The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

What is stacking?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,971 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:43

I'm not sure of what stacking is done for, please enlighten me. :dontknow:

Presumedly it's putting one photo or more on top of each other?
Mike Gorman
My interview thread :- this link

#2 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:46

In an indirect manner, yes. Basically you run a series of shots in which focus is slightly shifted, then let software pick the areas which are sharp from each individual frame and "stack" them into a single frame.

The underlying idea is to get "deeper" depth of field than you can achieve just by stopping down and hopefully you can get much better overall quality at the same time.

A related approach is stitching in which frames of the same subject (taken to include different parts of it) are combined into a final image. This picture will have a wider field of view and at the same time, contain more pixels, than each separate frame.

Stitching and stacking can be combined, but this is cumbersome and time-consuming.
Bjørn

#3 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Life Member
  • 7,952 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:48

Mike - Michael Erlewine does this is such a beautiful way - understanding how its done and does it properly - I hope he will reply here.
He also has written quite a bit on the subject and has some books available - for free - on his website.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#4 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,971 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:54

Elsa and Bjorn thank you very much, I understand a little more. I thought it might be a variation of HDR which I'm not a fan of.

This is an example of why I'm a fan of NikonGear almost instant answers, brilliant. :good:
Mike Gorman

#5 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,971 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:19

I have downloaded one of Michael's PDFs and I shall have a good read of it, thanks for the tip Elsa. :good: :good: :good:
Mike Gorman

#6 HansC

HansC

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,383 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 30 June 2012 - 19:27

Mike, HDR is also stacking, in particular to find the "best" exposed part of the various images to squeeze a much larger dynamic range into a regular picture than possible with the capture device (your sensor).

Quite usually, it's the tone mapping that isn't to many people's tastes. The actual HDR before tone mapping isn't really visible, as it contains too much dynamic range for the current display devices.
HansC, doin' life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.