The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Report Issues: Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:20

If you have owned this lens and experienced any issues with it, please report them in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not intended for venting or raving. We want to uncover any potential issues that users have experienced with the item that could pertain to:

- Image Quality
- Build Quality
- Service

Members may discuss any issues raised in the thread, but please note that irrelevant comments may be moderated so as to keep the thread useful to other members.

You may include sample photos of the issues reported either in the thread or in the dedicated gallery for this lens.

This thread will be indexed on our Official Page for this lens (which can be accessed from the Nikkors menu). Click on the Posted Image icons.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:12

squeaky AFS motor is very common for this lens, not a big issue just annoying...

#3 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 13 July 2011 - 14:09

squeaky AFS motor is very common for this lens, not a big issue just annoying...

My copy when I still had this lens did not have any squeaking but I have seen over 10+ copies from fellow photographers that had this issue so it seems to be a common issue. I know of at least 3 people whose lens required an AF-S motor replacement.

#4 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 700 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 21:03

My copy squeaks at first, then becomes silent as it is being used. When set at 24mm, it has the least distortion of any 24mm lens I've seen.

Update: After sitting in drawer for 4 months, the lens acquired stiffness in the focusing ring...almost jammed.  Local Nikon service serviced it for US$420...it better last a long time after that!

Edited by pluton, 08 March 2014 - 05:43 .

Keith B.

#5 Hugh_3170

Hugh_3170

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 799 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:55

My copy squeaks at first, then becomes silent as it is being used. When set at 24mm, it has the least distortion of any 24mm lens I've seen.

This behaviour is identical to what I have observed with my copy.

#6 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:42

The squeaky sound is generated by the SWM ring-motor spinning fast, the design of the later SWM ring-motors has been altered to avoid this, patented by Nikon.

It was the small groves passing each other on the rings that generated the sound waves. (Short explanation...)
Same reason the 'blocks' on some tyre threads are unevenly distributed around the circumference to avoid 'singing'.

Edited by Erik Lund, 31 January 2013 - 12:45 .

#7 davepaterson

davepaterson

Ex-photographer

• Life Member
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationKillin, Scotland

Posted 31 January 2013 - 13:47

I've had two copies of this lens, neither of which squeaked. However, both had issues - tho' extremely sharp in the centre, the corners were distinctly poor (on FX) and had CAs of a type which is difficult to remove. I've just recently sold my second copy.
Dave Paterson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.