The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS APO HSM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star - appalling (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars - below average (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. 3 Stars - average (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. 4 Stars - above average (7 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

5. 5 Stars - outstanding (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,162 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:03

Have you used this lens? If so, please let others know what your experiences with it were by posting a reply to this topic (please read the guidelines before posting here).

This topic is indexed on our OTHER LENSES page.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 gavinbrooks

gavinbrooks

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 287 posts
  • LocationStaines UK
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:25

I own this lens and can swear by it as it offers for me xxcellent sharp images plus the optical stabilizer is definately helpful when hand holding. Image below is handheld at 500mm and 1600 ISO 1/250th second F8.

Attached Images

• 150-500mm.jpg

Regards
Gavman

Fuji IS-PRO UV/IR, Nikon D90, Fujifilm S1 Pro and Canon EOS 1D MK IV.
Proud owner of a famous overweight Sigmonster 300-800mm lens, and now the Bigmonster 150-500mm lens too!
http://www.BestOfPhotography.com/
http://www.UV-VIS-IR.com/

#3 pcnilssen

pcnilssen
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:44

I bought this lens some months ago, and I am pretty good satisfied with it when using it on a D300.  It demands lots of light, so it is not a lens that get extensive use in the northern winter months.  Sharpness is quite OK, but it is also a lens that you need get used to.  The lock button is very useful when the camera and lens is hanging over your shoulder.  My lens is creeping fast when it is pointed downwards, and when it reaches 500mm, it is looooong.

As a note on the lighter side,  for those of you that are insecure, due to the size, this lens will get a lot of looks and interest from other photogs and from the opposite sex  ;) ;)  ;D

#4 Watchin

Watchin
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCitrus Springs, FL

Posted 12 June 2010 - 14:51

I bought this about a month ago. So far nothing but good impressions.
The weight and size are about what I expected, definitely not a handhold lens,
but build quality and image quality are better than anticipated.

This was taken on my first outting and they should only get better with practice.
Absolutely a keeper lens and recommended. With the current discounts it's an excellent purchase.

Posted Image

Greg (aka Watchin)
"Watchin the world go by trying to get the picture."
Greg (aka Watchin)
"Watchin the world go by trying to get the picture."

#5 whoelius

whoelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 23:24

I had a play with this for a few hours a week ago.  I was curious about the value of having 500mm readily available so cheaply so I rented it for the day.

Despite the price, I think it's expensive for what you get:  Images really lacked bite and contrast and I had to stop down to f/11 to satisfactorily avoid falloff at 500mm.  Life is a bit better within the 150mm to ~350mm range where the falloff isn't so intrusive, but still, the sharpness is OK at best.  Interestingly enough, I didn't have any of the focusing issues I've read about with this lens.

The build quality is alright.  Again, it's what you'd expect for such a cheap way of getting 500mm.  I wouldn't use it as a cricket bat.

I gave it a 2.  Being cheap doesn't mean it's any better.

(I tried the lens only on FX.)

#6 JDar

JDar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTX and NM USA
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:46

After using the Sigma 150-500 most of last summer I have to give it 4 stars for success at its price point. I find it fairly easy to hand hold with its version of stabilization though that seems to slow acquiring focus, especially in less than bright light. In bright light no problems, and the lens performs almost as well wide open as stopped down. Most say f8 or so gives the peak of its sharpness but it's no slouch wide open.

For bird photos which usually involve serious cropping any peripheral aberrations would seldom be of concern. If you are interested in this lens rent one for a week and try it out before committing. Although the heavy zoom will drift if lowered there is a lock button should you need it. Build quality seems substantial but not as polished as some Nikkor offerings.

Sigma is offering an adequate lens for birding and animals at a reasonable price, perfect for a hobbyist.

NoFlickr.jpg

Edited by JDar, 05 March 2012 - 03:40 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.