Photo
- - - - -

Voting and Comment on "PRODUCT Challenge"

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: VOTE for up to TWO - read shoot info (30 member(s) have cast votes)

VOTE for up to TWO - read shoot info

1. elsahoffmann (8 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. coreworld (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Mike Buckley (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

4. Mark English (3 votes [10.00%])

5. StuartNeil (1 votes [3.33%])

6. petteram (1 votes [3.33%])

7. dallas (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

8. Bilbo999 (3 votes [10.00%])

9. antoinette (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. Fons Baerken (3 votes [10.00%])

11. MrsP (2 votes [6.67%])

12. Bri-an (0 votes [0.00%])

13. rotoghost (2 votes [6.67%])

14. Sean Mulin (0 votes [0.00%])

15. longhiker (1 votes [3.33%])

16. LiquidSolid (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bilbo

Bilbo

Chairman's Challenge Moderator, POTW Committee

• POTW Committee
  • 1,763 posts
  • LocationUSA, Michigan, Northern Detroit
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:36

Congratulations to "elsahoffmann"

Posted Image

Entries can be seen here: http://www.fotozones...-product-shoot/

Glenn Email:glenn@nikongear.com
http://www.uniquecustomphoto.com

"Don't argue with STUPID people, they will only bring you down to their level and win with experience"

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place."

#2 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

Getting younger every year

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia suburb of Washington DC

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:11

For those of you who are as "challenged" (pun intended!) as I am at determining which photo was made by which photographer, the photographer's name will be revealed when you hold your mouse pointer over each image.
Author of "IDimager Version 5 Workbook"
http://howtocatalog.com

#3 Bilbo

Bilbo

Chairman's Challenge Moderator, POTW Committee

• POTW Committee
  • 1,763 posts
  • LocationUSA, Michigan, Northern Detroit

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:00

You can also click on the photo to see it larger.
Glenn Email:glenn@nikongear.com
http://www.uniquecustomphoto.com

"Don't argue with STUPID people, they will only bring you down to their level and win with experience"

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place."

#4 chris johnston

chris johnston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOmaruru

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:10

ok I admit it Imabonehead, how do you vote?
Chris Johnston
Omaruru Namibia

#5 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:42

ok I admit it Imabonehead, how do you vote?

The reason you can't figure it out is because voting has closed.

#6 chris johnston

chris johnston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOmaruru

Posted 10 February 2011 - 13:18

Well, so there, no I am feeling exceptionally bright!
Chris Johnston
Omaruru Namibia

#7 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Moderators
  • 7,723 posts
  • LocationCape Town
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 10 February 2011 - 13:51

just to copy my comments from the other thread - I had a blond moment

Thank you but I dont think I deserved this one.
lets talk about the images for a minute or 2.
Just some quick observations from me. Please feel free to disagree with me. I would like your opinions please.

Check how many images was about a bottle of some sorts.
Shows you that most of us couldnt think further than "bottle"
Images are pretty small - so I can only comment on what I can see.
Mark English's image was nice and neat and clean. He put some effort into doing that one.
Bilbo was thinking out of the box. (turn the box a bit sideways- will show off better - especially regards the box lid - top) I liked it plenty. Both these images left maybe too much space for text? Maybe image is strong enough to convey most of the advertisement anyway?
Bri-an: you need to look at composition and shadows - do you see this image as a advert in a Magazine?
Liquid Solid: nice image - perhaps the reflection is too strong? its just MY opinion....
Coreworld - part of your image is disappearing - right hand side bottom? Space for text? Lighting needs some attention.
Mike Buckley - I feel your image is also disappearing too much into the distance.
StuartNeil - image very central - check your background and reflection of light on the bottle. Remember its not just a product shoot - it was for an advertisement on the backpage of a magazine. So not just a record shot.
Petteram - nice clean shot. at least different!
Dallas - nice clean shot also.
Antoinette - nice thinking. reflections on the cup distracts for me.
Fons - interesting. different. maybe too busy?
Mrs P - different thinking too - perhaps the product is a bit small in the frame? I dont know - just my opinion.
Rotoghost- light and reflections - its no good if the shadows hides the product name.
Sean Mulin - image also very central. reflection nice tho!
Longhiker. Actually pretty nice. now what if the magazine isnt in landscape format  Evil

Bottles are not easy to photograph if you want to get all the lines and reflections right.
be VERY grateful I didnt choose wine bottles as the challenge....

Perhaps most images were not very imaginative?

re my own image:
Its boring, nothing different to what I normally do. I couldn't even come up with something out of the box. Its the same style as everything else that I do. BAD news.

I know I have learned something from this challenge. I hope some of you did too.

I will therefor ask someone else to help me choose the next challenge. If that's okey with you guys and gals.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#8 chris johnston

chris johnston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationOmaruru

Posted 10 February 2011 - 14:12

Thank you for the commentary Elsa, I was going to cast my vote for Bilbo because it was decidedly different. But being a spazz I didn't get to it in time.  I had a hard time with your image figuring out if it was a PS manipulation or a cut and paste.  I think the next challenge should be animal portraits......
Chris Johnston
Omaruru Namibia

#9 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 10 February 2011 - 14:28

Congrats to Elsa!

Great entries, all of you. A lot of creative juices were flowing  ;D
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#10 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 14:43

Elsa,

Your image might be boring for you perhaps because it's your typical style, but that doesn't make it boring for me. (I haven't seen enough of your images to know what your typical style is.) I like the look in the woman's face, her posture, the chair and the use of selective color. Very interesting stuff that's not at all boring!

You mentioned that my image is "disappearing too much into the distance." That is EXACTLY my problem with the image as well. I wanted the image to be mostly a combination of shades of white and off-white but this one completely lacks punch. This is the first time that I have tried to make such an image and I probably got it wrong both in the capture and the post-processing.

Even so, I remain grateful as I mentioned elsewhere that you gave me an easy opportunity to get beyond my comfort zone. Perhaps most important, my disappointment in the image motivates me to study up on how to do this kind of work and to get better at it.

#11 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 17:44

I'm not a pro and have never been asked to do a product shoot, so I'm curious: Does the typical professional product shoot require the photographer to do everything from concept to design to photography with no help from other creative pros? I suspect the answer varies depending on whether the ad is to be on the rear cover of an international magazine or a small image in a local newspaper with relatively few subscribers, but I don't know.

#12 PatrickO

PatrickO

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 571 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 10 February 2011 - 18:30

In answer to your question Mike, it depends on the budget and the definition of a pro. The agency should at least specify what it is for and how they want to use it. Look at food photography. In one I saw the 'photographer' from the 'agency' rock up, whip out a P&S and proceeded to snap what was on the table. Then ate the subject.  In another the food was prepared for the photograph (totally inedible, but looking good and able to withstand lights and cooling/drying out). Then a food stylist went to work whilst the lighting was set up, the photog took a polaroid, agency bod made a few comments, stylist sprayed oil here, moved a leaf there, photog took several bracketed shots, and off it went to the lab. That is a crew of six people.

#13 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,723 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 10 February 2011 - 19:32

its true what Patrick says - I find companies here expect you to do the styling, think up an idea, and do everything in-between on a shoe string budget. Briefs are also almost non existent quite often
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#14 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,475 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 10 February 2011 - 20:07

Nice photo.  What's the target market?

#15 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 20:17

Thanks to Elsa and Patrick. The comments about food photography reminded me that years ago I knew a person who made a living cooking the food for the photo shoots. It was not unusual that she would bake 7 or 8 cakes for the same shoot so a fresh one with just the right look would always be available.

#16 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

• Moderators
  • 7,723 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 10 February 2011 - 20:30

Nice photo.  What's the target market?

Damn good question...... I dont have an answer.
Makes you think doesnt it. was this challenge a successful one? Photo wise - perhaps not. learning curve - yes.

#17 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 10 February 2011 - 20:52

Thanks Elsa. Your photos are always well done and interesting and this was no exception. My entry would not have even been entered if I had bothered to read the entire criteria. "Ladies Magazine," oops. Maybe a ladies aviator magazine? It was actually designed for a portrait layout book cover with the top and bottom blank areas being black for appropriate text. My concept was pulled at the last minute and I made a slight modification for this challenge. In the future, I'll read the info a little more carefully if I could possibly generate a reasonable entry.
There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#18 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,759 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 11 February 2011 - 15:36

Congrats, Elsa & thanks for the commentary on all the submissions. This is very much needed.

Win a thinkTank Retrospective 30 camera bag just by making a post to Fotozones this week! 

Please support Fotozones by purchasing your gear from our website advertisers wherever possible. 

#19 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 9,835 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 11 February 2011 - 19:49

I'm not a pro and have never been asked to do a product shoot, so I'm curious: Does the typical professional product shoot require the photographer to do everything from concept to design to photography with no help from other creative pros?

As one who rides on both sides of the fence (as a photographer and as an Advertising Agency Creative Director) let me try to answer that question.

A photograph for Press Advertising has to fulfil certain requirements:

Obviously the product has to be displayed and lit in the most alluring way possible but the photograph must also fit a pre-conceived Layout.

For a full-page four-sided Bleed Ad., it must be designed to fit the page-dimensions with enough extra image area around the Live-area for a 1/8" Bleed on all sides; and with sufficient space within the Live Area but kept clear of the Product itself for the overlying Text (which will normally include a Headline, body copy, address lines and a Company Logo.).

Additionally, the Ad. may be just one in a carefully planned Campaign so the photograph will need to match the mood of the rest of the images used in the campaign (maybe shot by other photographers) and fit a Layout which has been standardized for the complete Campaign.

When shooting for a situation like that, I usually make an acetate overlay of the Layout (with the Text areas inked in with a marker pen) which I stick over the ground glass of a large format camera and then arrange the Products to fit the available space. Tethered shooting with a Layout image available on the computer for use as an overlay to check the image for copy-fitting serves the same purpose.

When I am fortunate enough to be acting as both the Art Director and the Photographer, I have more leeway but I will always start with a very clear idea of my intended Layout and the content of the Body Copy in my mind although this can often evolve further following conversation with the client during the Shoot. But first, I will always make sure that I have a shot which fits the original concept before making variations which might be useful for further Ads., brochures or web site content.

Very few of the images submitted for this contest would meet these criteria, neither do most of them seem to be "Selling" the product with a clear marketing message: so in this connection (and while wearing my Art Director's hat!) I would have found Ho's (non-submitted) image to have been the most useful for use as a full-page Ad..

#20 Mike Buckley

Mike Buckley

• Life Member
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 20:03

Very helpful, Ann!

Can anyone disagree that this particular Challenge has perhaps led to the most increased knowledge in months? Hats off to Elsa for coming up with the idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users