The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Voted 3 Stars (average) (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (11 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,166 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 15 May 2009 - 18:37

Please post your experiences with this lens here. This topic will be indexed on our Equipment pages.

Posted Image

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Bilbo

Bilbo

Chairman's Challenge Moderator, POTW Committee

• POTW Committee
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationUSA, Michigan, Northern Detroit
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 15 May 2009 - 20:53

I have this lens and I am VERY HAPPY with it.  IT took me a long time to find one.
I guess the demand exceeds the supply.

Glenn
Glenn Email:glenn@nikongear.com
http://www.uniquecustomphoto.com

"Don't argue with STUPID people, they will only bring you down to their level and win with experience"

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place."

#3 aroundomaha

aroundomaha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 13:19

I bought this lens after a lot of searching and waiting but wound up sending it back due to what I presume as a factory defect. There was no sharpness to any of my shots even when carefully using a tripod. So perhaps my 3 star rating isn't fair due to my sample being bad, but that put me on edge about going through the waiting process again to get another one. I'm not a Nikon bigot (at least I hope not) as I loved my Tokina 12-24mm f/4, but for the money was profoundly disappointed in this purchase.

Others have had wonderful experiences with this lens so I didn't rate it lower. Has every company on the planet thrown quality control out the window?

#4 Antoinette

Antoinette

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationHaarlem

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:21

Bough it right after it came on the Dutch market and hated it ever since. What a piece of junk! Have had 2 different copies and both where very disappointing where it came to sharpness ca and the first had focussing problems too. Tokina's service sucked big time too.
Say what you like
Do what you feel

#5 rbertalotto

rbertalotto
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 18:33

I just sold my 85mm F1.8 and my 35-70mm F2.8 and bought this 11-16mm Tokina. In a word..."Fantastic!" It is super sharp and very easy to live with. Very fast focus. No complaints what so ever. A "Best Buy" in my book

#6 addieleman

addieleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:42

Got one to replace the Sigma 10-20mm and Nikkor 12-24mm; both disappointed me somewhat, the Nikkor had very unsharp extreme corners at 12mm, even stopped down to f/8. The Tokina is very sharp in the center from f/2.8 onwards. Corners are unsharp at f/2.8 and improve steadily up to f/8 where they are fine. Contrast and color is excellent too and it's not very prone to flare and ghosting. Mechanically it seems excellent, zooming and focusing is smooth and well-damped.

Unfortunately I couldn't get my D300s to autofocus accurately even when applying AF fine-tune. I couldn't find a single setting suitable for the whole zoom range. Incidentally, I had the same problem with the Nikkor 12-24mm, had that lens checked without relief. I now focus manually with the green dot with the Tokina and that works fine even at f/2.8.
Best regards, Ad.

My home page

#7 Arnstein

Arnstein
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKiel, Germany
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:11

Maybe I was just lucky with my copy, but never had problems so far (except of flare when shooting into direct sun) with the Nikon D300s and Fuji S5. It is at 16mm as sharp as the AF-S Nikkor 17-55/2,8 at 17mm. I had the Tokina 12-24 before, which is much more soft in the corners (until f8). And the speed of f2,8 makes all the difference in available light. The built quality is very good, but of course not as perfect as the professional AF-S Nikkors. However, since Nikon don't offer a comparable fast lens for DX, it is the natural addition for a kit 17-55/2,8 and 70-200/2,8 :)

#8 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:28

I think very highly of this lens and if asked to describe it in one word, "fantastic" would come to mind.

I only have four DX-specific lens and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is one of the four(the other three being the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8,16-85mm VR and the 35mm f/1.8 ).   Despite its limited zoom range, this has got to be one of the best wide-angle zoom for a crop sensor.  

The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is the lens that comes closest to the performance of my Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 on FX but with the advantage of being able to use filters.  The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and my Zeiss lenses are my only non-Nikkor lenses.

By the way, the Tokina 11-16mm can also double as a "16mm f/2.8 prime lens" on an FX body.  I use it as such with my D700.   ;D

Edited by LGO, 09 August 2011 - 20:24 .

#9 gerhard2006

gerhard2006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:09

I love this lens. I just bought it last summer when on holidays. I was quite apprehensive about buying a DX wide angle because I am planning on buying the D700 replacement when it arrives as I miss all my MF wide angle primes I had with film. Ken Rockwell's site mentioned though that it is usable from 14.5 mm to 16mm on an FX body. This tipped the scales for me because the widest full frame lens I had was an old 18mm 3.5 Sigma. What I really missed was my 24mm lens on film. The widest I had was the 18-70 kit lens that came with my D70. It's a great lens but not wide enough. I agree with all the positive feed back on the previous posts. It's nice and sharp with great colour and contrast and has excellent bokeh when shot wide open at close range. I highly recommend it over the other competitors, even the Nikkors. It is the only 2.8 out there though, so it has no competition in the DX forums at this price point. I now have the 17-24mm equivalent lens for DX which I was missing. Regards, Gerry

#10 bkklein

bkklein
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSeoul, South Korea
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 27 February 2012 - 20:50

I've been happily using this lens for about a year. AF has always been fast and accurate. It's a pretty sharp and contrasty lens too, with lots of wide angle distortion. The lens is so wide I accidentally take pics with my feet at the bottom all the time. At f/2.8 the middle is sharp but the edges are soft up to f/4.

Colors are nice and saturated for landscapes. I'd recommend it for people curious to use it on DX. One day I'd love to get my hands on the Nikon 14-24!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.