The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:32

What is your experience with this lens? This topic will be indexed on our NIKKOR LENSES page. Please read the guidelines before posting, and keep your comments related to your experiences with this lens so that others may draw value from them. Off topic comments will be removed.

You may post sample images taken with the lens in this thread. If you have a question relating to the lens, please don't ask here, use the "Lenses (FX and DX)" discussion board instead. 
Camera (ˈkæ mə rə), n. Device for taking pictures in bright light
D7k and primes - on flickr

#2 Elisa

Elisa

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 15:19

How long have you used the item? 

Approx 12 months.

What did you specifically buy it for?

As a walk around to a D300.

Has the lens lived up to your expectations?

Yes.

Would you recommend the item to others?

Yes.

#3 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 18 October 2009 - 17:14

I bought the 16-85 for VR and for the range at the wide end almost a year ago.  It has never let me down in any way.  If I break it, I will buy another one very quickly.

Very sharp, great contrast, flexible and not excessively large and heavy.  Balances well on the D300.  The VR is effective.

I have 14 Nikon lenses and the odds are that the 16-85 will be on the camera when I take it with me.

Best Regards, Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

#4 thor55

thor55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationLelystad, Flevoland

Posted 22 May 2010 - 17:06

I have this beauty for almost two years (got it for Fathers day 2008) and I am very happy using it.
At this page Oldtimers on Pbase I've used it solely.

This an example shot:

Posted Image

Nikon D300s - Nikkor & Samyang Glasswork  - Nikon SB600 Thor's Pbase Photo Space

#5 rkt

rkt
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:49

- How long have you used the item?
Got it along with the D300s, 3 weeks now

- What did you specifically buy it for?
Wanted a good quality walk-around, with good build to take a knock or two ... the reviews were all good ... and the range was very tempting too ...

- Has the lens lived up to your expectations?
Yes, I am extremely happy with what I have seen from this lens

- Would you recommend the item to others?
Yup ... a little pricey but then it gives a lot, and gets as much done ...  :)
Nikon D300s, D3100, 35 1.8, 16-85 VR, 70-300 VR, 105 2.8 VR, 18-55 VR, 55-200 VR
Panasonic LX3 + FZ5

#6 addieleman

addieleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:28

A few months, bought it second-hand to go with my D300s

Wanted a general-purpose lens with good IQ

Don't know yet, I don't seem to get pictures as sharp as from the Tokina 11-16mm or Nikon 70-300mm VR, even after applying AF fine-tune. Handling and build quality is OK, VR is fairly effective.

With some reservation about IQ.
Best regards, Ad.

My home page

#7 another_4711

another_4711

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 21:29

About 2 or 3 years

Universal use; only lens to take on a longer trip / in holidays

Fully; the few weakness can be eliminated by PP (corner light fall of and distortion at 16mm).

Yes; maybe the best Nikon DX lens (very sharp and contrasty; it produces unexpected large jp-files).

#8 marek

marek

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 784 posts
  • LocationWarszawa

Posted 23 December 2010 - 20:44

Replaced the 18-70mm with this lens when it first came out. Going to 24mm effective over 28mm was a big deal for me. Great perfomer across the board although it lacks character of professional zooms & primes. But it's difficult to beat for an all round DX lens. VR compensates nicely for the f/5.6 tail end (& the fact it gets there earlier in the zoom range).
marek

#9 Trekker308

Trekker308
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, UK

Posted 17 February 2012 - 17:23

When I purchased a D300s, this lens replaced the 18-70 that was usually mounted on my D200. I find it excellent, and it's difficult to fault the colour rendition, contrast and sharpness at the much used wide end - contrast and sharpness drops a bit at 85mm, but that's a small price to pay for what has become a loved 'walkaround' lens.

No idea about the VR, as I've yet to use it!
D300s + D90, assorted AF and MF Nikkors and a Tamron 90mm Macro

#10 another_4711

another_4711

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 19:17

I also started with the 18-70, which came along with the camera. The 16-85mm was quite an additional spending; but for me it was very worthwhile. The range on 16-85 has shown to be sufficient for all kinds of holiday trips, when I want a light baggage - e.g. familly holidays.

The main weakness of the 16-85 is, that it is a slow lens. Here VR comes in helpfully; but only for getting sharp pictures. DOF of such a slow lens can not be much of a "picture composing feature".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.