Photo
- - - - -

Samyang AE 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Samyang AE 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 09 June 2011 - 17:55

If you have used this lens, please rate it on our poll and also let others know what you thought of it by replying to this thread.

Please read the guidelines beforehand, as any posts not conforming to the guidelines will be removed without notice.
Camera (ˈkæ mə rə), n. Device for taking pictures in bright light
D7k and primes - on flickr

#2 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 09 June 2011 - 19:06

I would actually give this a 4.5! Bought it a year ago from a cam store in NY for $250.00, after hearing several people rave about it.

I have not been disappointed!! It is a MF lens. The build seems to feel much better than one would think for the price.and it is SHARP!
As with any 1.4 lens, if using wide open, your DOF area is VERY small. I have used this on a very cloudy day and am amazed at the amount of light showing in the photo. I have not shot with this lens as much as I would like to but will remedy that soon. I have not noticed any negatives with this lens. Did I mention it is SHARP!!

There are now some of these available that are "chipped" but I have not used one nor do I know anyone who has.

I have heard that it is also sold under the Samyang and Bower name, and several others. I do not know if there is a difference amongst these, except for the name.

Mine will have to be ripped from my cold, dead hands :P

I will shoot some pics with it soon & add them to this post

Edited by DougB, 09 June 2011 - 19:07 .

Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#3 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:56

I bought this lens a few months ago and I have the chipped version. I have compared it to the Zeiss and the Sigma equivalent lenses and it was sharper than the Zeiss at 1.4, but not as sharp as the Sigma, which had a little more edge in the centre of the frame than my Samyang ( Rokinon). The bokeh on this lens is one of the reasons I bought it. I already owned the 85mm 1.8 AF Nikkor, but last year I compared it to this lens and was blown away by the smooth oof back ground. I was considering either chipping the MF version but they came out with a chipped version and it was a reasonable upgrade in price compared to the Zeiss upgrade. The 1.8 Nikkor at smaller apertures is actually sharper but I wanted to use this lens around 1.4-2.8 so it was a no-brainer. I'll still use my 85 1.8 to take shots of the Bride on the dance floor, but when I want to isolate the bride in the pre- wedding shots and I don't need AF then this lens will fill the bill. It is reviewed on Photo Tip web site and after owning it I agree with their findings. Low distortion, a little bit a CA wide open and shoots well into the sun which for a fast lens is great. It's also sharp wide open but doesn't match it's competition at smaller apertures. When it comes to bokeh though it is still king of the heap. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a fast portrait-low light lens and doesn't need AF. Regards, Gerry

#4 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire

Posted 22 August 2011 - 20:02

I have had this lens for a few months and although I don't use it very much, I do like it.
The focus ring is a pleasure to use, smooth and damped. The body feels solid enough.
I do like contrast and saturation of the images taken on my D700.
Image quality is very decent even wide open, especially in the centre, and it improves to very good stopping down.
Lateral CA is very low, but there is a lot of longitudinal colour fringing (the green/purple one) epsecially at wide apertures - definitely not apochromatic!.
I cannot compare it with other fast 85mm lenses, but in absolute terms I think it is quite good, even more so considered the very low price.
Recommended for the limited scope of 85mm lenses, if AF is not a must for you.
Simone

#5 thor55

thor55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationLelystad, Flevoland

Posted 03 January 2012 - 21:19

Santa brought me one, last month, and though it is a fast lens, I haven't used it to have a decent comment yet.
Played a bit to create this shot of an Vanda Orchid at home with available light only
Posted Image
D300s, 1/200s, f/2.0 at 85.0mm
Nikon D300s - Nikkor & Samyang Glasswork  - Nikon SB600 Thor's Pbase Photo Space

#6 Julisn

Julisn
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMumbai, India and Munich, Germany

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:28

I got mine 2 years ago. Non-chip version. But I would rate it as 4.5. It's very sharp.

#7 Glider

Glider

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 344 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:19

Good enough to have stopped me from buying the Nikon f/1.4. It serves all my purposes well. Sharp, fast, with nice bokeh.
"You've got to work with your mistakes until they look intended. Understand?" Raymond Carver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.