Photo
- - - - -

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star - appalling (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars - below average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 Stars - average (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. 4 Stars - above average (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

5. 5 Stars - outstanding (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 06 September 2010 - 18:07

If you have used this lens, please share your experiences with the community by posting about them as a reply to this topic. This topic will be indexed on our "Other Lenses" page. You may post sample images taken with the lens.

Please don't ask questions pertaining to the lens on this thread, rather ask in the Lenses board.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 arthurking83

arthurking83

A royal pain in the ass

• Life Member
  • 946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 07 September 2010 - 00:58

Love this lens, and would never be without it now.
Have had mine since 2006, and 99.9999999% of my images have been taken with this lens.. even some 'pseudo macro' images I occasionally attempt.
This lens focuses really close, something like 20cm, and so has the ability to give a fabulous perspective.
Sharpness may not be up to Pro Nikon standard, but I've never felt it doesn't give me enough(D300 and D70s). CA and other possible aberrations are handled very nicely, and I've had a brief opportunity to play with a Tokina 11-16/2.8 some time back, and the Sigma is definitely better at CA/PF in high contrast scenes.
Not by a lot, unless you regularly pixel peep or print at 100% resolution, but the fact remains that the Sigma is better.
Focus is silent and fast and being HSM doesn't interfere with everyday usage of the lens(ie. full time manual focus over ride if I want)
I rarely use it beyond about 17mm, only really when I don't have easy access to any other lens. If I do need a lens beyond 17mm, my first preference is to go for another lens anyhow. Most of my images posted here will have been captured using this lens, and my only reservation is that sometimes even 10mm(on Dx) is still not wide enough!  ;D ... and 8-16mm may be on the cards one day.
I think it's the best value for money UWA lens by a long way.. considering how cheap it is. ... highly recommended for those looking to get one.

#3 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 January 2011 - 16:14

Voted 4 stars, but only after I've got a good copy. Watch out for decentering defects, when you buy one.
I was thinking of giving it only a 3 star rating as it is clearly worse than the Nikon 14-24/2.8G in the overlaping range which I gave 4 stars - but perhaps that should have been 5 stars then ::)
It's pretty amazing sharp (if you have a good copy) and handles light-sources in the image not too bad. But if the light-source is as powerful as the sun you can get some nasty red-brown streaking. So better shield the lens from direct sun.
Has the bonus of a 77mm filter-thread and a 24cm MFD which gives pretty freaking pictures at 10mm.
You can find more detailed information and sample images via my signature.

Thomas (moderator and lens-tester at Camera Labs)
All my lens reviews, My Photography Blog, My photos

#4 Leon

Leon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 03 January 2011 - 17:54

I tried two copies in advance for possible de-centring reasons, and kept the best.
Performance is (far) better than I did expect. At 20mm e.g. much better in corners at the more small DX format (as it is a DX-lens) than e.g. the FF-format Nikkor 20mm/2.8 AIS lens I tried at same aperture (f5.6). See examples: << HERE >>

Sigma at 20mm is a bit better in quality than at 10mm, mainly seen in corners, but seems reasonable for this extreme angle of views. So for best corner sharpness, stop down to f8 or f11 when used at about 10mm, as used at 20mm you can use f5.6 already. The lens maybe is not on par with the best lenses, but still a very good performer.
I rate it as 4 Stars (above average).

Léon

#5 dralph

dralph

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTown of Elmira, New York, USA

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:54

I gave this lens four stars, mainly because there are few competitors for its focal length and the price is very low compared to the Nikkors that were available at the time, plus it was wider than the Nikkor. I bought when the D300 came out, mainly just to have fun. I also rationalized that when an FX body follow up to the D3 came out, I could sell it and go for an FX wide. Well, I have the D700, but the Sigma is sticking around until I can make up my mind between the 14-24 and the 16-35. It is still a lot of fun. As an amateur, I do not feel qualified to say how excellent the image is, or not, other than it meets my needs for landscape and the occasional group shot very well.

#6 Hugh_3170

Hugh_3170

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 803 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 March 2011 - 13:59

I use the 10-20mm Sigma with my D200 and I am quite pleased with it. It was selected for me by a photographer salesman from five examples and its performance is certainly equal left versus right and top versus bottom. It is quite sharp once stopped down a little. The moustache distortion is present as has been noted elsewhere. Still good value for money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.