The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon R1C1 Speedlight for Macro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Nikon R1C1 Speedlight for Macro (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this flash

1. 1 star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 stars (average) (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. 4 stars (above average) (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

5. 5 stars (outstanding) (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 26 April 2012 - 15:26

What is your experience with the Nikon R1C1 Speedlight? Let us know what you have used it for and how well it has helped you to get the right images.

This topic will be indexed on our cameras page.
Bjørn

#2 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 26 April 2012 - 15:56

I suspect there will be two sets of views on this, the most recent update to Nikon's range of flashes for closeups & macros:
- Those who have used previous models
- Those who are new to them

First impressions are favourable - when you open the large carying case, you find a huge range of addons and acessories that can be used with the two flashguns provided. The system is available in two configurations:
- A cheaper version with 2x SB-200 guns plus accessories
- The full price version, which also contains the SU-800 controller

In general the system works, and someone has obviously spent a lot of time making it as flexible and configurable as possible. So why would I be dissapointed with my purchase? Well I wanted one of these for several years and whilst saving up, I bought a used earlier Nikon macro flash. This had two guns held in a ring that fitted onto the front of the lens, with a cable running to a unit that sat on your hot shoe. It looked unwieldy, but was surprising robust. I used to go on walks round the fields with this, trackiing insects etc. I could have the camera and flash hanging off my shoulder and never had any problems with parts becoming loose whilst walking around, or things getting dislodged when reaching in through branches.

By comparison, the more recent R1 kit feels more flimsy to me. With the ability to pivot flashes in many directions and choose their position around the lens, I feel they now wobble much more. If I don't take time to rigourously check the SB-200 guns have locked in place, they have fallen loose more than once (my fault of course).

There are other small things. The older models let you attach and remove the ring easily from the lens. The newer R1 requires a bigger ring to be screwed into the lens filter thread - if this is left on, you can't remove or switch round the lens hood on the 105mm VR lens.

None of these are showstoppers, but for me the extra versatility offered by this kit comes with a few drawbacks. Of course, the ability to use the CLS system, have large numbers of SB-200's firing at once etc are welcome additions, so I guess this is horses for courses.
  • Dallas likes this
Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

#3 daveg

daveg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 17:57

I bought the R1C1 Kit - Boxed as described by Colin - but without the SU-800. Someone had probably bought the SU-800 separately or maybe it had developed a fault? Who knows? I got it for an excellent price from Mifsud so I was happy. I was originally using it with my D300 and later with my D700 using the internal flash to drive the system.

I later added a third SB-200 which made it more adaptable (if a little heavier).

On the 105 f2.8 VR Micro it has few rivals but it is a heavy combination with the D700.

The other issue is batteries. Rechargeable are available and I have six batteries and 3 chargers. Maplins can supply these in the UK.

The Kit comes with diffusers for the SB-200 units - if you buy a stand-alone SB-200 you don't get a diffuser.

It won't replace a Ring Flash and care needs to be taken to prevent shadows.

All-in-all a reliable and versatile piece of kit!

DG
DaveG

NX2 User; D700; 16-35 f4 VR; 20 f2.8D; 50 f1.4 AF-S; 105 f2.8 VR; 70-300 VR. SB-800 and R1.

#4 helioer

helioer

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 674 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:57

I have the R1C1 kit. I bought it boxed with SU-800 and two SB-R200's and as the bag had "some empty slots" I bought a third SB-R200 and the rest of the missing pieces from eBay (missing diffuser for the third unit), UR-3 adapter for my Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8D etc.

The kit is very versatile and compact. Shadows I see as no problem with a three unit setup as you can adjust all the flashes independently. Controlled shadow also adds 3D to the end result. I use the SU-800 also for studio setup with three SB-800's.

As the R1C1 kit works in pure CLS fashion you can use it with a manual type setup (like shooting thru a PB-6 bellows attached to a el-Nikkor lens) and get perfectly exposed pictures every time.

Erkki

D3s, D3, D200, D70
FX: Nikon 14-24/2.8G, 24-70/2.8G, 28/1.8G, 70-200/2.8G VR, 300/2.8G VR, 60/2.8D+105/2.8D micro, 85/1.4D, 16/2.8D, 50/1.4G, 500/8 reflex C, Sigma 8/3.5 EX, 12-24 EX, 150/2.8 OS EX...
TC: TC-14 E II, TC-17 E II, TC-20 E III
DX: 10.5/2.8, 18-70, 18-200
4*SB800's, R1C1 kit with 3*SB-R200, YN-622 kit (TX+4*RC)...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.