#1 rbsinto

rbsinto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 934 posts
  • LocationThornhill Ontario Canada. Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 00:22

This is a photo that took about five or six tries to finally get.
Tony's is a barbershop on Queen Street east that I often pass on my way into or out of downtown Toronto.
The photo took a number of attempts to get because every time I passed the shop there was a problem with the scene; Tony was giving a haircut, a vehicle was parked in front of the shop, or it was closed. Finally, one day last spring I drove by and the scene was perfect.
I parked across the street, rolled down the car window, shut the motor and grabbed this shot with a long zoom.
As an aside, the lettering on the window is one of the last remaining examples of signwriting by the Queen Street Slasher. For many years, the Slasher, armed only with a couple of cans of One-Shot Lettering Enamel, and a brush roamed this area of the city painting store signs for the local merchants.
His work was characterized by its primitive, freehand letterstyle, the ever-present drop-shadow, and the tendency of his letters heights to decrease from left to right as he ran out of space.
I think the lettering adds to the "feel" of the image.
motorized Nikon FA
zoom-Nikkor 80~200 2.8 ED AIS manual focus
Fuji Sensia II
exposure probably f4 or 5.6 @ whatever
handheld

Attached Files

I shoot film. That's film. F...i....l....m. You remember film don't you? It was in all the papers.

#2 hans

hans

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:13

Great capture,reminds me of 'Get Shorty '

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users