around 30-40cm with the helicoid fully extended.

Boon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uv, uv lens, rollei triotar 35/3.5, baader-u, 330af20, uv flower, sony nex5n-broadband

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users