The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Nikon D700

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,162 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 27 May 2009 - 19:00

If you have used the Nikon D700 let others know what you think of it by posting about your experiences here.

If you are thinking of buying a D700 please consider using this link to buy it from B&H and help support this site.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,162 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:34

Quite simply the best Nikon camera I have ever used. It will be extremely difficult to improve on this because the balance between resolution and dynamic range is just about perfect, as is high ISO performance.

The only thing about the camera that I think could use a re-design is the CF card door. Seems very flimsy. The D2 series was much better designed.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#3 Dazza76

Dazza76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:53

I've had mine for about a week and as mentioned above, it's the best Nikon i've owned. The only exception would be build...that award would have to go to the D2X. The CF door isn't ideal but I was fiddling with my D200 last night and realised that the CF door is just as flimsy and whilethe switch to open it is good it's just an additional mechanism that could go wrong.

#4 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationEindhoven NL
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 04 September 2009 - 21:32

I still have that image in my head, the Japanese trumpet player in the night club, taken with a D3 at 6400ASA/39(!)DIN, circulating around the web at the time that the D3 was announced. OMG FF Nikon was finally going to happen and in what a great way....

I basically see the D700 as a low cost mini D3, a D700 and 14-24 or 24-70 for less than the cost of a D3.

It is simply the very best Nikon digital SLR I ever owned. After nearly a year, are there any remarks?

1) the CF door is just a tiny little flimsy

2) the 95% viewfinder means that I have to crop a little afterwards for critically framed pictures

3) I don't care for the crappy flash. It is a rudiment from the era that low-cost digital SLR's were based on cheap film bodies. IMHO it is only usable for triggering of external flashes. If you do think that is a great feature, think about it again and let me know why it is not on a D3 or D3x. Please Nikon use the space for a GPS receiver or for an even better viewfinder prism.

4) Last month the rubber at the right front side of the body (around the lens release button and remote / pc connectors) decided to go for a life on its own. I ordered a new part through the web store of Nikon service The Netherlands. Very convenient DIY, issue solved without the need for sending the body to the repair shop.

Five stars out of 5 stars.

Eddie

• m-hermann likes this

#5 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 22:02

Agree with everything you said except for the flash. As 'dinky' as it is, it has come in handy for fill-in, in close quarters on more occasions than I can remember.

5 stars (without reservations).

#6 Sambru

Sambru

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 204 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:40

I have had mine for a week now, and I am discovering how good this body is. I miss the reach of a Dx sensor, so I kept my D300 for that reason and also for a backup. As for the CF door I like it better than the one on the D300.
You only have 1* to risk. So live to the fullest :)

www.sambr.smugmug.com

#7 GixxerKitten

GixxerKitten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 September 2009 - 21:53

Two words: Virtual Horizon

Two more words: Love it
It's psychosomatic. I received the placebo.
http://www.nikon-digital.ca

#8 lwiley

lwiley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:00

A great camera.  My only real complaint is the less than 100% viewfinder.  But that is one negative against dozens of positives. 8)
Leroy

#9 afx

afx

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,418 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:17

My 2 :
Love the DR, then handling is perfect apart from the often mentioned flimsy CF card door.

The built in flash is great as a trigger. No need to lug around yet another gizmo for that or spend money on it. And occasionally it saves my butt when I am out with minimal gear and had no flash planned.

cheers
afx.
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
My latest book: The AfterShot Survival Guide  
sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad  Still no clue how to take decent pictures though, see afximages.com ;-(

#10 Amberglass

Amberglass

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationCanton, MA

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:51

Wished it had 100% field of view, but absolutely love it.  Great backup for my D3 and on days I don't want to lug the beast around.  CLS pop up trigger saves me the headache of pocket wizards for now.
I think that emotional content is an image's most important element, regardless of the photographic technique. Much of the work I see these days lacks the emotional impact to draw a reaction from viewers, or remain in their hearts.  Anne Geddes

#11 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts
  • LocationRijswijk, Netherlands.
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:58

This is by far the best digital camera i have owned.

#12 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 05 October 2009 - 17:00

This is currently the camera with the best balance between IQ, performance, features, build quality, size and price, there is simply no competition out there that delivers the same powerhouse package with all these aspects scoring at the same high pro level....

If you want a medium sized DSLR "machine gun" that will perform under the toughest light and environmental conditions the D700 is your ticket, you will be blown away for sure and limitations will be shifted considerably (but not disappear).

Class leading aspects:
- IQ at high ISO
- Tough magnesium build with environmental sealing
- Pro AF with 51 focus points
- Button and menu layout made for pro use
- Operational speed and performance (8fps)
- The best grip in the market (magnesium, sealed and can use D3 batteries)
- Auto-ISO (minimum shutter and maximum ISO)

Things that need improvement:
- CF slot door
- AF points with same wide spread as D300 (now too centralized)
- Better Auto-ISO button control
- Timer with mirror lockup

But this camera is not for everybody, to make the whole system work you need good FX lenses that are much bigger, heavier and a lot more expensive....
  • m-hermann likes this

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#13 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 05 October 2009 - 17:49

Actually, I don't mind the extra weight of the D3 in the least; and the grip and the D3 battery is already built-in; plus you have two cards with one to act as over-flow if you set it that way. You also get the full-screen viewfinder and it seems that the flash-mount can handle the heavier flash-guns without distorting and frying the Flash. (There have been reports of this happening on the D700.)

My choice was to go the extra mile to get the D3 and I rented a second D3 for the Safari and wore both of them simultaneously much of the time!

#14 RoFus

RoFus

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 19:26

- sensor cleaning comes in quite handy
- would like to see a 100% viewfinder
- the flimsy covers are a bit under-engineered
- would like to have split-prism focus screen option from Nikon (the D700 loves old glass, but old eyes do not really help much to focus them... neither does the focus help in the viewfinder...)

hemmm... forgot the most important. as a hobbiest I have no need to think about a new camera for quite some years now. not very smart from Nikon to put something like the D700 on the market...  >:D

#15 NuteShack

NuteShack

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 October 2009 - 19:49

best camera i've ever had, PERIOD...yup, a mini d3. even smaller would be better. no complaints ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

#16 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 05 October 2009 - 22:22

The D3's sensor (and the D700 for that matter) is coated with an indium tin oxide anti-static layer which works exceptionally well. Comparing better dust results between a non-coated D200 sensor and a D700 is pointless as a result, dust vibrator or not.

I have only had to wet clean my D3 sensor three times in the 18 months I've had it; the non-coated D2x used under the same conditions needed cleaning every two to three weeks. That in itself tells me that the coating really works exceptionally well and that for all intents and purposes the vibrator is not necessary with this sensor.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the durability potential of something that moves so fast that often anyway, and would suggest that this factor could be why Nikon didn't put this thing in their top-shelf pro camera. I'd expect that it will appear in the D4 after it's long term in-field durability has been proven by D700 owners (or not, as the case may be).

I've mentioned this before, but it is essential that only Eclipse 2 (or its direct equivalent) cleaning fluid be used with these indium tin oxide coated sensors as alcohol, Eclipse 1 and probably other earlier sensor cleaning fluids will remove this coating and render your sensor back to a dust-collector.

#17 wetfun

wetfun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 515 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay

Posted 06 October 2009 - 00:34

I started with a D200 and moved up to a D300, the image quality gain from a CCD to a CMOS was noticeable, when I traded up to a D700 the gain in image quality was earthshaking.

Take a look at DXO MARK

#18 fotomachi

fotomachi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:59

There is only one thing I don't like about the D700: the noisy shutter. The whole church can hear you when you take a photo from the interior. Try to do a 7 exposure bracketing for HDR... You are the guaranteed point of attention!

But this is the only really negative point I can find...  :D
::[ fotomachi.mx ]::

#19 sam_553817

sam_553817
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 23:01

Have had the d700 for two weeks now.  I've read a lot of people say they're impressed with the highlight range, but I've been more impressed with how much I can pull out of the shadows, easily 2 stops with no posterisation or noise - no way I could have done that with any of my previous dslrs.  Means I can shoot late in the day and just hold my highlights and be able to pull up the forground with realive impunity - not a complete replacement for grads, but pretty close.

I was a little bit dissapointed with the viewfinder, still isn't up to the size or quality of my fe2, and the f4 is even better than that, so we still have some room for improvement down the line there - 95% coverage is also a bit annoying but not a deal breaker by any stretch.

I'm shooting with an ancient 24mm f2.8 Nikkor-N Auto Ai'd, Zeiss ZF 35mm f2 distagon, 50mm f1.8 Af-d and 75-150mm series E.

Went for a wander through a local national park yesterday and shot these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Bufo55

Bufo55

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 17:52

I've owned the Nikon progression from D70 to D200 to D300 to D700.  Each was better, and I think I've hit a satisfactory plateau with the D700. 100% viewfinder would be nice, and if that came at the expense of the little flash, I vote for 100%.

::) What I would really like is a Nikon version of a Leica M9.  But with electronic silent shutter, electronic viewfinder, FX (12MP is enough, 24MP not required), metal housing, tiltable 920K LCD (with tilt hinge on LEFT side, not on bottom like the D5000) use with manual or AFS lenses (skip the screw-drive motor), and full HD1080 24p and 30p video capabilities, with a stereo miniplug jack to add an aftermarket xlr box (sorry, but video is my main bread and butter now - would really like to use my nikon and zeiss zf glass on a video camera designed for them). Great for backpacking and discreet PJ/street/set/event shoots too. I've had the shutter noise in the church experience too.  Under 700 grams and under $3,500. No prism, no mirror, no mechanical shutter, no flash.  Hopefully Nikon can swallow its pride and find a partner that knows something about video.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.