#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,736 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 28 February 2012 - 14:57

In about 7 months time we return to Sabi Sabi's Little Bush Camp for the 2nd time on official Nikongear.com "business". :)

I was just looking through my photos from 2010 and found a few mediocre shots that I haven't shared anywhere yet, so in the spirit of getting back into the safari state of mind, here are a few images you haven't seen before:

_DAL2463.jpg
Sunset at Earth Lodge
The idea I was trying to execute with these shots was something along the HDR lines, but unfortunately with crocs and hippos about I couldn't set up tripod on steady ground, so I tried to shoot these handheld. This is a single frame with a heavy negative compensation, if memory serves.

_DAL2182.jpg
Wine Cellar at Earth Lodge
On one occasion Hugo, the manager at Little Bush Camp, took a few of us to see the remarkable Earth Lodge, which is another of Sabi Sabi's lodges on the reserve. The entire place is built into a massive mound of earth, so it is barely visible when approaching by road. Once inside you are treated to some amazing architecture, part of which includes this very exclusive wine cellar. While we were down there it was so dark I asked Ann if I could borrow her 16mm fisheye to get as much of the place in frame as I could. It was only after we got back outside that I noticed that I had actually been shooting with the 50mm 1.4!

_DAL2510.jpg
An Eagle Owl
Rod Wyndham is a director at Sabi Sabi and also a very well known wildlife photographer. He took us on an evening game drive one day and on the way back we were looking for some of the things that are seldom seen in the day. Here's an eagle owl lit up by one of the spotlights on a Land Rover. Extremely difficult to shoot!

_DAL3000.jpg
Ancient Rock Art
Long before the black and then later white settlers arrived in Southern Africa the country was occupied by the Bushmen. After a short walk, during which time I managed to trip on a rock and bash my shin (but save my D700 from early retirement), we were shown these rock paintings by Richard and Rika. They have been there for a very, very long time.

DAL_1914.jpg
Walking Safari
An optional activity that takes place after the morning game drive and brunch, is a walk into the veld with our rangers. During these walks you get to experience a completely different side of the bushveld. In this image Richard is explaining something along the lines of Ultimate Survival techniques a la Bear Grylls. :)

This year we return to Sabi Sabi with 4 couples. There are still two suites available to us until the end of March, so if you are itching to get to Africa, our door is open. Please also remember that if you can't make the safari dates we would be only too happy to put together a customised trip for you (as we have done for several NG members already).

#2 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,602 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 15:30

Great stuff, D. Many thanks for sharing those!

Was there any of that wine left after the HG group left ???:crazy::crazy:
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#3 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,736 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 28 February 2012 - 15:44

Hehe... Actually, what you are seeing there is only one small section of the cellar. I think Ann has more shots of the entire place, so maybe we can coax her into sharing those with us?

The Earth Lodge is super-exclusive though, at almost double the nightly rate of Little Bush Camp. Check out this gallery of what it looks like: http://www.sabisabi....rthlodgegallery

#4 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,602 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 17:16

Thanks for the link.
Certainly not your normal little "youth hostel" !:crazy:
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#5 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 28 February 2012 - 18:56

Here are a couple more of the wine cellar at the Earth Lodge, Sabi Sabi. These were shot with my 14-24 at its widest:

101_D3S4799-EarthLodge_wine-cellar-web.jpg

101_D3S4801-EarthLodge-Cellar2-copy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users