The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nik Software - Complete Collection - Lightroom Edition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 03 July 2012 - 20:14

Hi,

I consider buying this (I don't use/own Photoshop), but I will of course download the trial version first to see it. I do have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer.

I've read that it "ruins" your RAW workflow, basically it doesn't work on the RAW files but on a generated image it creates?

How big a deal is that and how is the editing history saved then?

Update:
One last question: If I buy it, do I get it for both Windows and OS X as I do with Lightroom?

Edited by jramskov, 03 July 2012 - 20:18 .

Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#2 JBPhoto

JBPhoto

Professional & NPS Member

• Life Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 03 July 2012 - 21:30

I can't answer your questions as to Aperture but my understanding is it works on a copy of your file so you have the original and the Nik version. They offer lots of free webinars so check them out, http://www.niksoftwa...e/usa/index.php

I have the Complete Edition but use it in PhotoShop.
James

- If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. -

#3 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:21

I believe that NikSoftware requires a host application (Photoshop, Lightroom, or Aperture) to operate. It is not a standalone program. OnOne software is standalone and integrated with the above programs.
There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#4 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:34

$349 for the Complete NIK collection — and you still need to buy a Hosting Program (Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture).

Or $299 (or $29 per month via the Cloud) for the full Photoshop CS6 Upgrade which (if you learn to use it!) will do everything which NIK can do — and a whole lot more besides!

I frankly do not understand why anyone buys these plug-ins.

#5 hwh150175

hwh150175

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:57

I love Nik's Silver Efex for my B+W images - however since it works on a tiff image from lightroom in a pure lightroom workflow, you can not go back and change things... so thats about the only reason I bought a subscription on Photoshop 6.. I really only use it for opening the file as a psd (from lightroom), then applying silver efex as a smart filter... But being able to modify a conversion is all worth it to me.. I often change my conversions slightly several times before I am finally happy with the result, but it takes days to get to the final result - and sometimes a couple of prints.

One _could_ try to learn hov to convert with equally good result in photoshop but silver efex is the least pricey item in the workflow - and I get the results I want..

If lightroom itself could use smart filters.? oh wow - photoshop would be gone in an instant, but I have the feeling im not the only person working like this - so why kill a very good money making cow ;)

#6 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:45

JBPhoto: I use Lightroom, not Aperture, but I could imagine these plugins works in much the same way whether it is Lightroom or Aperture - I think it might be different in Photoshop.

I believe that NikSoftware requires a host application (Photoshop, Lightroom, or Aperture) to operate. It is not a standalone program. OnOne software is standalone and integrated with the above programs.

Yes, and I do use Lightroom. My question is about how the integration works. Is the editing I do in the plugin saved in seperate sidecar files or how is it done?
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#7 Jyda

Jyda

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,256 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:04

To save time? I guess many people would rather be out shooting than for example spending hours trying to emulate different film types in PS if somebody has already done all that work and written a plugin for it.
/Johnny

Google+

I care about picture quality, not pixel quality. - Jay Maisel

#8 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:09

When a plugin is activated from Lightroom the image can be exported (or not) with the current Lightroom settings applied. A TIF file is created (which can be grouped with the original file in Lightroom). The Nik plugin then is opened with the TIF file and the filter settings can be applied. When done the modified TIF is available in Lightroom. Disadvantage of the Lightroom method is the applied settings in the NIk plugin are not visible or available for modification. A workaround is to make a preset in the Nik plugin of the settings for the current image, just name it with the filename. This is of course complex. NX2 does a better job, all settings applied in NIk Color Efex are available for later use. Using the smart filter option in Photoshop also seems to allows later modification. I haven't used this option yet, others may comment on this route.

#9 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:15

$349 for the Complete NIK collection — and you still need to buy a Hosting Program (Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture).

Or $299 (or $29 per month via the Cloud) for the full Photoshop CS6 Upgrade which (if you learn to use it!) will do everything which NIK can do — and a whole lot more besides!

That price is for the Photoshop version. There's a "complete collection" for Lightroom which is currently on sale for $224.95.

I don't have Photoshop, so the price is not $299, it's $699. That's considerably more expensive than Lightroom + these plugins.

The reason I'm interested in these plugins is that I've seen several pictures here on NikonGear that's edited with Nik's Silver Efex and I quite liked those. No doubt it is possible to reach the same results with Photoshop itself, the question is how easy/fast you can get there? I have a hunch I will be able to get a result quicker with these plugins than with Photoshop.
Joergen Ramskov

#10 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:15

There are a lot of good and useful filters available in the Nik s/w. These filters are often not used just by lazy people but by people who use them in a creative way. And aren't creativity and imagination both essential for photographers?

Edited by Luc de Schepper, 04 July 2012 - 08:15 .

#11 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:20

When a plugin is activated from Lightroom the image can be exported (or not) with the current Lightroom settings applied. A TIF file is created (which can be grouped with the original file in Lightroom). The Nik plugin then is opened with the TIF file and the filter settings can be applied. When done the modified TIF is available in Lightroom. Disadvantage of the Lightroom method is the applied settings in the NIk plugin are not visible or available for modification. A workaround is to make a preset in the Nik plugin of the settings for the current image, just name it with the filename. This is of course complex. NX2 does a better job, all settings applied in NIk Color Efex are available for later use. Using the smart filter option in Photoshop also seems to allows later modification. I haven't used this option yet, others may comment on this route.

Thanks, that's answers my question and makes me wonder whether it is worth buying it for Lightroom. I will just have to try it and see if it's worth it to me.
Joergen Ramskov

#12 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:29

Or you could buy Photoshop Elements for less than € 100 ? and assign this as external editor in Lightroom. Then activate the Nik Plugin from PSE and use the smart object route. Warning; I haven't tried this myself. Perhaps download trial versions of PSE, LR and Nik Silver Efex and try if it works for you?

#13 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,935 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:31

one route for me is ,most of the time, nx2 for raw editing save as tiff to open in cs5, where i may do a curve
and niks for either contrast or bw and image borders
one has to learn to be cautious with generating noise applying these filters

#14 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:58

Or you could buy Photoshop Elements for less than € 100 ? and assign this as external editor in Lightroom. Then activate the Nik Plugin from PSE and use the smart object route. Warning; I haven't tried this myself. Perhaps download trial versions of PSE, LR and Nik Silver Efex and try if it works for you?

That could be a solution, though it's a less than optimal solution to have to buy another program just to use a plugin "properly", but if I understand it correctly, it's a limitation in Lightroom that's makes it impossible?
Joergen Ramskov

#15 JBPhoto

JBPhoto

Professional & NPS Member

• Life Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 19:01

Actually I think the Lightroom and Aperture workflow is the same, neither have the capability to use layers so the Nik filter is applied to either the original or a copy(user defined), I recommend a copy so you always have the original file. So there would be no advantage in buying Lightroom for the Nik suite.

I can't answer the PhotoShop Elements question as I don't know the programs limitations, I use the full blown PS.

SilverEfex Pro 2 is simply amazing and produces stunning black and white conversions including controls over paper toner, texture, film grain, filters, boarder styles etc.

I highly recommend you attend one of the free webinars and ask your questions.

Edited by JBPhoto, 04 July 2012 - 19:05 .

James

- If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. -

#16 PAStime

PAStime

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 265 posts
  • LocationKingston Ontario Canada

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:51

Using the smart filter option in Photoshop also seems to allows later modification. I haven't used this option yet, others may comment on this route.

I too am trying to understand the workflow options of LR and Nik filters. What you wrote makes sense from what I've learned so far. I think that if one uses a smart filter in Photoshop you can only perform future, additional edits in Photoshop if you want to maintain a fully functional and rewindable history list. Need to try playing with it some more.

I find the Color Efex Pro 4 filters remarkable.

Cheers,
Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.