The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Don't Be Afraid of the Big Bad Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:47

I haven't played around with Windows 8 much, so I'll not conclude anything about the interface yet.

Microsoft clearly had to make an alternative to the iPad and Win8 with the Metro interface is exactly that. Where as Apple and Googles approach was to use a smartphone and already touch based OS and optimized it for tablets, MS is trying to make an OS that's optimized for both desktop and tablets. I could imagine it would replace Windows Phone 7 as well at some point.

I think that's a very difficult thing to do. Touch based interfaces are very different from a keyboard and mouse driven interface. By trying to make something that works well for both, they might end up with something less than great for both. From what I understand, the server versions discards the Metro interface, so there's always that option. I hope it will be a succes for them because I believe competition is a good thing.

I think the base OS itself is generally pretty good - I think Win7 is pretty good and a massive improvement over WinXP, but they might have created themselves another Vista in Win8...
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#22 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:05

Just put it to sleep.

I boot my machines only for kernel updates....

cheers
afx

Windows is not robust with respect to sleeping/hibernating. You can do it once or maybe twice, but inevitability, some piece of hardware - usually sound of WiFi will fail requiring a reboot.

#23 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:28

Windows is not robust with respect to sleeping/hibernating. You can do it once or maybe twice, but inevitability, some piece of hardware - usually sound of WiFi will fail requiring a reboot.

Is that Windows 8? I hibernate Windows 7 about three times per day, usually interspaced with putting it to sleep three or four times between each hibernate. While switching hardware configurations as well (monitors etc attached).

The only reason I reboot—usually once per week—is for the various security updates. Outside that restarts are not required.

XP required more reboots but that had more to do with memory leaks from faulty applications; something that seems to be fixed much better in Windows 7.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#24 dslater

dslater

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 330 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:56

Is that Windows 8? I hibernate Windows 7 about three times per day, usually interspaced with putting it to sleep three or four times between each hibernate. While switching hardware configurations as well (monitors etc attached).

The only reason I reboot—usually once per week—is for the various security updates. Outside that restarts are not required.

XP required more reboots but that had more to do with memory leaks from faulty applications; something that seems to be fixed much better in Windows 7.

Windows 2000, WIndows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, ... - doesn't matter I haven't found a windows that can do it reliably ever since the introduction of Sleep/Hibernate. Eventually, some piece of hardware fails to come back up right upon waking.

#25 Humboldt

Humboldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:58

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 a couple of days ago on my laptop. Big misstake. Now the system can´t install any security updates anymore. The system fails and says it can´t configure the updates and it reboots and reboots.
I find the new graphic interface extremely frustrating. It is just in the way and it ad no value whatsoever. At least not on a ordinary computer. Fact is I think the new Windows is such a crappy operating system I might switch to Mac if they don´t come up with something better.

#26 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:58

Or you could "downgrade" to Windows 7 ?

A strange reminder of the Vista days in which laptops were sold with a "downgrade" to XP included. Many took the plunge and found it a relief.
Bjørn

#27 Dave Rosser

Dave Rosser

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThornbury, near Bristol

Posted 07 December 2012 - 16:36

I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 a couple of days ago on my laptop. Big misstake. Now the system can´t install any security updates anymore. The system fails and says it can´t configure the updates and it reboots and reboots.
I find the new graphic interface extremely frustrating. It is just in the way and it ad no value whatsoever. At least not on a ordinary computer. Fact is I think the new Windows is such a crappy operating system I might switch to Mac if they don´t come up with something better.

Go into Desktop, right click bottom left hand corner, select run, run msconfig, select services, tick Hide all Microsoft services, click on disable all and try updating again. In a lot of cases this has cured the problem though in my case all I had to do was disable Naperion Licensing service. Don't forget to go back to msconfig and click on enable all to restart the services you temporarily disabled.

#28 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:48

On pre Win8 machines, I would probably stick with Win7. I'm certainly not convinced about the new "modern" interface, at the very least it will take some time getting used to, especially on the desktop as it is clearly optimized for touch. However, now the laptops with touch screens have arrived and at least for some it seems to work pretty okay: http://www.theverge....windows-8-apple
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#29 Hugh_3170

Hugh_3170

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 799 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:20

Indeed they did - and I am one of those that reverted to XP and have not regretted the decision at all.

That said, Win 7 seems OK.

Or you could "downgrade" to Windows 7 ?

A strange reminder of the Vista days in which laptops were sold with a "downgrade" to XP included. Many took the plunge and found it a relief.

#30 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:02

Except for the stupid new "homegroup" concept and a few other likewise sillies, Windows 7 is indeed OK and adds to the conviction that Microsoft only gets every second flavour of Windows right.

Windows 9, anyone?
Bjørn

#31 Humboldt

Humboldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted 09 December 2012 - 23:08

Go into Desktop, right click bottom left hand corner, select run, run msconfig, select services, tick Hide all Microsoft services, click on disable all and try updating again. In a lot of cases this has cured the problem though in my case all I had to do was disable Naperion Licensing service. Don't forget to go back to msconfig and click on enable all to restart the services you temporarily disabled.

Thank you. After a lot of trouble, disabled services and restarts and finally after installing the uppdates one by one, I have finally managed to uppdate the system. Now I will try it for a couple of weeks to see if I can live with it. I seems to be faster than windows 7.

#32 Dave Rosser

Dave Rosser

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:28

Thank you. After a lot of trouble, disabled services and restarts and finally after installing the uppdates one by one, I have finally managed to uppdate the system. Now I will try it for a couple of weeks to see if I can live with it. I seems to be faster than windows 7.

It certainly boots faster. :D

#33 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:46

It certainly boots faster. :D

From what I understand, a regular reboot is basically a hibernate wake-up. For those of us whe enjoy reliable hibernate/wake-ups the advantage will be a lot less.
Bart

#34 Dave Rosser

Dave Rosser

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 15:30

From what I understand, a regular reboot is basically a hibernate wake-up. For those of us whe enjoy reliable hibernate/wake-ups the advantage will be a lot less.

I have to pay UK energy prices so switch off at the mains every time I shut my desktop computer down - so all boot ups are from "cold".

#35 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 10 December 2012 - 20:07

All that I know is that my neighbour phoned me at 11:45 p.m. the other evening and was absolutely frantic and needed to borrow a hard-wired USB keyboard because updating to Windows 8 had so completely screwed up his whole computer that his wireless keyboard wouldn't work and he could not communicate with his computer in anyway.

I understand that he wound-up wiping his HD completely and making HP re-install OS 7 because once MS ship a new OS they will no longer supply downloads for the earlier one and apparently you do not receive System installation CDs if you buy a HP Computer these days.

Just a cautionary tale . . . !

#36 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 December 2012 - 20:28

Backup(s), including a Disaster Recovery CD/DVD or equivalents*, are mandatory no matter what operating system you are on. We tend to ignore the OS and instead worry about the data, thereby forgetting you cannot access data unless an OS is up and running.

* An easy solution is cloning the OS disk once in a while and store the cloned disk(s) off-site. This won't save the most recent data if you store such information on the OS partition (which is bad practice anyway). However, unless the in-machine disk crashes, one usually can boot from the backup clone and access data on the troubled drive.
Bjørn

#37 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 22:45

I understand that he wound-up wiping his HD completely and making HP re-install OS 7 because once MS ship a new OS they will no longer supply downloads for the earlier one and apparently you do not receive System installation CDs if you buy a HP Computer these days.

They (HP, etc.) have dropped the install CD long ago and instead create a secondary partition with the install media on, so as long as the harddrive is still working, he should be able to get it back to how it was when he got it. That is often not the best option though as they earn some extra cash by installing all kinds of bloatware. You'd think they didn't do that on more professional models, but the Pro series HP laptop my dad in law (correct term?) bought not too long ago included all kinds of bloatware :(

Fortunately, it's possible to do a clean install and unlike what you say, MS do actually still provide images for Windows 7. Arstechnica have created a nice guide, which includes the relevant download links: http://arstechnica.c...ws-on-a-new-pc/
Joergen Ramskov

#38 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:40

I have to pay UK energy prices so switch off at the mains every time I shut my desktop computer down - so all boot ups are from "cold".

Sleep = the PC runs at a minimum of power
Hibernate = the memory contents are dumped into an image file and the computer is turned off. When turning the computer back on, instead of having to load the OS from scratch, the working memory is filled with the contents of the image file and you can continue from there on.

From what I understand, Windows 8 uses some form of hibernation to speed up start time. I suspect that an image is created after a "clean boot" (before logging on) and that is used to start up, as opposed to reading all the system files one by one.
Bart

#39 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:35

Having never been a Windows user, I was able to offer nothing in the way of support or comfort to my neighbour (except for the use of my spare keyboard) but the phrase "Windows 8" certainly figured as an "Expletive Deleted" in his vocabulary that night -- and I think that it will be a very long time before it gets re-installed on his computer!

#40 hillsidekim

hillsidekim

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationHillside, Illinois U.S.A.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:31

I'm planning on buying a new computer (laptop) in the near future. I'm not computer illiterate, but I am certainly not
computer savvy either. Would I be better off going with Windows 7 or Windows 8 (I am now running a 10 year old laptop with Windows XP).
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.