#1 makmanos

makmanos

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 972 posts
  • LocationNYC suburbs
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:42

Went to get a couple of pics of the fireworks this year as well. Here are a couple of pics I thought were worth sharing.
Thanks
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the set from last year's display with a lot more of the fireworks .
-Manos

#2 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:34

To paraphrase a great film "How are you getting on over there without us?) :sungum:
Mike Gorman
My interview thread :- this link

#3 makmanos

makmanos

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 972 posts
  • LocationNYC suburbs

Posted 05 July 2012 - 18:58

Which film was that Mike? :)
-Manos

#4 Almass

Almass

JMJ

• Life Member
  • 708 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 05 July 2012 - 19:26

I like No 2.
It's the picture not the pixels.

#5 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 05 July 2012 - 19:35

Really nice shots!!
Can't read the EXIF - pls share re: #3 - one of the best fireworks shots I've seen!!
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#6 makmanos

makmanos

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 972 posts
  • LocationNYC suburbs

Posted 05 July 2012 - 20:12

Almass, thanks a lot. Didn't put any titles but No 2 is meant to give the impression of an exploding "firework" playing with the skyline of midtown manhattan. Typically you wouldn't be able to get an effect similar to that because you would not have that many boats in the river contributing with their lights at the bottom of the frame. I am wondering if it would have better impact if I cropped more off the sky...

Doug thanks very much! I am surprised you can't read the EXIF. It's all there. I am using "EXIF viewer" on Chrome and I can read everything. But here are details for #3

Exposure time 5.7 secs
F/13
400 ISO
Used the all reliable and excellent 50mm 1.8 Nikkor.
Taken with the D700
Anything else you may need let me know.
Cheers.

Edited by makmanos, 05 July 2012 - 20:24 .

-Manos

#7 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 05 July 2012 - 21:03

Doug thanks very much! I am surprised you can't read the EXIF. It's all there. I am using "EXIF viewer" on Chrome and I can read everything. But here are details for #3

I'm using FF & just upgraded to new version so maybe my EXIF viewer is not working with this new version.
I looked at last year's shots - you do have excellent firework shots. Seeing as I just bought a D700 & have a couple of 50mm s lying around, I must try..............
Thanks again
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#8 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 July 2012 - 14:00

"The Great Escape" when the Americans have made some hooch! :D
Mike Gorman
My interview thread :- this link

#9 Almass

Almass

JMJ

• Life Member
  • 708 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 06 July 2012 - 14:36

I am wondering if it would have better impact if I cropped more off the sky...

Nahhh, good as it is.
  • yunfat likes this
It's the picture not the pixels.

#10 makmanos

makmanos

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 972 posts
  • LocationNYC suburbs

Posted 07 July 2012 - 00:46

I'm using FF & just upgraded to new version so maybe my EXIF viewer is not working with this new version.
I looked at last year's shots - you do have excellent firework shots. Seeing as I just bought a D700 & have a couple of 50mm s lying around, I must try..............
Thanks again

Thanks Doug. Congrats on the purchase of the D700. It's a wonderful piece of gear. So for shooting fireworks what has produced satisfactory results for me is, long exposures , somewhere between 4 and 8 secs, manual focus, and remote. The lens choice in terms of IQ is not as critical I think since you will have the comfort of using the optimal aperture for your lens IQ, given you'll be using a tripod. For the ones from last year for example I was using a wide zoom the 18-35. Which is inferior IQ wise to the 50 1.8 but at f/9 to f/11 more or less it's great as well in terms of sharpness.

This year they must have changed something in the setup of the fireworks display though. I set up at a different spot from last year, directly across from midtown, with a long zoom the 80-200 next to some other photogs .The top 2 pics are taken with that lens. I went with the plan to create frames filled with the skyline, have less sky and have the fireworks in the foreground with more compressed perspective. Once they started firing, we all realized that we were nowhere near any of the action and we had to pack and go! I got on my bike and found a new spot but it was a lot further up the river than I would have liked to be. Don't know if they made a last minute change or what but last year they had barges that they were firing from, that were further upstream.This time it seemed they had none north of 34th street -where the empire state is located. At least I didn't see any. Should be evident if you compare the pics I had from last year. I switched to the 50mm and got some frames like the one I posted here.

Mike, don't think I have watched that one.

Thanks for the input again Almass.

Edited by makmanos, 07 July 2012 - 00:52 .

-Manos

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fireworks, nyc, july 4th

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users