The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Manipulating Catchlights

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FXMPhoto

FXMPhoto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 287 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL USA
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 June 2012 - 17:37

This past Mother's day I decided to try out a little trick I had seen from Belgian photographer Bert Stephani a while back. He used a mask on his softbox to produce a shaped catchlight on to a person's eyes. His setup can be seen here.

I used my Wescott Apollo and taped a heart shaped cut-out in front of it. The results are very encouraging.

Posted Image
Flavio Martins
My Website | My Blog | Flickr | Google+ | facebook
D300s, D70s Nikkor 18-70 , 50 f1.8 , Sigma 70-200 f2.8, SB800, Vivitar 285HV, Lumopro 120 & 160
Follow me on Twitter: @fxmphoto

#2 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Life Member
  • 7,952 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 13 June 2012 - 18:26

I think there is a market for something like this. Might be a fashionable for a period of time - but on the other hands new kids are "grown" everyday, new lovers have a first valentine's day etc. in my opinion tho, if you use a shaped softbox, both eyes (and therefor catch-lights) should be sharp.

WELL DONE for trying something new. whether anyone else likes it or not is not an issue here - its the principle and doing something out of the box (on NG anyway)
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#3 FXMPhoto

FXMPhoto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 287 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL USA
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 14 June 2012 - 16:36

Yep, I agree 100% Elsa. This was a "proof of concept" shot for me. I was lucky to even get this shot, she was really fussy that day and in no way appreciated the effort I went through to make that mask for the softbox :lol: Now that I'm confident it works, I will try it again with the proper attention to expression, BG, DOF, etc...
Flavio Martins
My Website | My Blog | Flickr | Google+ | facebook
D300s, D70s Nikkor 18-70 , 50 f1.8 , Sigma 70-200 f2.8, SB800, Vivitar 285HV, Lumopro 120 & 160
Follow me on Twitter: @fxmphoto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.