#81 simsurace

simsurace

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 579 posts
  • LocationBern, Switzerland
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:42

stuff coming out of Lightroom and ACR cannot hold a candle to that which I see coming out of NX2.

I would be interested to hear which properties you are talking about - i.e. color rendition, image detail etc.

#82 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:51

Everything about the images looks better. Sharpness, tonality, colour. When I use Lightroom the images are drab and lifeless and it takes a lot of tweaking to get them to look anywhere near as good as they do when I use NX2.

Incidentally I am using the D2X Mode III picture control. I never have to adjust anything other than exposure when I use this. Might just be my tastes, but it works for me.

Since updating to 2.3 and adding an additional 4GB of RAM to my Mac Mini (C2D) I am experiencing no problems with the performance of NX2.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#83 arthurking83

arthurking83

A royal pain in the ass

• Life Member
  • 946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:33

I just scanned through my resource monitor logs, and when I open CNX2, I don't get any mysterious looking external connection listings.

The only external connections made with ViewNX2 is if I use the GeoTag feature, where it opens a Google Map screen to pinpoint GPS co-ordinate locations of any images.

This is to be expected tho. Closing that Geo Tag feature page seems to take quite some time to close those external connections. Eventually the VNX2 connections close down tho.

Have you tried the previous version of CNX2, which would be v 2.3.1
v2.3.2 is the update for compatibility with the D3200.
v2.3.1 is the update that or D800 raw files

#84 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:52

My history annotations regarding Nikon Capture NX2 are as follows;

2.2.4 (first installation): glacially slow, but otherwise functional.

Upgraded to 2.2.8 to have support for newer cameras which ended in total crash ad hangs. Even had to reboot the computer. In particular nasty behaviour on my Win7/64 bit machine.

2.3.0 ran fine under XP (32bit) and Win7 (64 bit). Speed improvement noticed although nobody in their right mind would designate NX2 as being "fast".

2.3.1 wasn't really tested so cannot tell whether or not it caused issues. I might just have done the upgrade.

2.3.2 caused a lot of grief as detailled in this thread. Both under Win7 (64 bit) and XP (32bit). Fortunately these issues apparently have been sorted, but heavens know for how long. I have developed a healthy distrust for Nikon software - wonder why? Speed now adequate (64 bit) but I'm underwhelmed. 32 bit setups run slow.
Bjørn

#85 arthurking83

arthurking83

A royal pain in the ass

• Life Member
  • 946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:59

..... Times does fly doesn't it.

Whoa! I last remember this thread being only three answers long, and about horribly written Nikon software

my word!! ... time does fly when you're busy.

But as we're now on the topic and off the original topic, I now noticed a new, or rather interesting observation with D800 files, that I've never seen in any of my D70s files.

One of the only other image specific software I choose to install on my PC, is FSViewer from Faststone.
One option is allows the user is to use embedded image for the viewing of raw images, purely for the sake of speedy reviewing, and it's faster than CNX2 for viewing large raw files quickly, but no longer faster than VNX2 for viewing raw files.
(it used to be but now no longer, so I rarely use FSViewer much now, other than as a mobile image viewing solution).

Anyhow, back to the observation.
Using FSViewer and looking at the D800 files provided by Rob Galbraith, if I leave FSViewer in jpg viewing mode, the D800E file has barely any moire remaining in the image any more(as it's displaying the embedded jpg file, within the raw file.
If I set FSViewer to display the full raw file, which then turns FSViewer into a real slug.. slower than CNX in fact!! .. then the opposite quality rendering begins on the images.
The shoe in the D800E file has dramatic and marked moire rendering using FSViewer, where it's minimal in CNX2 or VNX2 on the raw file.
So the end result is that :

FSViewer renders the jpg image in the nef file much cleaner than even CNX2 or VNX2 do.
I thought that VNX2 used jpg preview files for image previewing as well, but judging from the images, it doesn't seem too.
It seems that the D800 may have some internal moire removal processing step as part of it's file handling.
Moire is still present in the D800 image as well on the raw file rendering in FSViewer too, not as much but a bit disappointing.
But both the raw files look dreadful rendered in FSViewer compared to how they look in CNX2 and VNX2.
Edges look ghastly to say the least.

I haven't had the opportunity to do a jpg extraction from a D800/E raw file yet to see if the jpg does indeed have any in camera anti moire processing done to it, or if it's a FSViewer processing thing.

Got to get to bed early, for a early and long day tomorrow .. night all.

#86 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 13:23

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I have had NX2 since it was released and never had any serious problems with it, neither the new upgrade -not even with D3x.s huge files and NIK software CEP 3 as plug in for NX2 and working with Tif.s - it runs better and faster than Photoshop CS3 with the same plug in.

It has crashed a few times during the years, but only very few, and then I just had to rebote.

(XP Pro, 2.4 GHZ, 4MB RAM)

Edited by Steinar, 15 May 2012 - 13:27 .

#87 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 15 May 2012 - 13:41

Tis like one thinks a chem lab with paper and a variety of tweezers, jars, trays, etc. is quicker :tease:
Glad you busted it Bjørn!
Machina fotografica necesse est

#88 simsurace

simsurace

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 579 posts
  • LocationBern, Switzerland

Posted 15 May 2012 - 16:45

Everything about the images looks better. Sharpness, tonality, colour. When I use Lightroom the images are drab and lifeless and it takes a lot of tweaking to get them to look anywhere near as good as they do when I use NX2.

That might actually be solvable by changing the default settings and camera profile to your liking. I agree that when you initially load your images, they are more often than not on the flat and dull side. Actually, I prefer this as a starting point because I can then manipulate the image according to what I would like to see and I'm not that much influenced by what the converter suggests.

Nice thing is that there is a variety of converters on the market accommodating the various needs of different photographers.

#89 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Life Member
  • 7,952 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 15 May 2012 - 18:30

Nice thing is that there is a variety of converters on the market accommodating the various needs of different photographers.

EXACTLY !!

thanks for saying that :)
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#90 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 708 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 18:51

When you import nef's into Lightroom watch what happens when you click on the initial preview that is imported. They look great and then a second later ACR strips them of the Picture Control, putting its own interpretation in place, which to my eye looks awful. Getting it back to something even remotely close to the Picture Control requires a level of expertise in ACR that I am not bothered to aspire to.

Dallas, When Lightroom first came out in 2007, this was the complaint that everyone had...especially if they were-- as I was at the time-- new to digital photo work. It turned out that the initial raw rendering in LR was then, and is now... fully controllable.

Edited by pluton, 15 May 2012 - 18:55 .

Keith B.

#91 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 19:41

How? I've hunted for something but am drawing a blank. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places?

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#92 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,181 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 19:46

Been using Laptops with Linux for more than ten years now. About 6 years ago I stopped keeping windows partitions, I realized I never used them.
If you use Ubuntu on small laptops, I suggest checking out Xubuntu or even Lubuntu, as they are less resource hungry than the main Ubuntu tree. (you can check this out easily by installing xfce or lxde and then switch at login time).

I am really getting into the Ubuntu system now. I have installed and configured the Cairo Dock, which makes it very similar to running OSX. Do you know of any app that might emulate the hot corner behaviour of OSX? I use that extensively and if I can get the Lenovo behaving as closely to OSX as possible I may very well delete the Windows partition and just run Ubuntu on the machine. Actually, I suppose I need to keep it so that I can at least test IE.

Support Fotozones:  

#93 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 15 May 2012 - 22:44

2.3.0 was the best and more stable update
2.3.2 sometimes decides my hard disk is full, I have to kill the darn thing so I can continue working, and of coruse both my hard disks have plenty of space left

as far as LR4 and Nx2, each has advantages, ACR can recover shadows like anything else I have seen , and I miss the clarity and vibrance controls in NX2, when using LR4 I miss the control i have with control points and the sharpness I can get with NX2

Regards,
Armando 

#94 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 15 May 2012 - 23:27

I didn't realise this thread was turning into a sales pitch for Adobe products ....

Consider moving the ACR-related posts to a thread of its own, perhaps?
Bjørn

#95 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 15 May 2012 - 23:42

Certainly.

Do move it for me if you would like to but the object of my first post was to answer Dallas's direct request to know how to set his own Defaults in ACR;

And the reason for my second post was to directly address Armando's concerns about sharpening.

It happens to take me considerable time to put posts together with this amount of detail which I believe some people do find valuable?

However, if Bjørn wishes to exclude or curtail all discussions of a technical nature on NG (unless they relate directly to lenses and cameras) I can see little that will interest me being able to be discussed here and therefore my presence here and any contributions to NG becoming even less frequent than they have been in recent weeks.

#96 JBPhoto

JBPhoto

Professional & NPS Member

• Life Member
  • 588 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 May 2012 - 23:53

Oh come on Ann don't take it that way, NG is not your sandbox. :nono:

Your contributions to this forum I'm sure help others but, as far as thread etiquette goes you have to admit you just can't help yourself when it comes to NX2 and ACR discussions. Every movie clip of derailments seem to converge on this topic. :D

If you feel the need to spout the merits of ACR why not make your own thread and post lots of examples of how great it is? I'm sure those who use ACR will love to read it. :good:
James

- If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. -

#97 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 15 May 2012 - 23:59

Unfortunately, I am rapidly finding that that I no longer have sufficient time nor interest to build sand castles for others to rudely trample on.

#98 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 16 May 2012 - 00:10

Oh, give us a break Ann. I'll move the the relevant posts for you into a separate thread where they find a better home. No information is lost, no "sand castles" have been trampled upon, and certainly no rudeness has been presented.

Go to this thread http://www.fotozones...44-acr-examples to continue any ACR-centred discussion.
Bjørn

#99 Ross

Ross

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 May 2012 - 14:20

Worth a look.

http://forums.dprevi...essage=41649610

NX2 is buggy but dam its good with NEF's. i use it on OSX and Win7 64. (plus other nameless software :-)

Anyway glad you have it sorted nfoto.

#100 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 30 May 2012 - 16:37

Another ridiculous and uninformed initial post on DPR by someone who obviously has little understanding of RAW image processing but the issue seems to have been addressed properly towards the end of the thread by people who actually know how to use their software!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.