• Moderators
  • 7,720 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 06 December 2011 - 20:35

The boy.

Attached Images

• 111205 Sarene & Gerhard 130b&w.jpg

"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#22 MrsP

MrsP

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:50

Well done. Great lighting.

Caryl

see my art at: pbase.com/carylwithay

#23 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,720 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:46

Thank you Mrs P.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#24 Andrew

Andrew

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 959 posts
  • LocationBrodnica

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:11

D700, 28/2, tripod etc....

_IWA1307 Choinka.jpg

#25 aajiiholma

aajiiholma

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 350 posts
  • LocationEspoo, Finland
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:29

And it's supposed to be winter here! Nah

Attached Images

• _DS34996_raj.jpg

Antti

D7100, D300, Nokia Pureview 808
some lenses

#26 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 09 December 2011 - 18:48

Cranes at the Golden Hour...

Guerreiro, PT

Exif included

Castro Verde, PT-1211086R194.jpg
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#27 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,454 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 09 December 2011 - 22:16

Under the clock at St Pancras International Railway Station.

Attached Images

• Under-the-clock.jpg

#28 otoien

otoien

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 857 posts
  • LocationFairbanks, Alaska

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:09

It doesn't look like we are getting the lunar eclipse here in Fairbanks - moon barely visible and disappearing behind clouds, so I will go with this "frost flower" I captured a few hours ago for week 10 (reserving possibility of an exchange in case it clears up).

Posted Image

(Some color swapping to cancel sodium light pollution).

---
The eclipse was just barely visible through the clouds and light pollution, only the light phase visble now and then. Just for the record of it I am making an exception and posting an additional image; hope someone else here got a better view of it :

Posted Image

(Handheld due to lack of preparation, 28mm 1/5s ISO 2500 ).

Edited by otoien, 11 December 2011 - 02:36 .

Øivind

#29 RC51

RC51

LARGE MEMBER

• Life Member
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 10 December 2011 - 13:55

#10 Canal

Cheers
Bez

#30 Bruno

Bruno

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 172 posts
  • Locationclose to Waterloo, Belgium
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 10 December 2011 - 20:44

Another very busy week where I have barely seen daylight, nothing special then.

Today's sunset, next to the garden.

PAW_258DSC_0259 sunset 2_01.JPG

#31 hwh150175

hwh150175

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 10 December 2011 - 20:51

10/52

One of those weeks that separates enthusiasts and pros.. Wanted to go make photographs, but no time or mental energy.. Therefore the need to resort to abstracts made from around-the-house objects :yahoo:

Attached Images

• 10-20111210-POW #10-109.jpg

#32 MrsP

MrsP

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 10 December 2011 - 22:31

I am wondering what is the purpose of this. No one has the time to comment on 50 or so images a week or even open all of them. If it is to get us to shoot at least once a week,I think many of us shoot every day. I , for one do and I post several images on several forums to which i belong every week, if not every day. Just curious
Caryl
see my art at: pbase.com/carylwithay

#33 SCraig

SCraig

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 507 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 10 December 2011 - 22:51

I am wondering what is the purpose of this. No one has the time to comment on 50 or so images a week or even open all of them. If it is to get us to shoot at least once a week,I think many of us shoot every day. I , for one do and I post several images on several forums to which i belong every week, if not every day. Just curious
Caryl

Generally these challenges are a photo a day challenge but we "Dumbed" it down some since some of us can't find the time to breathe on some days.

The challenge of a photo a day is to force one to look outside the box. Few people have the time to drive somewhere "Special" each day to look for a photograph so they are forced to look for more mundane solutions which, in turn, forces them to open their eyes more to their surroundings.

Personally I've found it challenging enough to get one a week ;)
Scott Craig - Nashville, TN

#34 markh

markh

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 214 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 December 2011 - 23:04

I fully agree. Here is mine for this week: winter BBQ and a friend playing the gitar. Some difficult candlelight in a smal cabin, which was a real challange for me.
Shot on 09-12-2011.

Attached Images

• 2011 Dec 09.jpg

Greetings,

Mark

#35 crowecg

crowecg

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 791 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 23:10

Caryl

Generally these challenges are a photo a day challenge but we "Dumbed" it down some since some of us can't find the time to breathe on some days.

The challenge of a photo a day is to force one to look outside the box. Few people have the time to drive somewhere "Special" each day to look for a photograph so they are forced to look for more mundane solutions which, in turn, forces them to open their eyes more to their surroundings.

Personally I've found it challenging enough to get one a week ;)

I was thinking of starting a discussion on how people are coping with this challenge. I realise there are a lot of people in this forum who shoot daily or at least fairly regularly (especially if it is your job). I'd be interested in hearing how others who have non-photographic jobs and other commitments are coping. I know I've had a few occasions of dashing out into the back yard to grab a few shots for the week (already!!). :help: I have been thinking of preparing a list of possible projects to try when I don't have any other chance to get out and shoot. Dark rainy nights will be the challenge, but fortunately here in Australia that should be another 20 weeks away. I'm sure dripping taps will make an appearance at some point, perhaps also some macro shots of various fabrics and carpets too.

#36 kds315

kds315

uvir.eu

• Life Member
  • 6,556 posts
  • LocationWeinheim, Germany

Posted 10 December 2011 - 23:20

A "mood image" and one of the last blooming roses of this year...

Posted Image
Klaus

"Seize the day"

www.uvir.eu

#37 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,384 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 10 December 2011 - 23:33

People will deal with such challenges in many ways. There is no given answer. Personally I prefer to try to plan ahead so there is a common idea to follow, but once in a while you have to fall back on a grab shot. The main point is to concern yourself with what to shoot so you don't operate on autopilot. I deal with images every day either shooting, processing, or archiving, so it isn't always easy to rekindle enthusiasm. But my objective is to try nonetheless.

It is also an opportunity to commence shooting something else, a topic or subject you don't do every day. I'm sure any neighbourhood has plenty of shooting opportunities once you start looking for them. Usually one needn't travel far.
Bjørn

#38 Bruno

Bruno

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 172 posts
  • Locationclose to Waterloo, Belgium

Posted 10 December 2011 - 23:39

Caryl

I don't know for you but for me, the professional and family life is quite busy. I have plenty of things calling me to do them and need something like the challenge deadline to go out, shoot and, mostly, PP correctly. Let's call that discipline :)

Today, I spent 2 hours in the cold with 7 lenses, trying to make something out of the sunset in the field next to my house. Without the deadline I would probably have wasted my time fixing the electricity in the garden shelter :) or just read a book in the afternoon.

Even if I ended up with a rather average sunset shoot, I've discovered a few things about these lenses and, maybe, I need to confirm that, some grain I like out of the D90. Really worth the time spent.

So in short, the PAW challenge increases the shooting priority, and everyone around me understands that and let me do it. Even better :)

#39 RC51

RC51

LARGE MEMBER

• Life Member
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 11 December 2011 - 00:15

I take lots of normal light images per week.....

So to set myself a challenge I have gone out of my comfort zone and I am trying to post an interesting (to me) weekly Infra Red image. It has now made me use my IR camera in poor light and as winter sets in the challenge is getting harder.
I am new to digital IR and have found my challenge beneficial because it has forced me to plan a weekly IR shoot. I now have locations and ideas ready for any breaks in the poor weather.

My thoughts are you can make the weekly challenge as difficult as you care to..... And for the hardcore (not me) why not start a 365 challenge?

Cheers

Edited by RC51, 11 December 2011 - 00:22 .

Bez

#40 tbelch

tbelch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, North Carolina, USA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 00:50

#10 of 52
Busy at work inside the bloom of a Camilla.
Cheers
Thomas

Attached Images

• Week10DSC_0059.JPG

Edited by tbelch, 13 December 2011 - 00:52 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users