The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Don't Be Afraid of the Big Bad Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,613 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:36

I use a Wacom for drawing & retouching Ann, but use of the stylus as a mouse is hopeless compared with modern "gaming" mice. Covering a 30" monitor with a 24" monitor next to it in portrait orientation with a stylus and 9x12 pad is awkward to say the least. I have my Wacom mapped for full use of the NEC monitor only which gives me enough accuracy, grabbing the mouse gives me fast navigation over both screens, stylus back on the tablet and I'm back to just the one screen border-border on the tablet. No button/key pushes are necessary to switch.

However Photoshop without a Wacom and stylus is just Photosh... and makes about as much sense ;) .

#102 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:39

Manos:

As I said: it's up to you.

But the subject has been discussed widely; computer-users are apparently prone to CTS; and I personally knew one for whom it caused the destruction of her career.

I don't choose to write, paint or draw with a bar of soap and a computer mouse feels exactly like a bar of soap.

Fred:

One of the things that I particularly like about the Wacom is that I can FLY over the tablet (with the stylus in mid-air) to reach any part of the screen — I don't have to drag the mouse around to get there.

Edited by Ann, 26 January 2013 - 01:43 .

#103 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:04

Manos:

As I said: it's up to you.

But the subject has been discussed widely; computer-users are apparently prone to CTS; and I personally knew one for whom it caused the destruction of her career.

I don't choose to write, paint or draw with a bar of soap and a computer mouse feels exactly like a bar of soap.

Fred:

One of the things that I particularly like about the Wacom is that I can FLY over the tablet (with the stylus in mid-air) to reach any part of the screen — I don't have to drag the mouse around to get there.

the cintiq and it's brethren are certainly the best things for drawing, painting, retouching, and so on.

for general interaction with the computer for most people (you may be an exception!) they are hopelessly unergonomic compared to a mouse or trackball. moving your hand 10 to 14 inches (flying or otherwise) to get from one corner to the other of the workspace will always be slower and more taxing than moving your fingers or hand a few inches, or in the case of a trackball, an inch or so.

i love my cintiq, but it gathers dust between retouching sessions.
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#104 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:20

here's my preferred mode of interaction. wireless thumb-trackball. i've used this particular series from logitech for 10 or more years. takes up only a few inches of desk space (since it doesn't move), can be positioned anywhere, and requires no motion other than the joint between your thumb and hand. the latest version is the M570.

Posted Image

paired with a solar powered wireless keyboard (logitech k570, they use the same receiver) it makes for an extremely tidy and flexible desktop. both can be moved out of the way if a free workspace is required.

#105 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:21

Something that may explain why I don't have to make very many major hand movements but am mostly making rather tiny and precise ones, is that I very seldom use Menus for anything.
I have KBSCs for just about every menu-item for virtually all of my apps.. I use them in conjunction with the Stylus and I type with the Stylus wedged in my fingers so never need to put it down (something you cannot do with a mouse!).

Everyone has their own way of working but if you haven't used a Wacom, do try one.

The important thing if you do, is to shut your mouse in the back of your desk drawer and not to let it out for a whole week.

Most people who do that, seem to give up on their mouse almost entirely afterwards.

#106 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:27

Something that may explain why I don't have to make very many major hand movements but am mostly making rather tiny and precise ones, is that I very seldom use Menus for anything.
I have KBSCs for just about every menu-item for virtually all of my apps.. I use them in conjunction with the Stylus and I type with the Stylus wedged in my fingers so never need to put it down (something you cannot do with a mouse!).

Everyone has their own way of working but if you haven't used a Wacom, do try one.

The important thing if you do, is to shut your mouse in the back of your desk drawer and not to let it out for a whole week.

Most people who do that, seem to give up on their mouse almost entirely afterwards.

i've had a cintiq since the 21 inch model was introduced around 2005. about 20 other members of my studio have them and safe to say no mice or trackball are at risk of being given up! this is for reasons of basic productivity as well as the fact that you can't interact with your other monitor using the cintiq's surface! luckily, one can have it both ways.

#107 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:34

Each to his own!

:)

#108 otoien

otoien

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 882 posts
  • LocationFairbanks, Alaska

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:42

Statement should be changed into: using a mouse incorrectly can give you .....

I'm using mouse a lot and have had no trouble at all over many decades of computer use. But I don't put the mouse to the right-hand side of the keyboard for starters.

Bjørn, where do you keep the mouse?
Øivind

#109 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,414 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:56

But I don't put the mouse to the right-hand side of the keyboard for starters.

Interesting, another left hand mouser?

I need my right hand for the keyboard (or the pen).

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#110 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,481 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 03 February 2013 - 13:36

After working with Server 2012 which is a Windows 8 variant with the same user interface, my conclusion is complaints about the demise of the Start Menu are way overblown and are mostly the product of the human species inherent resistance to change.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#111 Humboldt

Humboldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:59

I decided to give Win 8 a try. Yesterday, after 2 months with Win 8, I switched back to Win 7. Frustrated. I think the Win 8 interface is terrible. The interface is disturbing. The new interface has nothing - nada - that really is an improvement. It is, to me, obvious that Microsoft tries to catch up with the tablet/smartphone thing, feeling the pressure from Apple and shareholders who are wondering if Microsoft are left behind on all these new comsumer arenas. I think it also is obvious by now, Windows 8 will not bring them there. But meanwhile, when trying to design an operating system for two very different purposes - they have succeded in producing somethng very stupid. Basicly, this is something aimed for the entertainment/media market. For all these computers at offices and on workplaces, all over the world, where people tries to be productive, why would they need the Metro mess? If saying anything nice about it, at least it has a very lean and less bloated minimalistic window design.

Edited by Humboldt, 11 February 2013 - 11:22 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.