#1 Baywing

Baywing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 03 October 2006 - 15:53

In a Halloween Day shot from last year, this young humpback whale, Shards, was headed for the big city, maybe for a night of trick or treating.  What a whale would want is beyond me, but they certainly have the mouth to carry it!!
Posted Image
Galleries at:  www.pbase.com/baywing 

I may not know much about art, but I know what I like--John Cleese, Monty Python

#2 Guest_HulaMike_*

Guest_HulaMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:08

great image with or without the orange city skyline.

.....I'm still envious living in Hawaii Brah.

#3 Baywing

Baywing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 05 October 2006 - 13:47

I've always heard that Hawaii is one of the best places to go whale watching and it's a goal to get there someday.  Are you saying that it's not what it's advertised to be?
Thanks for the comments.

I may not know much about art, but I know what I like--John Cleese, Monty Python

#4 Guest_HulaMike_*

Guest_HulaMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 22:02

Its just harder to get as close as you do on the East Coast. Very tightly regulated here.

#5 Baywing

Baywing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 05 October 2006 - 23:16

Thanks Mike.  I did some checking earlier and it seems the regs are a bit tougher in your neck of the woods.  Likely has to do with it being their mating and calving area.  The regs in this area are a little looser, but I'm finding there isn't much teeth in them either.  While the commercial whale watch boats follow the guidelines, the average idiot with a boat seems to do what they want, and I've seen way too many almost collisions.  There was a collision off NJ last week, a 51' sport fishing boat hit a small humpback.  The whale died almost instantly, the boat sank in 3 minutes.  They saw it in the water, didn't know what it was but apparently didn't slow down or change course. (All 7 on the boat were rescued)

#6 Guest_HulaMike_*

Guest_HulaMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 23:44

wow!

#7 Derrel

Derrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 23:29

Wow, that city skyline backdrop and the backlighted water droplets coming off the fluke...simply an outstanding photo. I've seen thousands of whale watching photos, but never one with an urban backdrop! Sweeeeet!
--
Happy Shooting!
Derrel
http://www.pbase.com/derrel

#8 TOLady

TOLady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:35

What a fabulous photograph - the colours, the water droplets...... beautiful!!!
Sandi www.pbase.com/sjackson

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users