The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Best WA for particular purpose ?...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 01 July 2012 - 19:35

... namely, shooting organs in churches.
What would be your most recommended prime(s) with following characteristics :
FL 18-28
Good to Very good over the whole field at 2.8, which would be my preferred min aperture.
High contrast (typical situation : shooting an organ case with brightly illuminated window in the background), no "bleeding" of bright areas. This is the essential feature here. Reasonably flat field.

AF or MF, I do not care. Close focus is not relevant (distances mostly 2m-20m). Distortion and lateral CA no big issue (systematic PP). Vignetting annoys me more here, better not exceed 1EV @ 2.8

suggestions welcome

#2 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 01 July 2012 - 19:38

24 1.4 AFS Excells on all points

#3 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 01 July 2012 - 19:42

consider the 24mm f/3.5 pc-e. for this kind of work (interiors of large but constrained spaces) i find the shift invaluable.

IQ of the pc-e is not quite up to some of the newer primes, but IMO a 'straight' 24mm is not really wide enough for this sort of thing.

here are some examples - d700 and 24 pc-e, no tripod.

Posted Image

Posted Image
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#4 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,935 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 01 July 2012 - 19:50

14-24

#5 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 01 July 2012 - 19:59

^^^ the question said 'primes' !

#6 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 01 July 2012 - 20:12

Thanks anyway to all !

14-24 is indeed remarkable, but not easy to fit into the bag.

#7 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 01 July 2012 - 20:20

Leica Elmarit-R 28/2.8 version 2.
Bjørn T

#8 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:09

and the Leica can be mounted on a D800 ?

#9 Almass

Almass

JMJ

• Life Member
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:19

and the Leica can be mounted on a D800 ?

Sure it can and wonderfully so!

I have posted few pics with the D800 and the Leica R 28/2.8.
It's the picture not the pixels.

#10 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:22

will have a look, thanks

#11 MMPG1

MMPG1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:35

Hi Airy,

if you want AF, then I can wholeheartedly recommend the Nikon 24 f/ 1,4. If you prefer MF, then the f/2 lenses from Zeiss, the ZF 28 or 25 (which is easier to manual focus than the 28). All three lenses hold the highlights very well.

Best,
Markus

Edited by MMPG1, 01 July 2012 - 21:36 .

#12 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 01 July 2012 - 21:58

Thanks. Why is the 25 easier to focus ?

#13 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 01 July 2012 - 22:24

Should have said that: Leitax.com sells F-mounts for Leica R lenses (Leica's now discontinued range of SLR lenses). The quality of the mounts is excellent and the procedure for swapping the mount is quite straightforward and well documented.

I have done this with the 28/2.8 version 2, note: version 2 is the one to get.
Bjørn T

#14 Tejpor

Tejpor

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:57

I second the suggestion for the Nikon 24mm PC-E. The maximum aperture is below of your need (3.5 instead of 2.8) but this lens will get you shots that no other lens will, including Leica. The tight spaces could lend a good opportunity to use lens shifts... albeit this lens should be operated on a tripod.

If you are into stitching, then you can use the shifted images to merge seamlessly into a large picture - with a very wide FOV.
  • kb41 likes this

#15 JohnBrew

JohnBrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 928 posts
  • LocationFolly Beach, SC

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:05

Airy, give a look at the new Zeiss 15. It is supposed to have a flat field with little or no distortion. Sorry, but I have no personal experience with it.

#16 MMPG1

MMPG1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 July 2012 - 16:30

Thanks. Why is the 25 easier to focus ?

Hi Airy,

I can`t tell you why this is the case. I had the ZF 28 for quite some time and always struggled with it wide open. Then I used the 25 f/2 just one afternoon, and I had no problems because the lens always "snapped in focus".
So, between these two, at least for me the 25 is a much easier to use and more enjoyable lens. But for your purposes, I see also a lot of use for the Nikkor 24 f/ 1,4. While I have problems with the D800 to focus it at f/ 1,4, AF works beautifully at f/ 2. The corners are better than with the Zeiss ZF 25, and you get AF as a plus. Not an easy decision :) .

Best,
Markus

#17 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 02 July 2012 - 23:48

that's exactly what i do when i'm using a tripod - simply take a couple shots with various shifts and stitch together later for a high resolution super wide angle shot. then crop to taste. image quality infinitely superior to taking a single shot with the 14-24 and cropping.

you can also operate this lens hand held fairly easily if you're careful. most of my shots with it are hand held. i use shift all the time, tilt only rarely.

I second the suggestion for the Nikon 24mm PC-E. The maximum aperture is below of your need (3.5 instead of 2. 8) but this lens will get you shots that no other lens will, including Leica. The tight spaces could lend a good opportunity to use lens shifts... albeit this lens should be operated on a tripod.

If you are into stitching, then you can use the shifted images to merge seamlessly into a large picture - with a very wide FOV.

#18 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:33

How about a 28 F2 Ais or Ai Nikkor. Bjorn rates it as a 5. It's great for shooting into the sun without flare so handling shiny pipes in an organ shouldn't be a problem. I have the Ai'd version and it has become one of my favourite lenses. I don't leave home with out it. Regards, Gerry

#19 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:34

So thanks everybody ; to sum it up :
I already own the 14-24 (very good but too bulky to be carried around all the time), and a 20/2.8 Ais (perfect size & weight, but dislikes bright windows, which is the main problem I am facing).

The 28/2 Ai(s) has excellent reputation and I'll buy one when I see one. OTOH wider would be useful, especially since I always have the Zeiss 35/2 with me when doing such kind of pictures.

I see no suggestion around 20mm FL, e.g. the Cosina (IQ not that good it seems) or Zeiss 21mm (quite bulky, so less likely to replace the 14-24 when travelling light). I guess the 20mm AFD has about the same performance as the Ais one.

The PC-E 24/3.5 is a serious candidate, and a weighty and costly one (ouch) though less bulky than the 14-24. I'll never do stitching before I replace my computer by a better one, but I could see the interest of tilt & shift in this context. I was pleased to use the 45 pCE even handheld.

Leica R : I am on the waiting list (there is a Leica shop here in Lille), but no offers so far. As for the Zeiss 25 or Nikkor AFS 24, I'll try and test them in Brussels. The Nikkor is overspecified for my purposes, but (with AF and 1.4) offers other shooting opportunities, so it should be carefully considered.

#20 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,072 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:52

Hi Airy,

if you want AF, then I can wholeheartedly recommend the Nikon 24 f/ 1,4. If you prefer MF, then the f/2 lenses from Zeiss, the ZF 28 or 25 (which is easier to manual focus than the 28). All three lenses hold the highlights very well.

Best,
Markus

the f/2 or f/2.8 from Zeiss ? for less weight, price and bulk I'd rather go for f/2.8 if very good wide open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.