The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

KEH.com

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: KEH.com (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this merchant

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below acceptable) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (21 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,153 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:56

Have you purchased anything from KEH.com? If so, please let others know about your experiences with them by replying to this topic, which will be indexed on our Review Lists.

Please keep your comments within the guidelines for this section of the forum (see the sticky for those).

Please help me finance Fotozones by disabling your ad blocker for this site.

You can also support Fotozones by buying your gear from our affiliate advertisers using these links:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC or DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:39

Never had any negative to say about KEH. Their description of the second-hand items is accurate and if optimistic, on the beneficial side seen from the buyer's position. Thus, not uncommonly their "bargain" category is more like "near mint" ... Prices are frequently reasonable and if you search for best buys on common lenses, sometimes ridiculously low.

Their attention to customers has been excellent too. I once purhcased an old 200-400/4 AIS from them and they called me by phone 3 weeks later to get my opinion of the item :smiling:. It was designated "bargain" and looked like it had been never used. A true spectacular find of this rare lens.

They dispatch quickly and efficiently, although shipping to Europe tends to be costly (like with other US companies so KEH is neither better nor worse than the competition here).

I have no hesitation recommending KEH to anyone on the outlook for second-hand gear.
Bjørn

#3 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

Getting younger every year

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia suburb of Washington DC
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 24 March 2011 - 14:38

Great service from KEH. The advertised quality of their products is understated. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"
http://howtocatalog.com

#4 olivier

olivier

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 March 2011 - 15:21

I have only good things to say about KEH. Indeed, they underrated every used irem I got from them. For instance, the Tamron 90mm macro lens was sold as "Excellent" and I actually had no way to differenciate it from a new one.
Their repair team is very good as well (they repaired the mirrox box of my D70IR for 1/3 of the price asked by Nikon).
Greetings from France
my blog

#5 zoomer200400

zoomer200400

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 780 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 25 March 2011 - 00:49

They really do under rate their gear. Nothing but a good experience when I've purchased from them.
Jason

#6 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:26

latest purchases now bring my total KEH purchases to 5 AI & AIS lenses, plus other accessories. Always pleasantly surprised with the quality I've received, always better than stated on the site.

I'd rather buy from them than ebay any day.

#7 rotoghost

rotoghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 14:11

Good customer service, quick turnaround time, good prices - best of all, they do seem to conservatively rate their equipment on condition. I just received a lens listed as EX+ (missing aperture lock), and upon inspection, I would not have been able to discern it from "fresh from the factory". Not a spot on it.

Though I've (thankfully) never had a bad experience on eBay, I will be far more likely to order from KEH in its stead, because there's a responsive customer service department standing behind it.

#8 Chris101

Chris101

Chris101

• Moderators
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:34

I have bought from KEH in the past and always been satisfied by their products, prices, and customer service. Lately I have observed that they are going on photo-equipment safaris in a couple cities in my state. I sent a friend to one of those events and he reported that they offered a ridiculously low-ball price for his Leica R cameras and lenses as well as his Pentax 6x7 camera with a nice lens. I have also observed that their prices have more than doubled for certain popular lenses - their prices for new Nikkors are well above the prices offered by Adorama and B&H, and even the prices at some of my local stores.

Perhaps they are feeling the sting of competition from online sellers such as our own Classifieds, RFF Classifieds, Fred Miranda and the Nikon Cafe's For Sale forum, not to mention ebay and craigslist? In my (most humble) opinion, raising prices may help the bottom line today, but will lead to an exodus of loyal customers. KEH's paper catalog is woefully out of date by the time I get it in my mail box. This makes me very sad. I used to rely on KEH as a ready source of reasonably priced, warranteed used gear.

Some of their older equipment is still advertised at reasonable prices. I hope that they are able to maintain their famous customer service to weather the change in buying habits and continue to provide the gear they are famous for. Our hobbies and avocations will be worse off without them in the marketplace.

#9 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

Posted 29 April 2011 - 17:38

Helpful, efficient, and trouble-free service. One caveat: With Nikon Ai lenses, KEH has a tendency to ignore the common lack of lubrication in these older lens' focusing helicoids. A $79 "bargain' lens is no longer a bargain when it needs a $125 focus overhaul job. Other than that, I consider KEH a valuable resource for used equipment.
Keith B.

#10 Shutterdad

Shutterdad
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 04 December 2011 - 15:24

During the past 3 years, I have purchased 2 camera bodies both in EX+ condition and 4 lenses in BGN condition. The cameras bodies looked brand new and 3 out of 4 lenses were in great condition. The one exception was a Nikon 180mm f/2.8 ED, it was well used but glass was flawless. It gives the lens some character!

KEH is the first place I look to for used equipment.

#11 Gastronauta

Gastronauta

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationLa Mancha, Spain

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:00

Bought a 600 f/4 (MF, from 1988) rated EX+ by them. I can't imagine the difference in their minds between EX, EX+ and mint from Nikon. I'd say never used before describes it pretty well. The international wire transfer was a nightmare and yet I had an almost daily update from them. Exquisite customer service.
Except for the outrageous import taxes applied in Spain (obviously not their fault unless you're putting pressure on them to open a European branch), I'd buy from them every Friday :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.