The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

sb900 on f5?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mitch1

mitch1

• Life Member
  • 29 posts
  • Locationsweden
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 03 January 2012 - 19:46

hi all,

sorry if this has been asked before, can i use an sb900 on an f5 body? fm2 body? f2as body? i guess it would need to be in manual but will it fire??

thanks for any help.

/mitch
/mitch
www.mitchcohen.se

#2 scottnilsson

scottnilsson

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 03 January 2012 - 21:27

If no one responds before the morning, Mitch - I'll bring a 900 to the studio tomorrow to fire up (my F5 is here)... Hälsningar till moderlandet, och gott nytt år - Scott
Scott Nilsson / Atlanta
http://scottnilssonphotography.com
https://www.facebook...sonPhotographer
http://scottnilsson.zenfolio.com (new site-build in progress)

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..." ~ Wayne Gretzky

#3 charlie

charlie

-

• Life Member
  • 2,155 posts
  • Locationlos angeles

Posted 04 January 2012 - 19:26

It will work in M and A modes for certain with all of these cameras.

With the F5 it may work in more modes but I do not believe it will have full functionality as the F5 was built before iTTL.

#4 mitch1

mitch1

• Life Member
  • 29 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted 04 January 2012 - 19:45

thanks charlie,

now i feel safe enough to try it out and see what works. i was afraid i'd blow up the flash, camera or both.

thanks again!

/mitch
/mitch
www.mitchcohen.se

#5 mitch1

mitch1

• Life Member
  • 29 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted 04 January 2012 - 19:46

hej scott!

tack så mycket. gott nytt år och hello to my motherland as well!

mvh/mitch
/mitch
www.mitchcohen.se

#6 charlie

charlie

-

• Life Member
  • 2,155 posts
  • Locationlos angeles

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:18

I use the SB-800 with my FM2n and the only explosions are of light.

If you are in a position to meter and adjust then use M mode.
When using it in A mode I got pretty decent results but it did have a some over/under exposures, mostly over exposures.
If you are planning to use it in A mode I would recommend putting it on a digital camera first and try it out in different scenarios and maybe you can get a feel of how it decides exposures and then you can compensate accordingly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.