The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Tokina AT-X 287 AF PRO 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 (VI and VII)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (please note there are several versions of this lens) (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens (please note there are several versions of this lens)

1. appalling (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. below par (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. average (0 votes [0.00%])

4. above average (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

5. outstanding (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ThomasAdams

ThomasAdams

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 23:34

Post your experiences with this lens here. This topic will be indexed on our Equipment pages.

Please read the guidelines before participating.

#2 HenkL

HenkL

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:09

one sharp lens.. great.. IF you could find one which focuses properly. I bought one a month ago but had to return because of focusing issues.

#3 Marc Schlueter

Marc Schlueter

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 320 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 14 November 2010 - 15:07

I bought the first version of this lens when it came to the market, because at the time Nikon only offered the Nikkor AF 35-70mm/2.8.
At the shop I had both the Tokina AT-X 287 AF PRO 28-70mm/2.6-2.8 and the Angenieux AF 28-70mm/2.6 to choose from.
The both share the same optical design. Tokina bought that design from Angenieux.
I went for the Tokina mostly because of the stronger barrel (just shredded my Nikkor AF 28-85mm/3.5-4.5 before), but the lower price helped as well  ;D

The Tokina AF 28-70mm/2.6-2.8 Pro I was my main lens for years and did fit in every way perfectly between my Nikkor MF 20mm/2.8 AiS and Angenieux 180mm/2.3 DEM and later between my Nikkor AF 20-35mm/2.8 D and Nikkor AF 80-200mm/2.8 D on my F90 and F100.

It took about 5 years of heavy use and abuse (dropped it twice on stone, got dragged once a year through the Sahara, got sprinkled with all kinds of drinks on events) till it finally gave up. Someting inside got misaligned, I had to refocus after zooming. I replaced it with a new 28-70mm/2.6-2.8 Pro II of the last batch when they were discontinued.

Maybe I was very lucky, but both lenses performed equally well. The Pro I version flares a bit easier, though. I think the Pro II version has better coatings, plus the screw in hood of the Pro I is just pathetic. A friend took my advice, brought a used Pro II but got a real dog.

Mechanically I have no Nikkor AF lens that zooms or focuses smoother by hand. And the aperture ring puts my manual Nikkors to shame.

Optically, the Tokina 28-70mm/2.6-2.8 Pro II has some weaker corners, more CA's and more (but still moderate) distortion at 28mm, than on the longer focal length.
On the D300 it's soft wide open and I had to stop down to f/5.6 for good results.
On film and the D700 on the other hand, I don't hesitate to use it wide open. It has some quite smooth bokeh as well.

I never experienced any focus issues with Nikon AF cameras.

The Tokina 28-70mm/2.6-2.8 Pro II is optically no match to the Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm/2.8 G. No doubt about that.
I can't compare the Tokina to the Nikkor AF-S 28-70mm/2.8, but I heard they are close with the Nikkor a bit sharper wide open.
But it is way smaller than both and "good enough" for Street and PJ. I wouldn't rate it as a landscape lens, though.  ;)

That's actually exactly how I rate my Nikkor AF 20-35mm/2.8 D.
No match for my Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm G, but no anchor to drag around and doesn't scares the sh.... out of people in the street.  ;D

Ah, and don't get confused with the f/2.6 at 28mm not showing. No Nikon I ever mounted this lens on, ever recorded the f/2.6
'A circle of confusion is a group of photographers having a round table discussion about depth of field' - Mark Dubovoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.