• 2,857 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:04

model shot - just for fun

the studio is to narrow for the size of the dress,
my clumsy cloning job shows badly in the background

Attached Images

• _DSC0470-3-2.jpg

Edited by armando_m, 12 April 2012 - 03:07 .

Regards,
Armando 

#2 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:04

Hi Armando. Nice image and lovely dress. Fashion seems to be all about weird poses, but I think one can still concoct a pose to be flattering. She looks uncomfortable (as they mostly do in fashion) but I would have liked a little more curve in front (as you have on the back) to accentuate an hourglass figure which she obviously has. Add some light to the hair. Chin slightly down. And I would have under-exposed the dress a stop or so - it would have given more contrast and less reflection. Having said all of that - you did well. Editing the background can always be worked on. (the clone job behind her arm....... ouch!! fix up dude :laugh: )
Shooting at at f2.8 of something like that will help stacks too.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#3 Antoinette

Antoinette

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationHaarlem
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 12 April 2012 - 13:16

I don't mind the pose, but somehow the image misses some sparkle, some brightness.
Say what you like
Do what you feel

#4 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 12 April 2012 - 14:35

Thanks Elsa a very thorough comment, i'll fix the area around her arm :)
I only brought the 18-200 zoom
I have problems seeing the expression when zoomed out to 18mm , never thought I would probably need the f/2.8 zoom, if I had it I'm not sure it would help me to see her expression/head position with enough detail to suggest changes

Thanks Antoinette,
Yes I noticed the image a bit flat on the camera display, I made it brighter during PP.
Only had a chance for a couple of shots with this dress, she was already late to go get into another outfit, I had a softbox left of camera and a light towards the background to try and give some separation between the dark hair and the background
Not sure what to do the next time to give it more sparkle

Regards,
Armando 

#5 Mexecutioner

Mexecutioner

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 14:58

Thanks Elsa a very thorough comment, i'll fix the area around her arm :)
I only brought the 18-200 zoom
I have problems seeing the expression when zoomed out to 18mm , never thought I would probably need the f/2.8 zoom, if I had it I'm not sure it would help me to see her expression/head position with enough detail to suggest changes

Thanks Antoinette,
Yes I noticed the image a bit flat on the camera display, I made it brighter during PP.
Only had a chance for a couple of shots with this dress, she was already late to go get into another outfit, I had a softbox left of camera and a light towards the background to try and give some separation between the dark hair and the background
Not sure what to do the next time to give it more sparkle

Try using a 2400W/S ringflash, in addition with the 2 lights you have, that would make it pop. Don't use a diffuser on the ringflash. In PP try using Nik's tonal contrast (part to of CEP4) on the dress, just be judicious as to not overdo it.

#6 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 12 April 2012 - 15:03

Point taken Armando - and ye its so much easier seeing the issues after the fact. Dont think mine are perfect - but everytime I comment on someone else's images it re-enforces what I shoudl look at when I shoot. I often dont see my own problems. This is also how I learn.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#7 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 12 April 2012 - 15:18

Thanks Rodrigo,
the ringflash, I suppose on the other side of the soft box ?

I use tonal contrast, so easy to get carried away , it was used on the dress, default settings, except saturation which was turned to zero.

Elsa, we were three photographers, taking turns, I was there making comments on do this , or do that, and the guys were following my "advice", then when it is my turn I have at times some sort of idiotic lapse that turns on, and since before I didn't kept my mouth shot they considered me the expert and made no comments :laugh:

Regards,
Armando 

#8 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 12 April 2012 - 15:19

hahaha shows you - all about perception :drinks:

#9 Mexecutioner

Mexecutioner

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 18:13

Thanks Rodrigo,
the ringflash, I suppose on the other side of the soft box ?

I use tonal contrast, so easy to get carried away , it was used on the dress, default settings, except saturation which was turned to zero.

Elsa, we were three photographers, taking turns, I was there making comments on do this , or do that, and the guys were following my "advice", then when it is my turn I have at times some sort of idiotic lapse that turns on, and since before I didn't kept my mouth shot they considered me the expert and made no comments :laugh:

You mount your camera to the ringflash, so it will shoot straight out to the model, use the box for fill and the other light(s) for hair and background, or the sides. Maybe a couple of strip boxes on each side, hidden by V-flats would help in this case.

If I was doing this shot I would use a ringflash on the front, one strip on each side, covered by flags or v flats, a big softbox behind me for fill and a light behind her for the background. Not saying this is the way to do it, just stuff I have in my head that I would use if I was attempting this kind of shot.

If the space allowed I would shoot it from further back with a lens not as wide as the one you selected, and from a slightly lower perspective.

#10 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,857 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 12 April 2012 - 18:44

Great! Some things to consider in future shots :drinks:

some of the mentioned lighting equipment is not available at this time, but as you say it doesn't have to be exactly like that

Regards,
Armando 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users