Photo
- - - - -

Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E II

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this teleconverter (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this teleconverter

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below average) (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. 3 Stars (average) (12 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:20

Have you used this teleconverter? If so please let others know what you think of it by posting a reply in this thread.

Please don't ask questions abiut this item in this thread, rather open a new thread in the appropriate board.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,424 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 06 December 2009 - 14:33

Using it mostly on a 300/2.8 AFS. Needs one stop down, making it a usable F8 combo which is still not up to the performance of the naked lens.

cheers
afx
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#3 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 06 December 2009 - 14:49

It's very good on the 300/2.8 AFI and good on the 400/2.8 AFS too. Not convincing on the 200-400 VR.
Bjørn

#4 cabo

cabo

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 208 posts
  • LocationBonn, Germany

Posted 06 December 2009 - 17:06

I recently tried it on the new 70-200/2.8 VR II. Contrary to the TC-14E II on the same lens, performance was not very good. At the wider apertures there was clearly visible color fringing towards the edges of the frame, which disappeared about two stops down (which, after all, is effectively f/11).

#5 gsabbio

gsabbio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 May 2011 - 17:32

Used on a Nikkor AFS 70-200 f2.8 VR (first version)

It produces low quality images even if closed 2-3 stops.

Not recommended at all on this lens.

#6 Maurie

Maurie
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAuckland, NZ
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 09 January 2012 - 21:00

I have this TC and use it (in desperation cases only) on 70-200/2.8: very disappointing!

#7 ozone

ozone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:32

I had this, and sold it quickly. Simply cropping (and/or resizing) the image from the naked lens gives better results.

The TC-20E III is much better. However, if you're after no visible degradation of quality, 1.4x is the furthest you should go.

But, in that case: also carrying a cheap, light, high resolution DX-camera (e.g. a Nikon D3200 with its 24MP) will do a much better job than any teleconverter! (and give 1.5x!)

So all in all, TC's are a waste of money.

#8 Fanie

Fanie

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:17

On 300 f2.8 AFI it came with the case, good and to my eye not that much difference to the Mk3 version.
Enjoy Global Warming while you can, the next Ice Age is on its way........

#9 Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

Michael Erlewine

• Life Member
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationBig Rapids, MI USA
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 11 May 2013 - 17:58

I have this and all of the others. None are very good. The most recent one is better, but these and diopters are a good way to make an average lens out of a good one IMO.

Founder of MacroStop.com, the All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, All-Game Guide, ClassicPosters.com, SpiritGrooves.net, and other sites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.