Photo
- - - - -

Cosina Voigtländer SL Color-Heliar 75mm f/2.5

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (2 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 27 May 2009 - 21:07

What is your experience with this lens? This topic will be indexed on our OTHER LENSES  page. Please keep your comments related to your experiences with this lens so that others may draw value from them. Off topic comments will be removed.

You may post sample images taken with the lens in this thread. If you have a question relating to the lens, please don't ask here, use the "Lenses For Nikons" board instead.
Camera (ˈkæ mə rə), n. Device for taking pictures in bright light
D7k and primes - on flickr

#2 aure

aure

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:06

This is kinda special lens. Very compact and light, build quality is the same as other early Cosina-Voigtlander SL lenses. Not sure how many of these were made, but it's long time out of production and rather hard to find (hint: japanese sellers on Ebay), retail price was around 375$, I got mine secondhand for 430$ but saw USD 700+ price tags since then.

As the name 'Color' suggests, it is producing vivid colors, especially reds: I was surprised when I saw pictures of the flowers on my camera LCD screen - it was not so saturated in reality.

The second half of the name - 'Heliar' - means it is supposed to show slight halo around bright areas in contrasty scenes. (That's what I read in the reviews of it's rangefinder brother). Not always visible, but you can see if you know what to look for.

Glass is non-APO, so CA can be visible but not bothersome, to me. Pictures come out not as razor sharp as V 90/3.5, making it more suitable to women portrature (I think it is rather microcontrast, than sharpness itself, because it is not soft by any means) .  Acceptably sharp wide open, very good at f/4 and downwards. Bokeh is mostly neutral.

I like this lens a lot, easy to carry and joy to use.

All shot at f/4:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 percafluvialitis

percafluvialitis

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 16:00

This is a very nice street photo lens, often more useable than a 50mm (which I find too wide for medium distances). It's small, light-weight and the technical image quality is good to very good. Wide open you'll see very slight vignetting, which is gone at f/4. There is some geometric distortion (very slight pincushion) but it's not enough to notice in practice.

I've used it on the D4 and D800 and while I think it's good to very good, I've never felt it to match the excellent sharpness of the other SL series teles (the 90/3.5, 125/2.5 and 180/4). Real strengths why this brush is very good is the bokeh, also the lens has a wonderful fingerprint, very dimensional ie. the 3D "pop" is there to touch in photos.

Weaknesses: I have two, both with same structural problem - the silver focusing ring unscrews itself. Quick googling of user comments confirms this is a common problem with the lens. Easy to fix, some glue in the threads and it was cured.

Unlike the other SL series tele lenses, the 75/2.5 will show purple fringing when pushed to it.

For sample photos uploaded in original size, see my photoset on Flickr:

Edited by percafluvialitis, 05 January 2013 - 22:07 .

Vilhelm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.