Photo
- - - - -

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 Stars (average) (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DougJGreen

DougJGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 17:02

I got one recently and I think it's fantastic.  I compared it to a friend's Nikkor 12-24, and the Tokina blows the Nikkor away on resolution AND build quality (and it costs much less).    Also, many folks seem unaware that this lens is quite a competent full frame wide angle down to around 17mm.   I haven't used it on digital Full Frame, but I put a roll of film through a Nikon F100 and this lens is a champ.  It's superior to my older manual 7mm Tokina f3.5 prime and my Nikkor 20mm f2.8 AI prime on full frame film.  The only imperfection I can see with this Tokina 12-24 is that it flares fairly easily.  Also, it's not an AF-S lens, so it won't AF on a bodies up to the D5000.

#2 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:34

What is your experience with this lens? This topic will be indexed on our OTHERLENSES page. Please keep your comments related to your experiences with this lens so that others may draw value from them. Off topic comments will be removed.

You may post sample images taken with the lens in this thread. If you have a question relating to the lens, please don't ask here, use the "Lenses (FX and DX)" discussion board instead. 
Camera (ˈkæ mə rə), n. Device for taking pictures in bright light
D7k and primes - on flickr

#3 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 18 October 2009 - 17:20

Very good to excellent from 12-20mm.  Have to stop down to f/11 for sharpness at 24mm. 

Best Regards, Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

#4 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 October 2009 - 18:39

I reviewed this lens some time ago, see details here.
It made a better impression on me than the Sigma 10-20mm and 12-24mm but that was partly because my first copy of the Sigma 10-20 was awfully decentered. It was quite a good lens and I would have kept it were it not for the large overlapping range with my 18-200mm.
I finally ended up with a (good copy of the) Sigma 10-20mm and am still happy with the decision.

Thomas (moderator and lens-tester at Camera Labs)
All my lens reviews, My Photography Blog, My photos

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 28 October 2009 - 23:30

I am loathe to part with this, my one remaining DX lens.  I have a sharp copy and it is just brilliant and a wonderful crowd lens.

Lew

My latest photo oriented blog posts include "Getting to a Final Image - some words for a new photographer."

Pictures and the occasional blog posting about photography and travel at http://lewlortonphoto.com

Posted Image

#6 smhese

smhese

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 23 December 2009 - 23:20

Nice DX wide zoom and supposed to perform better that the 12-24 from Nikon. Definitely outperforming the Nikkor AIS 20 mm. Fringing is however a real problem and you need to make sure that this is calibrated in postprocessing and usually not all is removed. Sharp lens and build well. Mine was dropped together with my d1x and so I had some nice insights how the lens is build. Lots of plastic - not necessarily a bad thing but the build has a good "feel factor". Thats how I would call it. But the lens isnt build to the pro level of Nikon Pro f2.8 zooms - and its also not in that price range (as you know :) ).

Not usable for IR - there is a very strong hot spot in the center of the frame clearly visible even at f4 and increasing if the aperture is closed - for IR I use the Nikkor 10.5 and the AIS 20 mm - both work great.
What is annoying imo: if you change from  AF to MF using the lens clutch mechanism you might change your focus point. Its a detail but I believe it makes life a bit harder -

Ill keep mine as long as I have a DX camera.

#7 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,939 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:31

Posted Image

d300 tokina 12-24 @f8,12mm
It's  pretty sharp and good on dx but it's a f4 only and that shows in comparison with nikkor faster lenses.
The sunhood comes off rather quickly sometimes while shooting and that's a pain ruining pictures,
neither do i like the af/mf switch.
I have a love-hate relation with the lens!
All and all it's wide it is well built and cheap sharp enough get one for dx or else go for the 14-24

#8 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:49

Truly an excellent lens, I mainly used it from f/8 to f/11 where it is tack sharp from corner to corner. Due to the lack of any decent coatings things like flare and ghosting are a problem but whenever that became a problem I was long gone as it also meant the magic light was gone ;D ;D

Some shots:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Flare and stuff:
Posted Image

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#9 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 24 December 2009 - 20:16

A really good lens overall.  Mine performs great up to about 20mm.  20mm - 24mm are still good but not in the same league with performance between 12 and 18mm.  If you stop it down to f8, it gets better at the long end but still not as good as the shorter range.

Best Regards, Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.