Photo
- - - - -

Cosina Voigtländer Color Skopar SL II 20mm f/3.5

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. 3 Stars (average) (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 27 May 2009 - 21:00

What is your experience with this lens? This topic will be indexed on our OTHER LENSES  page. Please keep your comments related to your experiences with this lens so that others may draw value from them. Off topic comments will be removed.

You may post sample images taken with the lens in this thread. If you have a question relating to the lens, please don't ask here, use the "Lenses For Nikons" board instead.

Edited by ChrisLilley, 17 March 2011 - 21:50 .

Camera (ˈkæ mə rə), n. Device for taking pictures in bright light
D7k and primes - on flickr

#2 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:53

I received one of the earliest samples shipped to the US, purchased from Camera Quest in Los Angeles. Central sharpness, exemplary flare resistance, moderate corner softness, noticeable vignetting and wave-type distortion similar to what was reported on the new Zeiss 21. As an AI-P lens, it overexposed by ~2/3 stop but not consistently so. In strong light, a correction of 1 EV was needed for an even exposure; I returned it for this reason. As a lens on a DX camera it should behave very well as a compact 30mm lens without the issues I encountered on the D700.

#3 Tosh

Tosh

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:32

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some 100% crops from the above images:

#6 focus area:
Posted Image

#3 focus area:
Posted Image

#3 background area of bear shot:
Posted Image

#4 right side of image, not sure where focus was placed:
Posted Image

Night shot:

Posted Image

I'm quite happy with the lens. I think it's contrasty, and sharp throughout the image. It's well-built and a joy to use.
I don't do much wide shooting, so having a physically small lens like the CV 20 to fill that limited need works well for me. 
I have noticed some of the overexposure issues mentioned in Ed's post. 
I find I have fewer exposure issues when I avoid matrix metering.

Glenn

Nikon DSLR, Olympus M4/3, Some Extremely Nice Glass and Half a Clue. ( ^_^)

#4 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:17

You have a particularly sharp sample. I've seen postings on Flickr where others haven't been so lucky.

#5 Tosh

Tosh

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:31

From what I've heard, Cosina is pretty good in handling less than perfect lenses.  I hope it's true for those with less than stellar copies.

I was so favorably impressed by my CV 20 that I just bought the CV 40.
Glenn

#6 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 16:19

Just got mine back from Cameraquest after the 20 was sent back to Japan and Cosina seems to have modifie the chip; it no longer overexposes. 2nd run should incorporate this correction, as was the case with the 58/1.4.

#7 Tosh

Tosh

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 July 2009 - 19:44

That's good news, Ed.
I should probably test mine more thoroughly and send it back to Steve Gandy for rechipping if I have doubts.
Glenn

#8 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 17:11

Shot into the sun @ f/11

Attached Images

• globe.jpg

#9 yunfat

yunfat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 19:16

Looks like they fixed your copy ed.  That shot looks tough to meter and very sharp, the lens handled it qute well.  Good news.

#10 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 17:25

The USS Maine monument with the Time Warner Center in the background, New York City:

Attached Images

• maine_monument.jpg

#11 aure

aure

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:20

Mine copy had inconsistent overexposure too. Since warranty service was not available, I removed that darned chip and used this lens manually. I must say this is rather f8-f11 lens, wide open its soft all over and 5.6 is not improving much. It would be OK for me, since I'm shooting at 20mm quite rarely, but the price paid for this underperformer and frustratiion caused by second Cosina lens that had a bad chip makes me regret about this purchase. If I knew all that, I'd rather had Nikkor 20/3.5 or f2.8.
  • ed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.