#1 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,417 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 30 September 2006 - 23:43

Just showing a more traditional type of IR landscape shot with my Fuji S3 UVIR camera and the 17-35 Nikkor. Filtration by the R72. I selected this mostly for its nice "IR colours" and mood. The cold rain wouldn't show up but it sure made the currents in the ooze-loaded river even swifter  8)

It is in fact pretty easy to get a fair facsimile of the old "IR false-colour" look of the '60s and '70s with this combination.

Attached Images

• _ng_B0609250328.jpg

Bjørn

#2 Guest_antares_*

Guest_antares_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:01

Stunning!!
As I keep looking at these types of captures, its really pushing me to get
a camera for an IR conversion.
Just need to read more on IR captures.

#3 bobfriedman

bobfriedman

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,697 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:03

most impressive, nice work!
bob

www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

#4 phecksel

phecksel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationBelleville Michigan USA

Posted 01 October 2006 - 23:10

I really like this.
Wonder how it would work with both a shorter and longer shutter?  Thinking shorter to freeze the water, and longer to smooth the water even more.
Phil

D50 18-70 Sigma 70-300

#5 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,417 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 01 October 2006 - 23:41

It's already at 1/8 sec so that is pushing towards the lower limit for recognisable water. I had also come down to f/16 and 100 ISO  with the 17-35 and would have lost the remaining sharpness if I had gone any further. ND filters don't combine too well with IR. So there you are. Sometimes you have just to accept the exposure that is possible to get.
Bjørn

#6 Wilk

Wilk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:26

Once again Bjrn, another winner in my book.... this shot really has a "transported to a magical land" feel to it, with the pink foliage rimming the river forming a clear path for it, and what the water falls into almost looks like a dream I"ve had so many times.

Now I feel like a dork with my d7 IRmod  :O  But I totally love that thing.  I've got to have the freedom of hand holding to find my creative groove (to whatever extent that is possible... maybe a creative splinter?  ;D ).  But this does clearly show the amazing results from a clear filter over the sensor and using filters.

So, is the jury still out on this cam?  Just curious.

Keep 'em coming Bjrn, I'm always inspirered by other's peoples vision of IR work.

Steve
"Hold your Fire... Keep it Buring Bright"

http://www.digitalterrain.info - my gallery
http://www.sobe360.net - a pano site for south beach
http://www.traumasupport.org - My site for trauma survivors

#7 cyberean

cyberean

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:02

magical!
roman

#8 Wilk

Wilk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 14:18

Once again Bjrn, another winner in my book.... this shot really has a "transported to a magical land" feel to it, with the pink foliage rimming the river forming a clear path for it, and what the water falls into almost looks like a dream I"ve had so many times.

Now I feel like a dork with my d70 IRmod  :O  But I totally love that thing.  I've got to have the freedom of hand holding to find my creative groove (to whatever extent that is possible... maybe a creative splinter?  ;D ).  But this does clearly show the amazing results from a clear filter over the sensor and using filters.

So, is the jury still out on this cam?  Just curious.

Keep 'em coming Bjrn, I'm always inspirered by other's peoples vision of IR work.

Steve

"Hold your Fire... Keep it Buring Bright"

http://www.digitalterrain.info - my gallery
http://www.sobe360.net - a pano site for south beach
http://www.traumasupport.org - My site for trauma survivors

#9 charlie

charlie

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,149 posts
  • Locationlos angeles
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:07

fantastic shot Bjrn. each time i've looked at it i just get drawn into the picture. the colors of the trees/bushes and the colors of the glacier compliment each other very nicely.

were you set up in the water for this shot?

#10 Guest_HulaMike_*

Guest_HulaMike_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:27

The Emperor's New Clothes??

I sometimes wonder if you're toying with us Bjrn, seeing what we'll accept as fine art with your posts. I do see a nice juxtaposition between the more or less in focus blue glacier field and the oof forground but overall this image makes me dizzy. ::)

#11 Chris101

Chris101

Chris101

• Moderators
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:27

That DOES look like the old E4 process IR Ektachrome!  Especially the color of the plants, and the blue of the ... ice?  The glacier in the background is difficult to relate to, probably because we don't have glaciers around here.  But I like that feeling of being lost.

#12 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,417 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:06

Well, this was just a test shot, so what can you expect? "Fine art" needs more in-depth work than this, serendipity might work once in a while but not as the over-all solution :D.

The current was too swift for me to venture into the river and water at +2C degrees without my dry suit wouldn't be that tempting anyway (I've done underwater shots of  mating toads at +2C without dry suit but that was in a pond and the sun was shining). So I availed myself of the better solution and shot from a small footbridge instead.

The rain and long exposure enshroud everything in that "mystery" mood. The original picture in fact is surprisingly sharp, given the circumstances, but evidently that impression is lost in the web presentation. And yes, the colours are remniscent of that old IR Ektachrome film. I much prefer those hues to the ubiquitous bluish-vegetation scheme found today with digital IR white-balanced on grassland and using the channel-swap method..

IR is known to render water dark, almost black, so why is the river and glacial face not darker? This is largely due to the presence of silt and/or air bubbles in the river and the glacial ice. Below is a shot of the face of the glacier, shot with the 200 mm from the same position. Even in IR the glacial finger looks bright.

By the way, given the current pace of glacier melting, it won't be many more years to shoot these glacial fingers before they are gone. I now could se huge changes on many of the glaciers I visited last year in this region.

Attached Images

• _ng_B0609250320.jpg

Bjørn

#13 Marco

Marco

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationRijswijk, Netherlands.

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:23

Nice one Bjorn, i am waiting for my IR filter but it is out of stock ATM, i'll probably have a thing or two to ask when i start shooting so hope to meet you there :)
All the best  Marco.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users