The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Nikon D700

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 09 March 2010 - 16:56

This camera is simply magical. Nothing is perfect, but this is darn close. Any problems are generally not the fault of the equipment, but the user. Learn the tool and marvel at the results.
There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#42 LSE

LSE

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 735 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:41

D3 image quality for less money. don't worry, your raws will never know what you payed.

#43 nymets2009

nymets2009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:36

I love this camera.  I use it almost all of the time, while my D2x sits at home.  The low light shots are terrific.  My only complaint is that I am not able to autofocus on sports action as fast as my D2x

#44 StevoRocket

StevoRocket

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:26

Till I got the D700 I would always shoot JPG large fine, then I did a set of pics for a friend of his new holiday cottges business and shot raw+jpg basic - now I only shoot raw. The difference in colours was amazing between jpg and raw.
The other big shift was to get the 70-200mm VR II F2.8. Now I know why expensive lenses are expensive. What a combination!

StevoRocket
D700
Primes: Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4D, 16mm AF Fisheye-Nikkor f/2.8D
Zooms: Nikkor, 28-80G, 28-100G, 70-210 D,Tokina 80-400mm, Tokina 20-35mm Pro,
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II AF-S.
Nikkor TC 14E II,  Teleplus TC 1.7

#45 lenmil

lenmil

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 02 October 2010 - 23:36

Had my D700 + 50mm 1.4G two months now. Amazing camera, amazing what it is capable of. I would like the CF door to be better. Seems flimsy. Wish it had 100 VF but i can live with it. That's all i can say to change on it.

Feels great in your hand. Very easy to use. Wish i had gotten this sooner than i did. Oh and it's my first Nikon. Used to be an Olympus user from OM4Ti to E20P. This D700 is just so far ahead.

Love it i have to say.

Take the shot, you never know.

#46 SlingingGlass

SlingingGlass

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas or wherever I wake up!

Posted 02 October 2010 - 23:53

Got to shoot a friend's 700.  Very nice of course, I do like my F5 a little better though.   I didn't get the chance to shoot side by side against my 14Nx yet (no anti-a on that) but would expect a noticeable difference.  Obviously not comparing shots with high patterns or repetitious designs - that would be waste of time against the '700.
sg

I would submit one can see no further than the distance from one's optic nerve to one's retina, everything else is a reflection waiting to happen.

#47 aisnikkor

aisnikkor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHighland, California

Posted 05 December 2010 - 19:47

I recently picked up this body after owning the D300s for several months.  Previously I had owned D2H, D2X and then a D3 for a couple of years.  Sold the D3 earlier this year for financial reasons and picked up the D300s.  I never really warmed to the D300s, both for differences in image quality and because my lens selection was oriented to FX, not DX format.

With the D700, the body feels better in my hands than the D300s, particularly without the MB-D10.  I used the D300s with the MB-D10 most of the time because it balanced better with the 24-70mm f/2.8, the lens I found myself using most often on that body.  Now that I can get full use out of my MF primes again with the D700, I am finding I really like using the body without the grip attached.  The extra weight and slight increase in bulk over the D300s fit my hands better and feels better balanced - the size and weight does not seem like it should be a plus, but it is for me.

When I went from the D2X to the D3, I was really happy with the image quality improvements even though the pixel count was the same.  I am finding the same type of improvement with the D700 over the D300s, but not at the same magnitude.  The image quality with the D300s was really good.  The major difference seems to be that I need less work in post processing with the D700 over the D300s.  Also, I have great high ISO performance again - yeah!  The thing that always impressed me with the D3 was how good the color quality and saturation was at 1600-3200-6400.  With other cameras at 1600 ISO, I was getting less color and punch to the images than I was getting at 6400 with the D3.  Looking forward to having that back with the D700.

On a side note, I am using the DK-17M with a DK-19 with the D700 and I really like it.  DK-17M is 1.2x magnifying eyepiece, DK-19 is the round rubber eyecup.  The DK-19 is another big ergonomic preference for me with the D700 over the D300s - I did not realize how much I missed it until having it back again.  I was having real issues with the D300s and manual focus lenses, and these problems have been all but eliminated with the D700/DK-17M combo - manual focus is much easier now and more precise for my aging eyes.
Tom
Highland, California

#48 mshi

mshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:17

I have used D700 for about two years now. It's a baby D3 and it's got a great form factor.

One complaint is the rubber grip materials on the body. Because I have sent mine back four times already in the course of two-year ownership, and Nikon has replaced all of them by now, including the bottom camera plate part.

#49 Marc Schlueter

Marc Schlueter

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 320 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:07

I'm using my D700 for nearly two years now as well and I'm still very happy with it.

Sure I have complain's about it:  >:D
-I would love to have the AF points spread like in the D300!
-that Auto ISO feature is not available via the ISO button is just plain stupid engineering  ???
-I would like change the AF start button to a AF stop button
-the menue is a little messy

What else I like to change:
I don't need a dedicated button for the file format, I shoot RAW and like to dedicate the button to something usefull  ;)
Auto ISO again. It's a great feature but poorly implemented for everyday use:
-why is it not accessible from the ISO button?
-why is it not possible to quickly override the max ISO of AUTO ISO with a higher ISO value dialed in with the ISO button?

What can go:
The inbuild flash. I don't use it.
'A circle of confusion is a group of photographers having a round table discussion about depth of field' - Mark Dubovoy

#50 Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:57

i am in absolute love with my D700. i could never see my self needing anything more. and slap the MB-D10 on there and you got yourself a D3...(basically) i on the other hand do use the built in flash for the autoslave on my SB-600.  i have zero complaints on it....well maybe a little bit bigger top LCD other than that it is a magnificent Body. an in credible upgrade from my old D60. :D

#51 yendikeno

yendikeno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:16

Absolutely love mine, and unlike Marc S., do use the camera flash to trigger an off-camera flash via the CLS occasionally. I'm also always amazed at the quality of high ISO shots. What a treat!
-----------------
Regards,
AZFred - Zenfolio discount code:  YHX-1GA-D2Z

#52 mshi

mshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:18

Out of curiosity, I emailed NikonUSA and asked about the cost for replacing D700's shutter unit due to its life cycle. Today Nikon's reply says the cost should be somewhere between $143 and $240.

#53 juelsbo

juelsbo
  • Life Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKlarup, Denmark

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:40

As I couldn´t find out which brand to follow, I have had - up to a year ago - both Nikon D300 and Canon EOS 7D at the same time.
Nikon because of its bodies, which fitted my hands the best and Canon because of my L-lenses.
As I wanted one camera only, I weighted Nikon D700 over Canon 5D (I or II) primarily because of its internal flash, which I use for both fill-flash and for triggering my external flash.
With D700 I have an all-inclusive camera in a nice wrap up - so nothing has to be changed for the next couple of years...
Cheers
Carsten Juelsbo

What is seen, depends of the eyes seeing - and the glass, through which we see.

#54 Scott Murphy

Scott Murphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Posted 31 December 2010 - 19:37

The D700 is my first DSLR after 35 years of using F2's and F4's and I am very well pleased with it. I waited until Nikon came out with an FX format camera that I could easily afford and justify to the household purchasing agent.  ;D It has the heft I am used to and fits my hands perfectly. It feels very solid to me. I do not have any autofocus lenses, only AIS Nikkors, so the first thing I did was replace the focusing screen with a microsprism spot from focusingscreen.com . It works absolutely perfectly. On the rare occasion that I use the camera's meter, opting to use my hand held Sekonic L-358 or 1ş Pentax Spotmeter instead, it usually gets very close to the same exposures I arrive at manually.

Although I dream one day of owning a D3X, my D700 fulfills all of my requirements, including enlargements to 16x20 and beyond, perfectly.

“Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter.”

- Ansel Adams

#55 Scott Murphy

Scott Murphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Posted 31 December 2010 - 19:41

As I couldn´t find out which brand to follow, I have had - up to a year ago - both Nikon D300 and Canon EOS 7D at the same time.
Nikon because of its bodies, which fitted my hands the best and Canon because of my L-lenses.
As I wanted one camera only, I weighted Nikon D700 over Canon 5D (I or II) primarily because of its internal flash, which I use for both fill-flash and for triggering my external flash.
With D700 I have an all-inclusive camera in a nice wrap up - so nothing has to be changed for the next couple of years...

I borrowed a Canon D5 MkII for a day and I found it to be rather flimsy feeling. It felt much more like a consumer grade than a professional grade DSLR to me. The D700 feels professional in all respects. It may have more megapixels than the D700 but MP is far from the only important thing when choosing a DSLR. I would not waste my money on the Canon, personally.

“Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter.”

- Ansel Adams

#56 Scott Murphy

Scott Murphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Posted 31 December 2010 - 19:45

I have used D700 for about two years now. It's a baby D3 and it's got a great form factor.

One complaint is the rubber grip materials on the body. Because I have sent mine back four times already in the course of two-year ownership, and Nikon has replaced all of them by now, including the bottom camera plate part.

It is very unusual to have the rubber come up on any camera. What environment are you storing them in? It is a very bad idea to leave them in a car in the summer, not only for the sake of the electronics, but also the high heat may degrade the adhesive and cause the rubber to peel. I live in one of the hottest and most humid areas of the country and have never had problems with rubber or leatherette every coming up on any cameras.

- Ansel Adams

#57 Cloudmaker

Cloudmaker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 31 December 2010 - 23:39

amazing what it is capable of

I've had mine for just under two years and it is my first DSLR.  Shortly after I got it, I had some prints made to hang in our new house from older scanned slides and one from the D700, and the difference was quite noticeable.  So I'm very, very happy with mine ...

I do like my F5 a little better though

I used to love my F5, but I have to say the ease and creative possibilities of digital have made me a convert

I would like the CF door to be better. Seems flimsy.

Agree.  Mine sometimes doesn't want to close properly and requires some persuasion to stay closed.  But it's not a big issue.

Cheers
Michael
Michael Larkin  www.cloudmaker.com

#58 Glider

Glider

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 344 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:10

My first Nikon was an S-2 rangefinder and I've owned an F, FE, F4, F5, D70, D200, D300. I've owned the D700 for more than a year and really feel like I am just now starting to use the camera as it was designed to be used. It is far and away the best SLR I've ever owned. I like the popup flash and would not go toa D3 because the D3 lacks that feature. It's handy for Nikon CLS. I don't need more than 12 mp (Just shot a BILLBOARD for cryin' out loud!), but if the camera Gods asked me to improve the D700, here's what I'd do: Dual card slots, 100% viewfinder, better buffer, bluetooth capability. From here on, it's just things I'll always want...better dynamic range, better low light capability. Magnificent camera that shows my faults far more often than it shows it's own.
"You've got to work with your mistakes until they look intended. Understand?" — Raymond Carver

#59 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:25

I have had my D700 for a relatively short time and for me it is superb, a few niggles, viewfinder, CF door a little flimsy etc. But still a magnificent machine.

One big drawback is that the learning curve of mastering the D700 is an extremely long and winding road, but it is an interesting road!

Regards to all.

Mike
Mike Gorman
My interview thread :- this link

#60 borden1812

borden1812

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:21

My D700 is at Nikon for repair due to the mirror locking up and I really miss using it especially as I am a winter birder with a newish 80-400 VR 11 lens awaitjing the D700's return.  I like the camera, including the buillt-in flash.  My dislikes are the viewfinder and focus screen (ageing eyes), noisy shutter operation (scares the close birds; feathered and otherwise), and the flimsy CF card and battery doors.  My Pentax K10 has metal turnkey door locks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.