The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Photozone reviews the 28/1.8G

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:32

http://www.photozone...nikkorafs2818ff

Sharpness is good wide-open, excellent stopped down and no focus shift was found.

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#2 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:58

I agree with their findings.
My copy shifts focus a bit when stopping down but it never plagues me.
As for the "dreaded" vignetting I don't care because I like vignetting when shooting with wide apertures. Need for no vignetting is, for me, when landscaping and then I opt for small aperture holes.
Machina fotografica necesse est

#3 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:23

Well how about that,,, :)
I also agree with their findings... MF is a little on the rough side but acceptable for the price.

#4 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 03 August 2012 - 23:16

I picked up mine last week and am very impressed so far. It is an outstanding lens at today's prices.
Best Regards, Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

#5 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:24

Guys, can I ask your advice on the recent "1.8 range" of lenses?

I rented a 35mm f1.4 earlier this year and really liked it. I only have a D300 and noticed at least one review saying the f1.4 was a waste on DX and that the f1.8 would be fine for DX since the edge performance was about the only thing that set the two lenses apart.

I can't say if/when I'd move to FX so would you agree with this, or are there other aspects of the f1.4 range which you feel are worth paying the price premium for? I'm interested in your views on using with a D300 on:
  • 35mm
  • 28mm

Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#6 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:06

'Wasted' is a harsh word to use, I would say 'overkill' or 'luxury' to describe it...
You are also comparing two different focal lengths...
Please remember; moving from DX to FX the DOF gets even slimmer with the same lens for most cameras...
Mostly the difference is also the build quality, feel of MF etc.
Unless your a Pro I see no need for the one stop difference here.

#7 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:56

Thanks Eric. Just to confirm, I'm mainly interested in the 35mm. I also like the options that wide apertures give for shallow DOF on these lenses plus some flexibility in low light (given my D300 has less ISO capability)

So i guess my main questions are
1) Whether the extra 0.4 aperture would in practice give me any more options (given your comment on only FX being able to make as good use of shallow DOF)?

2) If there are any other aspects of performance between the the f1.4 & f1.8 versions of the 35mm that you guys feel are relevant?

2) I currently have a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, so was looking for some thing a little different. The prime appeals from a simplicity & quality angle. An alternative might be the 16-35mm f4, but here I'd mainly be gaining the VR and any extra quality this lens offers over the Sigma.

The only reviews I've read in this area are here. Since he also gives favourable comments about the f1.8 version of the 28mm, this got me thinking:
http://mansurovs.com...5mm-f1-4-review
Colin

#8 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:40

Colin,

The 35mm 1.8 is a very fine lens that does not give up much in comparison to the 1.4.

Another outstanding lens on the D300 in the "normal" focal length range is the 40mm 2.8 micro which I have been using more than the the 35 1.8 lately.

Edited by BillM, 05 August 2012 - 09:41 .

Best Regards, Bill

#9 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 05 August 2012 - 13:58

Thanks Bill.
In a way, since the f1.8 seems so cheap (£150 in the UK???) it's almost as easy to buy one as to rent the f1.4 again!

I'd be interested in anyone elses view on my options, plus any thoughts on the 16-35mm. I'm still weighing up how much I would be losing in DOF options going from an f2.8 to F4 (whatever light gathering options the VR of the Nikon zoom would give me).
Colin

#10 palalaikka

palalaikka

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationOulu, Finland

Posted 05 August 2012 - 14:35

I have had 35/1.8 AF-S with D300 and I currently have 35/1.4 AF-S with D700. Here are my thoughts:
- 35/1.8 AF-S is sharp lens and without doubt can provide crisp pictures in DX. But, it doesn't render like 35/1.4 AF-S.
- The difference between maximum aperture f/1.4 and f/1.8 is not alone worth the price difference between these lenses.
- My recommendation is to buy 35/1.8 AF-S and rent 35/1.4 AF-S again so that you can shoot with both over a weekend or so.
Then you will know which one is better for you. It is easy to get rid of 35/1.8 AF-S on second-hand market if you will decide to get 35/1.4 AF-S.

#11 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 05 August 2012 - 14:48

Your posting in the 28mm 1.8 thread....
So my answer was regarding 28mm 1.8 AFS or 35mm 1.4 AFS both FX lenses! 35mm 1.8 AFS is DX only!

1) Whether the extra 0.4 aperture would in practice give me any more options (given your comment on only FX being able to make as good use of shallow DOF)?
It is almost one stop difference!
The FX vs. DX is not weather the FX can use the shallow DOF - the same lens on FX has less DOF compared to the same lens on a similar DX camera. Think of D3 vs D300 for instance or D3 vs. D2Xs
2) If there are any other aspects of performance between the the f1.4 & f1.8 versions of the 35mm that you guys feel are relevant?
Two completely different lenses in rendering! 35mm 1.4 and 28mm 1.8 are more alike.

The only reviews I've read in this area are here. Since he also gives favourable comments about the f1.8 version of the 28mm, this got me thinking:
http://mansurovs.com...5mm-f1-4-review
On this site there has been several threads of 28 1.8 AFS

Edited by Erik Lund, 05 August 2012 - 14:49 .

#12 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 05 August 2012 - 19:24

Thanks Pasi, excellent logic.
Actually my biggest puzzle was how the f1.8 versions can be close in performance when they only cost around 10% of the f1.4 versions!
It's useful to know about the rendering difference. My strategy is to acquire the best quality glass I can afford, so I would have considered the f1.4....

Eric, I apologise - I was jumping in on this thread. However I understood it to be partly a discussion on how the f1.8 version of the 28mm compared with its more expensive f1.4 relative, so it seemed appropriate.
Colin

#13 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 00:55

Here is something a bit more on the topic of this thread. Two images made with the new 28 f/1.8G from yesterday. Both shot at f3.2

Click to see full size image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by BillM, 07 August 2012 - 00:46 .

Best Regards, Bill

#14 Maarten

Maarten

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 50 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 06 August 2012 - 16:41

Wow Bill, nice pictures and very cool subjects you got there! I see an early model P-51, a modified Bearcat and an original 707? Where is this?

Cheers, Maarten

#15 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 06 August 2012 - 18:47

Bill, the D4 and this lens makes a great combo. Wonderful shots!

Maarten, good catch on the early P-51 but this one has a 4-blades prop while the A-36 Apache or Invader had a 3-blades prop. The canopy does not look like it is a P-51B/C. Do you recognize this variant?

The F8F Bearcat looks good but something got lost in the translation from its Navy Blue to this color.

Edited by Larry, 06 August 2012 - 19:54 .

#16 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 06 August 2012 - 19:17

Hi Bill,

Wonderful lighting of wonderful warbirds. I guess the Mustang is the early P51B variant. Only later the P-51D had the bubble canopy.

Regards, Daniel

#17 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 06 August 2012 - 20:12

Hi Bill,

Wonderful lighting of wonderful warbirds. I guess the Mustang is the early P51B variant. Only later the P-51D had the bubble canopy.

Regards, Daniel

No, this is definitely not the P-51D or P-51K. While the canopy looks like it is from the P-51B/C, there is something different about it as it seems to be missing the rear half-glass first used in the P-51A, then in the P-51 B/C variants. Perhaps the canopy was modified and the rear half-glass was taken off when this aircraft was converted to a civilian racer. If anyone knows of where one can find a Malcolm-hooded P-51 B/C on display, please kindly let me know.

OK, let's get back to topic which is the Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G. :D

Edited by Larry, 06 August 2012 - 21:23 .

#18 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 23:37

Thanks Maarten, Larry and Aerobat.

These were taken at the US National Air & Space Museum Complex near Dulles Airport.

The P51C and F8F-2 are both heavily modified "Warbirds" used for racing. The Turner RT-14 is a custom built racing plane from the 1930's

Links to the museum pages for these aircraft: P51C Mustang F8F-2 Bearcat Turner RT-14 Meteor

About the camera and lens: I picked up the 28 1.8 the same day I picked up the D4. The D4 is smarter than I am and the 28 1.8 is simply fantastic. I am looking forward to using this combo for a long time to come.
Best Regards, Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.