#21 jramskov

jramskov

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 2,179 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:10

There is also the DSLR factor. Some places or people will allow photography with anything but a DSLR because DSLR's are "professional" cameras. I have to admit that can get fuzzy because the zoom lenses on some mirror-less cameras are fairly large, which could cause the same reaction.

Indeed - it's quite stupid that they disallow DSLR's given how relatively good P&S and mobile phone cameras have become.
Joergen Ramskov
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. [Douglas Adams]

#22 RogerB

RogerB

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 238 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 18 November 2011 - 17:33

The lens is really special indeed, sharp across the whole frame. The only minor is the ghosting on highlights.

The auto white balance is also very good, and the camera is quiet. Super quiet. I like that a lot.
Despite the small size and weight, (probably due to the central shutter mechanism) it can be handheld at relatively slow shutter speeds.

Does it replace my D700 with 35/1.4G? No, certainly not. But I can take it with me when the Nikon stuff has to stay home due to size and weight constraints.

ISO1600, F/2, auto white balance, raw (.RAF) file converted with ACR. No further processing other than Save for Web.

Hi,
I'd like to tack on a bit to the discussion you started on the X100 lens at f/2. I put together a photoset of various practical (not test :) images that I've taken in the last six months since I received my X100. I am certainly pleased with the performance of the X100 at f/2. I hope there is enough info on this Smugmug grouping to get a solid feeling for the lens performance as well as the camera's handling of the lens at f/2. You will note that I haven't removed the images where there were some motion errors on my part (or the camera's inability to grab focus on a fast moving subject), there are images where flare and CA are obvious, but those tend to be very, very contrasty occurrences. Some of the images are captured in museum preservation-lighting simply for recording my presence but many to my surprise were much better than I expected given the conditions. I also added one or two to demonstrate that I could (accidentally) hand hold an image at 1/6 second without having given up cappuccino.;) I've also included my mistakes where I accidentally left the camera at f/2 and wandered into bright daylight. Even in those conditions, the system performed very well. I have a couple of nicely sized prints from this camera. It's can perform to "museum" quality. It's one heck of a great travel camera if you can find joy in a 35mm f/2 equiv FOV lens.

Note all of the images here are hand-held. There is a "slideshow" tab on the Smugmug page. If you mouse-over the large preview image, you are presented with a choice of images sizes (for larger viewing) and an information-icon, the letter "i" that will display the ExIF data.
Best Regards,
Roger

It's still just aperture, shutter-speed and ISO.... right?
D700 | 16-35mm f/4 AFS VR | 24-120mm f/4 AFS VR

#23 M4cr0s

M4cr0s

Stumbling through the light

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:29

Hey folks, good to see some discussion and samples in the thread.

My impression and thoughts about this camera haven't really changed since I wrote the "review". I've made around 8000 clicks with it since May and it haven't failed me so far. It's been an interesting experience shooting both paid and private stuff with it (I've often used it for the wide shots in combination with a DSLR with a longer lens, such as an 85 or 105. A pretty classic focal length combination that I like very much.

There is a very definite difference in peoples reaction to this "toy" camera compared a huge honkin' DSLR in many circumstances. They just don't take it seriously and pay no heed. Almost makes an M9 or something along those lines tempting ;)

People will however have to make up their own mind on the X100, it is not for everyone! It's been a faithful companion and a good tool for me but as everyone knows by now it has some quirks. They are not really bothering me though, adjusting according to them have long since become second nature and all adjustments are made pretty much instinctively. I can hardly remember the last time I had to dive into the menu system for instance. The human mind adapts ;)

The really important thing about it though that cannot be underlined enough is the IQ, I feel some of the comments in this thread shows that people don't really get it or realize how good a performer the X100 really is. I feel obliged to rave about the IQ as a defense of a somewhat misunderstood little camera :P The images have a distinctive look and quality to them, in fact I do regularly recognize images I come across on the web that's shot with the X100 as X100 shots without actually checking which camera made them. Especially the tonality, graduations, crispness and rendering of OOF areas give the X100 away. Now "personality" is not the same as good IQ, but in this case good overall characteristics blend with a certain uniqueness that I've personally become very fond of. You don't have to like the X100 as concept or product but be very careful underestimating it. I maintain my original guestimate that on a crop sensor the only thing rivaling it would be the 24 1.4G on a 5100/7000 minimum.

Yes I'm definitely a fan of the X100, call me a fanboy so be it, but I feel thousands of frames and different shooting situations gives you a pretty good idea of what it is capable of (and what it sucks at). I prefer to focus at it's strengths and knowing what it excels at and not force it into situations where it's not the right tool, just like with any camera and lens combination. Photography is always about compromises.

It will be really exciting to see how the new Fuji interchangeable system turns out if and when they release it. I hope they've recruited some ex-Apple interface/gui designers though... ;)

Mac

Edited by M4cr0s, 19 November 2011 - 01:32 .

"I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this years fashions."

Lillian Hellman

#24 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:17

Despite my previous canning of the concept of this camera elsewhere, and that of course by now I also should know to keep my trap shut before actually experiencing that which I'm commenting on, I have to humbly admit that last Friday week ago while visiting my regular photo supplier on the Mainland I bought one of these cameras.

However I did not buy it for the many reasons mentioned above. I bought it for the same reason one might buy a Rolex - namely the bling factor. A $400 Seiko tells time just as well as a Rolex, and can even look just as good, but still people fork out thousands for a Rolex. Similarly the X100 really was love at first sight for me, reminding me instantly of the camera I started this insane photographic adventure/career off with as school magazine photographer in 1969, namely my Dad's 1940's model Leica IIIf with its collapsing Elmar 5cm f/3.5 lens. Reason & logic went out the window almost as fast as my Visa card was swiped through the machine.

Yes, it takes nice pictures, and yes, it is well built and superbly finished, but it really is bling - something you buy because you like, not because it does something better than what you already own. To be blunt the operating controls are a PITA, in particular the +/- exposure compensation dial which is positioned so that inadvertent mis-setting is almost guaranteed when simply handling the camera in normal operation. It doesn't help that there is no obvious flag to warn of plus or minus exposure compensation having been set in the viewfinder, either. Obviously in their pursuit of the Leica Retro look Fuji compromised left, right and center in positioning the dials and settings buttons, and in a further attempt to keep the camera clean they assigned many functions to few buttons and switches, further adding to the resulting confusion by assigning additional commands to the length of time or number of times one actually depresses some of the switches.

In short, intuitive it ain't.

So it is a right bastard of a machine to operate, has many superfluous functions that really don't belong on such a camera (the automatic panorama sweep & stitch being one such case in point - it is useless in operation, the stitches being so bad that you can readily see them on the tiny, skinny rendition on the LCD screen), The lens hood attachment is really stupid, almost guaranteeing that very early on one will probably lose either the hood, the lens cap, the filter ring or the hood attachment bayonet ring. The lens cap cannot be placed on the lens without at least removing the top part of the hood assembly, and really won't secure properly unless the filter ring is replaced, leaving the two-part hood assembly looking for somewhere to be, or to be lost at.

But all that aside, I simply love it to pieces.

Edited by Fred Nirque, 21 November 2011 - 04:07 .

Alan.

Tasmania still destroys ancient old-growth temperate rainforest for woodchips & low grade veneer.
http://www.stillwild...threatened.org/
http://www.huon.org/

#25 M4cr0s

M4cr0s

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:54

@ Fred

You nailed it! :D This tin-can is certainly not for everyone.

PS! I use a home-made hood and never use a lens cap. The hood is a round, black piece of plastic with just a large enough round hole innit to avoid vignetting, glued to the threaded ring of an old filter screwed onto the filter/lens hood adapter. I tried using a see-through eBay knock-off hood, but I find my solution more compact. It's not pretty though.

Mac

Lillian Hellman

#26 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 21 November 2011 - 23:34

OK, maybe a bit more than bling.... I took this three-shot hand-held pano with the X100 from the ferry as it sailed into Devonport, Northern Tasmania, at dawn on Sunday morning:
Posted Image

Alan.

Tasmania still destroys ancient old-growth temperate rainforest for woodchips & low grade veneer.

#27 Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 6,132 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:13

Fred, I like the pano, probably because the foreground reminds me of the Gulf Coast around here. Too bad the nearest mountains are very far away. Give my regards to Taz.

Edited by Ron Scubadiver, 22 November 2011 - 04:14 .

See my photography at http://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/

#28 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:04

Fred, I like the pano, probably because the foreground reminds me of the Gulf Coast around here. Too bad the nearest mountains are very far away. Give my regards to Taz.

:) Even though it is nearing the end of spring here, I doubt the actual air temperature on that morning would have resembled anything like the Gulf coast.... ;)

The outside temperature sensor on the car indicated a heady 4ÂșC as I drove away from Devonport over an hour later....

Alan.

#29 aerobat

aerobat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 379 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:33

Hey folks, good to see some discussion and samples in the thread.

My impression and thoughts about this camera haven't really changed since I wrote the "review". I've made around 8000 clicks with it since May and it haven't failed me so far. It's been an interesting experience shooting both paid and private stuff with it (I've often used it for the wide shots in combination with a DSLR with a longer lens, such as an 85 or 105. A pretty classic focal length combination that I like very much.

There is a very definite difference in peoples reaction to this "toy" camera compared a huge honkin' DSLR in many circumstances. They just don't take it seriously and pay no heed. Almost makes an M9 or something along those lines tempting ;)

People will however have to make up their own mind on the X100, it is not for everyone! It's been a faithful companion and a good tool for me but as everyone knows by now it has some quirks. They are not really bothering me though, adjusting according to them have long since become second nature and all adjustments are made pretty much instinctively. I can hardly remember the last time I had to dive into the menu system for instance. The human mind adapts ;)

The really important thing about it though that cannot be underlined enough is the IQ, I feel some of the comments in this thread shows that people don't really get it or realize how good a performer the X100 really is. I feel obliged to rave about the IQ as a defense of a somewhat misunderstood little camera :P The images have a distinctive look and quality to them, in fact I do regularly recognize images I come across on the web that's shot with the X100 as X100 shots without actually checking which camera made them. Especially the tonality, graduations, crispness and rendering of OOF areas give the X100 away. Now "personality" is not the same as good IQ, but in this case good overall characteristics blend with a certain uniqueness that I've personally become very fond of. You don't have to like the X100 as concept or product but be very careful underestimating it. I maintain my original guestimate that on a crop sensor the only thing rivaling it would be the 24 1.4G on a 5100/7000 minimum.

Yes I'm definitely a fan of the X100, call me a fanboy so be it, but I feel thousands of frames and different shooting situations gives you a pretty good idea of what it is capable of (and what it sucks at). I prefer to focus at it's strengths and knowing what it excels at and not force it into situations where it's not the right tool, just like with any camera and lens combination. Photography is always about compromises.

It will be really exciting to see how the new Fuji interchangeable system turns out if and when they release it. I hope they've recruited some ex-Apple interface/gui designers though... ;)

Mac

Good to see that you still like your X100. A week ago I decided to buy the little brother X10. It has inherited a lot of the good qualities of the X100 and some quirks of the X100 have even been corrected. The AF is now responsive and the compensation dial has definite detents which prevent from inadvertent operation. Also the AF mode selector has been improved. The IQ is very good for a compact class camera and I'll soon put up some photos and my first impressions.

Regards, Daniel

Edited by aerobat, 22 November 2011 - 05:33 .

#30 M4cr0s

M4cr0s

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationOslo

Posted 22 November 2011 - 13:12

Good to see that you still like your X100. A week ago I decided to buy the little brother X10. It has inherited a lot of the good qualities of the X100 and some quirks of the X100 have even been corrected. The AF is now responsive and the compensation dial has definite detents which prevent from inadvertent operation. Also the AF mode selector has been improved. The IQ is very good for a compact class camera and I'll soon put up some photos and my first impressions.

Regards, Daniel

I like the concept of the X10 and it appears from the reviews and samples I've seen to be a pretty sweet little camera. It's also extremely handsome! :D They seem to have refined the concept quite a bit from the X100, yet if they didn't I'd be worried. It's tempting to get one, but in reality I don't need it and I know I'll be wanting larger sensor before long. If I did not own the X100 it would however be much more interesting. Looking forward to see your first impressions!

Mac

Edited by M4cr0s, 22 November 2011 - 13:12 .

Lillian Hellman

#31 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 22 November 2011 - 15:29

Regards, Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I am a happy owner of an X100 and recently ordered an X10 but have not decided whether I will keep it when it is delivered or give it as a gift. The 85% coverage of the OVF and the inability of the X10 to display the camera settings (aperture, shutter and ISO) in the OVF, plus the desire for an articulating screen are the reasons for my reservations.

I am happy to hear about the improvements and look froward to your posting your first impressions on the X10.

Larry

Edited by Larry, 22 November 2011 - 17:56 .

#32 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 25 February 2012 - 21:34

Today I had my first, more or less serious, outing with the secondhand Fujifilm X100 I bought yesterday.
First impressions coincide with the experience others commented on; excellent lens, very stealthy, quirky menu and ergonomics (the Menu/OK button) and impressive auto white balance. Here's a series of 12 images, all shot in RAW and processed with Lightroom. I think this camera is a very good alternative for a heavy, dslr kit. Of course, only 35mm lens option available ...

1. f4
Posted Image

2. f2
Posted Image

3. f4
Posted Image

4. f2.8
Posted Image

5. f2.8
Posted Image

6. f4
Posted Image

7. f2.8
Posted Image

8. f2
Posted Image

9. f2.8
Posted Image

10. f2.8
Posted Image

11. f4
Posted Image

12. f4
Posted Image

Edited by Luc de Schepper, 25 February 2012 - 21:54 .

#33 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 25 February 2012 - 22:21

If you haven't already, do the firmware update to 1.13 available on the Fuji site. (Check currently installed version by holding down the Disp/Back button when turning the camera on).

The menus have been cleaned up and the camera certainly behaves itself better (I updated from 1.10).

Alan.

#34 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 25 February 2012 - 22:34

If you haven't already, do the firmware update to 1.13 available on the Fuji site. (Check currently installed version by holding down the Disp/Back button when turning the camera on).

The menus have been cleaned up and the camera certainly behaves itself better (I updated from 1.10).

Thanks Fred for mentioning the firmware update. I updated right after purchase and arriving home :-)

#35 Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque

Feral Fungi

• Life Member
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationRural Tasmania

Posted 25 February 2012 - 23:40

Thanks Fred for mentioning the firmware update. I updated right after purchase and arriving home :-)

No Worries, Luc, I'm hoping other X100 owners read this as well - the update really improved my camera (still has its hardware foibles, of course ;) )

It's such a handy travelling companion - last Sunday I stopped for a drink at the Weld River and couldn't be bothered unpacking the D3s I just snapped the river with a touch of mist in the light rain with the X100, hand held, 1/30 @ f/8, ISO 400:
Posted Image

Alan.

#36 scottnilsson

scottnilsson

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 25 February 2012 - 23:44

+1, Maestro Nirque

I hadn't seen (or received word - only a wee bit vexing, as I'm a registered owner...) of the latest firmware upgrade, Fred - thank you!

And lovely shot, I might add (hope to visit your splendid country someday).

Good weekend to all!

Edited by scottnilsson, 25 February 2012 - 23:45 .

Scott Nilsson / Atlanta
http://scottnilssonphotography.com
https://www.facebook...sonPhotographer
http://scottnilsson.zenfolio.com (new site-build in progress)

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..." ~ Wayne Gretzky

#37 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 26 February 2012 - 00:12

Just bought mine three weeks ago and really loving it!

IQ is fantastic for its size, only wish for the next version is a more robust auto-focus. Maybe face detect and something akin to my D300's multi-point AF features. (At least I can dream :) )
Best Regards, Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

#38 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:26

Thanks for the heads up, Fred. I didn't hear of it either. Just updated mine. Very nice bike photos.
There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#39 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 29 February 2012 - 19:25

Some high iso shots Not a scientific test, just for fun and somewhat an indication what the X100 is capable off. These images were shot with the X100's built-in flash, which does a remarkable good job of balancing natural and artificial light. All images Jpegs straight out of camera, no postprocessing. Distance to bag about 25cm/10inches.

iso 3.200, f2.8
Posted Image

iso 6.400, f2.8
Posted Image

Edited by Luc de Schepper, 29 February 2012 - 19:26 .

#40 palalaikka

palalaikka

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,020 posts
  • LocationOulu, Finland

Posted 29 February 2012 - 21:22

Some high iso shots Not a scientific test, just for fun and somewhat an indication what the X100 is capable off. These images were shot with the X100's built-in flash, which does a remarkable good job of balancing natural and artificial light. All images Jpegs straight out of camera, no postprocessing. Distance to bag about 25cm/10inches.

IQ seems to be really good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users