The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

The Lumodi Beauty Dish

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FXMPhoto

FXMPhoto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 287 posts
  • LocationJupiter, FL USA
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 12 June 2012 - 18:39

Earlier this year I decided to act on the recommendation of Scott Kelby who included the Lumodi beauty dish on his Christmas gear list. I was looking for a flash modifier that was not too big (I already have a Wescott Apollo) and not too small. This seemed like the perfect compromise.

When It arrived, I immediately put it to the test with my - reluctant - step-daughter. Here is the setup with my SB700.

Posted Image

This modifier was exactly what I was looking for. Small enough to lug around without much trouble but just big enough to give you a great quality of light. Another benefit is that it's easy to mount the flash to quickly and you can still use Nikon's CLS to trigger the flash (a small inconvenience of the Apollo).

Here are some of the results:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Flavio Martins
My Website | My Blog | Flickr | Google+ | facebook
D300s, D70s Nikkor 18-70 , 50 f1.8 , Sigma 70-200 f2.8, SB800, Vivitar 285HV, Lumopro 120 & 160
Follow me on Twitter: @fxmphoto

#2 chgortari

chgortari

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 85 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, Texas
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 12 June 2012 - 18:47

You have some nice photo's on your website.
Clyde :good:

#3 FXMPhoto

FXMPhoto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:00

Thank you very much Clyde
Flavio Martins
D300s, D70s Nikkor 18-70 , 50 f1.8 , Sigma 70-200 f2.8, SB800, Vivitar 285HV, Lumopro 120 & 160

#4 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Life Member
  • 7,952 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 12 June 2012 - 19:03

I am impressed with the beauty dish on a speedlight. !
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#5 FXMPhoto

FXMPhoto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 23:00

I am impressed with the beauty dish on a speedlight. !

Elsa, so am I. It's small, very light, and quick to setup. The light is surprisingly good. I am very happy with it.
Flavio Martins

#6 jimeast

jimeast

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 14:08

Very nice results. I do not have any lighting accessories beyond several flashes and the SU-800. The Lumodi looks like a perfect tool to get me going with a simple setup I can practice some portrait lighting with. Can someone recommend an optimum size for a beginner?

Edited by jimeast, 13 June 2012 - 14:09 .

#7 FXMPhoto

FXMPhoto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 16:53

Jimeast, I have the 14" soft white version and it is perfect for portraits. Add a reflector to the setup and you have some very nice portrait options.
Flavio Martins

#8 JBPhoto

JBPhoto

Professional & NPS Member

• Life Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2012 - 18:34

If you are a DYI kinda person check this out for about $20 bucks.

• hillsidekim likes this
James

- If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. -

#9 FXMPhoto

FXMPhoto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:18

JBPHoto, yes that works and seems to be a fun day project too. I think the Lumodi dish is a little more efficient (the light does not have to go through the plastic) and lighter than this DIY version would be. Still a good alternative and could save you some money.
Flavio Martins

#10 hillsidekim

hillsidekim

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationHillside, Illinois U.S.A.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:41

Looks like an interesting project, James. Think I may try something like that but maybe with some modifications. Thanks for the ideas.
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

#11 JBPhoto

JBPhoto

• Life Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2012 - 17:21

Can't say I have built this DIY BD but I found the process interesting for those who use speed lights. Personally I'd find another solution for the inside reflector that didn't use the CD container which may influence WB and certainly cut down light output a tad.

I have a Speedotron 22" BD for my strobes with the grid and sock as well as a portable battery source for AC but a smaller cheap version is intriguing. However the trick with a BD is to get it in close to the subject for soft light, usually no more than 2-3x the diameter of the dish.

Edited by JBPhoto, 20 June 2012 - 17:24 .

James

#12 hillsidekim

hillsidekim

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationHillside, Illinois U.S.A.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 19:17

Right now, Lumodi has a special until September 30th of the 14" BD kit and the 11" BD kit for $119 total and are offering free shipping for this weekend. I bit the bullet and ordered the combo. They will ship international for 50% of the normal shipping also for this weekend.
I never did get around to the DIY kit. This special seems so much easier.
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

#13 Bilbo

Bilbo

Chairman's Challenge Moderator, POTW Committee

• POTW Committee
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationUSA, Michigan, Northern Detroit

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:43

I built one of these DIY beauty dishes and it works very well.
At 10 ft. from my subject ISO200 it meters at f/8. It's a little
harsh so I looking to figure out a sock for it. Fits nice with
an SB800 but a little loose with an SB600.
Glenn Email:glenn@nikongear.com
http://www.uniquecustomphoto.com

"Don't argue with STUPID people, they will only bring you down to their level and win with experience"

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place."

#14 JBPhoto

JBPhoto

• Life Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 September 2012 - 00:04

I built one of these DIY beauty dishes and it works very well.
At 10 ft. from my subject ISO200 it meters at f/8. It's a little
harsh so I looking to figure out a sock for it. Fits nice with
an SB800 but a little loose with an SB600.

BD's are best kept to 2 or 3 x their diameter from the subject so 14" BD shouldn't be any further away than 42", better at 28" for the full soft effect. 10 feet is way too far and will yield harsh lighting due to its small size, dial the power back to get the f-stop you need.
James

#15 Bilbo

Bilbo

Chairman's Challenge Moderator, POTW Committee

• POTW Committee
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationUSA, Michigan, Northern Detroit

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:57

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.
Glenn Email:glenn@nikongear.com
http://www.uniquecustomphoto.com

"Don't argue with STUPID people, they will only bring you down to their level and win with experience"

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.