The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

I finally found it...MTF's, etc for the 125 Lanthar!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:51

And all I can say is: WOW!

Attached Images

• Voigtlnder_MF_Macro_Apo-Lanthar_125mm_F2.5_SL_linsen.png
  • 125Lanthar_2.jpg

Machina fotografica necesse est

#2 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:57

For once, the correlation between an MTF chart and the manifested image quality appears well-founded  ;D

Publishing observations such as this won't exactly diminish the demand for the APO 125 ...
Bjørn

#3 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:01

For once, the correlation between an MTF chart and the manifested image quality appears well-founded  ;D

Publishing observations such as this won't exactly diminish the demand for the APO 125 ...

Hee hee...and I got a little more...a little snap from a brochure:

Attached Images

• Lanthar Brochure.jpg

#4 AlexV

AlexV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationYokohama

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:01

Where did you get the brochure? I bought one (love it, too) but it did not have the original paperwork.

Alex

#5 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:45

Where did you get the brochure? I bought one (love it, too) but it did not have the original paperwork.

Alex

I found this image of the brochure on the web somewhere...and to be honest, I have no recollection of the site. Will see if I can find a link.
Actually, here's the one:
http://www2.xitek.co...threadid=130276

#6 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,935 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 12 October 2010 - 15:10

I wonder does the lens have a separate cap and not only
this rubber hoodlid :-[,that not unlike
the 14-24 stays put behind in the bag whether
you like it or not. ;D

#7 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 12 October 2010 - 15:43

My copy has a screw-on cap.
You can probably order one somewhere.

Thx for posting the MTF, Sten. It is interesting in this case to see that.

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#8 Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

• Life Member
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationBig Rapids, MI USA

Posted 13 October 2010 - 13:24

Incredible. It makes sense to me... my favorite lends of all time.

I am not expert at reading MTF charts. How does the above MTF for the 125 Lanthar compare to the Coastal Optics 60mm at this link:

http://diglloyd.com/...f4/optical.html

Founder of MacroStop.com, the All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, All-Game Guide, ClassicPosters.com, SpiritGrooves.net, and other sites.

#9 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France

Posted 13 October 2010 - 14:13

Looks great out to 15mm, should be a great lens on DX  >:D
Camera (ˈkæ mə rə), n. Device for taking pictures in bright light
D7k and primes - on flickr

#10 Hugh_3170

Hugh_3170

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 799 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 13 October 2010 - 14:33

In one of the illustrations, I notice a price tag of 95,000 Yen.  I think that this is the equivalent of around $A1,180 or $US1,150 at the moment.  Interesting to compare this with what the Ebay sellers are asking.

#11 kds315

kds315

uvir.eu

• Life Member
  • 6,556 posts
  • LocationWeinheim, Germany

Posted 13 October 2010 - 14:41

That was the price when it was available new off the shelf. Considering that only a few 1.000 were ever made, no wonder that it passed the $2.000 mark already (and also considering the weakening USD against the JPY). I bought mine long ago directly in Japan and won't even mention the price (all complete in makers box) to avoid some readers' heart attacks  >:D :angel:
Klaus

"Seize the day"

www.uvir.eu

#12 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 13 October 2010 - 15:40

Some of us were plain lucky and purchased the 125 APO before the price hikes. Actually, I bought mine at a point in time where the price had very significantly slumped. Just a few hundred dollars.
Bjørn

#13 Tosh

Tosh

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 October 2010 - 16:21

Drat!  These MTF charts now make it abundantly clear that I'm the dull one in the shooting mage equation.  :(
Glenn

Nikon DSLR, Olympus M4/3, Some Extremely Nice Glass and Half a Clue. ( ^_^)

#14 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France

Posted 13 October 2010 - 17:47

For comparison with the 1:1 MTF. (bear in mind that this one is for 40,20,10 lm/mm while for the apo-lanthar they are at 30 and 10; also that the radius on this one goes out to 40mm not just to 22.5.

Posted Image

#15 Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

• Life Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 18:08

Would one of you please be kind enough to explain what the MTF Lanthar tells us? And, if you are feeling really friendly, how about how it compares to the Coastal Optics MTF I posted above.

Founder of MacroStop.com, the All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, All-Game Guide, ClassicPosters.com, SpiritGrooves.net, and other sites.

#16 Fredrik

Fredrik

Present

• Life Member
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationFusa, Norway

Posted 13 October 2010 - 18:09

I think it is very possible that there is a SLII version of this lens on the horizon, as Cosina is very aware of it's popularity.

I wonder what it's MTBF curve would look like  ;D
..even the voices in my head wonder why they still hang out with me.

#17 Erik Lund

Erik Lund

_

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 13 October 2010 - 18:16

For comparison with the 1:1 MTF. (bear in mind that this one is for 40,20,10 lm/mm while for the apo-lanthar they are at 30 and 10; also that the radius on this one goes out to 40mm not just to 22.5.

This is at f/4 ?!?

#18 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France

Posted 13 October 2010 - 19:04

This is at f/4 ?!?

well, its for an f/4 lens. It was just a comparison of another good 1:1 lens.

#19 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France

Posted 13 October 2010 - 19:20

Would one of you please be kind enough to explain what the MTF Lanthar tells us? And, if you are feeling really friendly, how about how it compares to the Coastal Optics MTF I posted above.

OK, here is my understanding, hopefully others wil chip in to correct things that I may have wrong.

MTF is modulation transfer function. The x  axis is in mm, 0mm is the centre of the lens and 22.5mm is the corner of a full frame sensor. The Y axis shows contrast, from 100% (perfect) to 0% (totally rubbish) :)

The 10 line pairs per mm line will always be higher (closer to 100%) than the 20, 30, 40 or 50 lp/mm lines, and there are certain theoretical limits caused by diffraction so traces for the higher line pairs per mm can't ever get to 100%. (On the MTF I posted, crosses and circles indicate those theoretical points).

Both saggital (lines oriented from centre to edge) and meridional (lines at 90 degrees to the saggital) patterns can be measured. A perfect lens has zero astigmatism and has the same pattern for both types. Real lenses don't.

In broad terms, high and flat and gradually sloping down but not sharply curving down is good. Saggittal and radial not diverging a lot is good. Having the 20, 30 or 40 lp/mm traces (whichever they provide) high and close to the 10 lp/mm is good.

Lenses typically have worse MTFs as they get towards 1:1 magnification (or beyond that to higher magnifications). The posted MTFs for the apo-lanthar are thus interesting because they give results for infinity, for 1:2 and for 1:1. The one I posted was for 1:1.

Things typically not disclosed, but which affect the interpretation:

• is this a theoretical, calculated MTF or an actual measured one that takes into account manufacturing and assembly tolerances
  • is this calculated for monochromatic light, or for some weighted mix of wavelengths (3, 5, 7) or an actual measurement with a real, continuous light source

#20 Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

• Life Member
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 19:24

Thanks very much for the intro. I will study it.

Is what you presented for the 125 Lanthar a really good MTF? If I understand what you wrote, it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.