#1 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:45

When most of the 2010 Safarians returned home after our splendid time at Sabi Sabi, three of us flew down to Port Elizabeth and toured the Cape by car with Pepe. Our journey took us along much of the dramatic coastline; inland to the stark beauty of the Karoo and the fertile valleys of the Winelands; and left us plenty of time to explore the area immediately around Cape Town as well.

Just a couple of photographs to give you a taste of the landscapes around Cape Town.

These two of a clearing storm were shot from the farm where we stayed near Stellenbosch in the Cape Winelands about 30 miles north-east of the city.

D3S_101_D3S7542-Stellenbosch-Storm-Clouds.jpg

D3S_101_D3S7543-Stellenbosch-Storm-Clouds.jpg

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:03

More!

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#3 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

Getting younger every year

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia suburb of Washington DC
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:51

Yes, more please! I don't suppose you have any pictures of some of those fabulous Stellenbosch vineyards or wines, do you?

Edited by Mike Buckley, 01 April 2011 - 09:52 .

Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"
http://howtocatalog.com

#4 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,722 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:15

really nice images Ann!
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#5 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,602 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:17

BEAUTIFUL shots, Ann. That must have been one H*** of a flash you used for the building in the first one :rolleyes:

That is some fantastic scenery!
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#6 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:25

Elsa:

Thank you.
[For those that don't know this, Elsa is one of those really special Cape Towners who I was so privileged to meet and spend time with in her own lovely surroundings.]

-------
Mike:
Yes I have shots of a considerable number of those wonderful vineyards ... and their wine-tasting rooms too!
[We "tasted" our way around the Cape as well as photographing it!]

:cheers:
-------
As you asked so nicely, more pictures are promised for later today.

:)

#7 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 01 April 2011 - 14:32

That must have been one H*** of a flash you used for the building in the first one

Doug:

Oh it only takes about a hundred SB-900s to do that or you can talk severely to the clouds and tell them that it is time for them to move along — which is what I did.

:devil: :devil:

#8 Flopes

Flopes

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSao Paulo

Posted 01 April 2011 - 17:56

Nice shots!! Cape town region is very beautiful indeed, not to say the great food and wine!!
Looking forward for the next pictures!!
www.fabiano-lopes.com

#9 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 03 April 2011 - 21:39

Some more photographs from the Winelands north-east of Cape Town:

D3S_101_D3S7553-Clouds-Estate-Stellenbosch.jpg

This is another view of the Clouds Estate near Stellenbosch (where the photographs which I posted at the beginning of this thread were also taken).

This one is from high above the fertile Franschhoek Valley which also is the home of many fine vineyards and wineries:

D3S_101_D3S7750-Franschhoek-Valley.jpg

And this one was taken at the Dieu Donne Vineyard near Franschhoek where we spent a happy time tasting their products!

Attached Images

• D3S_101_D3S7722-DieuDonne-Vineyard-Franschhoek.jpg

#10 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 03 April 2011 - 21:53

And here are some of the products of the Delheim Winery near Stellenbosch.

There was much to taste and enjoy here too!

D3S_101_D3S7510-Delheim-Winery-Stellenbosch.jpg

#11 Mark English

Mark English

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 03 April 2011 - 22:38

Some beautiful work Ann.

Very nice indeed.
Best Regards,
Mark

"Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera."
Yousuf Karsh

#12 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

Getting younger every year

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia suburb of Washington DC

Posted 03 April 2011 - 23:36

Thanks for the very nice wine images, Ann! I especially like the last two.
Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"
http://howtocatalog.com

#13 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,325 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 04 April 2011 - 00:14

Spectacular.

Brings back memories of childhood holidays - there's nothing visually quite like South African mountain landscapes.

#14 oldguy

oldguy

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 271 posts
  • LocationSlave Lake Alberta

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:57

Hi Ann,
All I can say is WOW!! What lens did you use for the landscape shots? I still don't know how to get EXIF data from posted photos or if it's even possible.
Learn from the mistakes of others as you will never live long enough to make them all yourself

#15 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:44

Thank you for most generous and kind comments but with places like these fabulous Cape mountain valleys it would be hard to miss getting the shot!

I don't think too many people have any idea just how stunning the South African landscapes are. Certainly, I was bowled over by them. Actually, I may decide to fly out to the Cape a few days before (or stay on a few more days after the NG Namibian trip and ask Pepe to take me up into the Stellenbosch area again so anyone who can swing coming on this trip might like to do the same thing.
:wine: :wine:

Regarding the lenses: the "holy trinity" were at work here. The first three landscapes were shot with the 70-200 VR II; The next two with the 24-70mm; and the interior at the Delheim winery was shot with the 14-24.

Thanks to some very big pockets in my wear-on vest, I was able to get the "holy quaternity" (including "Big Bertha"), some smaller lenses, a flash and a second camera body onto all of my flights.

:)

#16 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,602 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 04 April 2011 - 13:24

Ann

These are just fantastic photos. I know the scenery is beautiful, but the way you capture it is stunning!!
I love the bottle of wine in the lower right of the winery picture. (Yes dear - we just had ONE bottle of wine) :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for sharing these.

Of course - these do NOT get you off the hook for sharing another set of beautiful images from this year's trip :devil:
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#17 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,757 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 04 April 2011 - 18:17

If you guys haven't heard, Namibia is currently experiencing severe flooding. Over 60 people have lost their lives and our Pepe is busy touring the country with 17 photographers form Canada. I heard from her on Facebook this weekend and she is OK, but says that the roads are now rivers.

Will have to wait for her to get back to see what the impact of this disaster might be on our planned Namaqualand to Namibia roadtrip and will obviously keep all posted.

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#18 palalaikka

palalaikka

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationOulu, Finland

Posted 04 April 2011 - 18:18

Thanks to some very big pockets in my wear-on vest, I was able to get the "holy quaternity" (including "Big Bertha"), some smaller lenses, a flash and a second camera body onto all of my flights.

Ann, your vest reminds me about Eega Beeva's trousers! It sounds quite amazing to be able to carry all that gear without a backpack.

#19 Ann

Ann

• Life Member
  • 9,834 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 04 April 2011 - 19:13

I hadn't heard about the Namibian floods until you mentioned it but have now found this link on Reuters:

http://af.reuters.co...E73309B20110404

Poor people: it sounds as if they have been very badly hit.

I am glad that Pepe and her Canadian photographers are safe. Pepe is amazingly resourceful so they are in good hands and will probably have a great trip despite the weather and return with some very unusual photographs of an "arid desert"

Regarding the NG trip, that is still a long way off and, even if roads are washed out we can't get all the way up to Etosha, there are plenty of alternative routes and locations on the western side of South Africa which I am sure that we could explore instead.

#20 PBCS

PBCS

Linda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 April 2011 - 20:53

Ann,

I'm loving your landscape photos. Breathtaking views and captured so well! Praying for the people of Namibia.

Linda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users