13 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickO

PatrickO

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 571 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 22 January 2012 - 13:39

Last year I was asked to optimise a factory. One of the improvement areas identified was that of skills transfer, and many of the formal techniques seemed unsuitable for several reasons. Workers performed a variety of roles, and every so often moved from one workstation to another. The knew how to operate the machines, but production dipped for the first few days until they reacquired the knack and the rhythm.

It turned out that an 'old-fashioned' technique was the most effective. Wordy manuals were too verbose and quite unsuitable at describing manual tasks. Videos were better but took time to make and view and could not be presented at the workstation. A photo-essay was useful, but photographs present too much information to be clearly 'read' on the factory floor. Line drawings worked the best, but it took days to prepare a single page of instructions and illustrators were hard to come by. The solution lay in Photoshop (well, Corel for this client). The results were encouraging, plus it gave me an excuse to use the camera more often and I claimed the cost of equipment back from the taxman :)

1. Observe the process and take a series of photographs to illustrate the important steps. Lighting and distortion are not a big deal since the photos will be heavily edited later. Here I used a Sigma 12-24mm.
Posted Image

2. Crop the images to show context and the revelant actions:
Posted Image

3. Prepare a draft of the instructions with photos and words. Allow the client and the workers to provide some input and finalise the content and photo selection:
Posted Image

4. Convert the photos to line drawings. I created a copy layer, applied a trace, changed the colour, added a third layer, used a pen and line tool to draw the key areas, used selective merge and erase to blend in detail, used fill, then changed the colour to the company preference.
Posted Image

5. Now replace each of the photos on the instruction sheet with the line drawings.
Posted Image

6. Laminate each sheet in clear plastic for protection, then hang the pack of sheets from a chain or some form of binding and leave at the workstation.

Edited by PatrickO, 22 January 2012 - 13:41 .

#2 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 22 January 2012 - 13:58

Wow, nice work
I worked with people at a manufacturing line, they do need the best possible instructions, and still they will do unpredictable stuff

Regards,
Armando 

#3 FredCrowBear

FredCrowBear

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 January 2012 - 15:50

I very much enjoy seeing how graphics like this are created. Thanks for posting.

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 22 January 2012 - 16:29

Beautiful result.
This part "used a pen and line tool to draw the key areas" seems like it could be a huge amount of work.
And would also make for a great how-to

Lew
Lew

My latest photo oriented blog posts include "Getting to a Final Image - some words for a new photographer."

Pictures and the occasional blog posting about photography and travel at http://lewlortonphoto.com

Posted Image

#5 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,379 posts
  • Location_
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 22 January 2012 - 16:50

Well done! It takes a lot of work to do these but worth it!

#6 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 22 January 2012 - 18:29

Very well illustrated - not just the cards, but also the whole process.

One point of consideration - the card used is using full color anyway - I would consider coloring the buttons - or at least the button you want to point out - color coding is very powerful and I wouldn't bypass it.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#7 PatrickO

PatrickO

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 571 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 22 January 2012 - 18:32

Thanks for the comments, and you have a good point Bart

#8 Eb Mueller

Eb Mueller

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC, Canada

Posted 22 January 2012 - 18:34

Nicely done! This gives me a good idea how things are done - not that I have a need to do anything similar!
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

#9 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,140 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 22 January 2012 - 18:37

This is one of the most interesting posts I have seen here in a while as it goes beyond the image and through the entire communication process.
See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#10 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

Getting younger every year

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia suburb of Washington DC

Posted 23 January 2012 - 00:11

Absolutely fascinating! Thanks for taking the time to share the steps with us.
Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"
http://howtocatalog.com

#11 Rags

Rags

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:14

That is terrific Pat

Well done

Rags

#12 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 28 February 2012 - 17:02

Very well done and perhaps this post will encourage people to become proficient in the use of the truly valuable Pen Tool.

It takes a little practice to learn the "Finger Dance" but the Pen is such a useful tool once you know how to use it.

#13 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:39

Great job Patrick, very interesting read.

Any chance you could compile a similar set of basic instructions for bankers :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#14 PatrickO

PatrickO

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 571 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 29 February 2012 - 13:23

Thanks all.

Banking... hmmm, a satirical application of this technique then? Something like CM Coolidge or even William Hogarth's 'The Rake's Progress'. Plenty of imagery here, from the imposing austerity of the edifices built to impress us as we deposit our salary cheque, to the baudy glitz of the trading room upstairs where young men high on cocaine get to gamble with vast sums of money and take bonuses even when they get things horribly wrong. Maybe even the hand-wringing politicans, grovelling for votes whilst being chastised by their financial overlords for not quelling the clamour of the enraged mob below. Yes, possible, although the scenes may have to be staged a little :biggrin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users