The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Gray's Of Westminster (London)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this merchant (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this merchant

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

3. 3 Stars (average) (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (5 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

5. Voted 5 Stars (outstanding) (23 votes [74.19%])

Percentage of vote: 74.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,173 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:50

If you have used Gray's Of Westminster to purchase your equipment, please give them a rating by voting in our poll.

Let others know about your satisfaction with the merchant by posting a review of your experience with them in this thread. This thread will be indexed on our equipment pages.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:35

A very special dealer; Nikon only, and lots of it ;D new and used, mostly in minty condition - If you are ever in London take time off to visit their store, it's like visiting a museum where the 'artifacts' are for sale, very British. The best service in the business 8) Only place where I have seen the 6mm f/2.8  :O

#3 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 23 April 2009 - 13:15

Gray's of Westminster is utterly British, with all that this entails for the better or worse. Gentlemen-like to the finger tips, and quite helpful at times. I have dealt with them on several occasions despite their quirks such as not accepting credit cards online only by phone (rather impractical outside the UK I'd say). Their second-hand equipment list on their web site  is never up-to-date and most of the interesting items have been sold without the list reflecting this.
Bjørn

#4 Clactonian

Clactonian

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 362 posts
  • LocationEssex Sunshine Coast

Posted 23 April 2009 - 15:41

I wandered past only a couple of days ago, but fortunately they were shut, otherwise heaven only knows what I would have spent.
I bought my D2Xs and several second hand lenses from them since, and have been delighted with the service.
In these days of grey imports and dodgy second hand stock it's good to know of a store you can rely on. They may not be the cheapest but reliability is worth a few pounds.
Still trying.

#5 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationEindhoven NL

Posted 23 April 2009 - 17:05

So far I bought two very nice lenses from them, good service and quick next-day delivery to The Netherlands. Only for the second lens they asked me to call them for the CC details.

And I just noticed that they sent me two copies of their Gazette today...

#6 Mebyon K

Mebyon K

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 144 posts
  • LocationReading

Posted 23 April 2009 - 19:42

I have used them to buy two lenses over the last 12 months or so, not the cheapest, but very good patient service while I was trying to make up my mind, a 12 month guarantee and a genuine near mint 85mm f2 Ais complete with lenshood was worth the price I paid.

#7 Maury

Maury

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 19:59

And I just noticed that they sent me two copies of their Gazette today...

Hey, I've never received a Gazette from them...

First week in January '09 when the pound to euro was very excellent for me in France I bought a D700 and the 70-300vr lens from them, jeez I saved a chunk of hard earned cash...good quick service...everything arrived well packed, and the guy I talked with on the phone when ordering was very nice...

Next time I'm in London I'm gonna visit their store for sure...the photos of the store on their website, man, looks like a great place for nikon gear...

M

#8 Richard Peters

Richard Peters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 20:37

I got my 200-400 new from them and a second hand 28-70, excellent service both times. My friend has had everything from a lens cap to a 600 VR from them and also always gets nothing but first class service.

#9 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 23:58

I have bought a lot of lenses from Grays  the last 1 or 2 years , and the service is in top - could not be better. Always ready to help and an honest and fast delivery (but not cheap shipping - not to Denmark at least).

#10 averity

averity

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 693 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 17 May 2011 - 18:41

I bought the 400mm f2.8 VR II from Grays, I live in Spain, they offered to ship it but instead I went to pick it up, brilliant service and advice all round.

#11 Elsa Hoffmann

Elsa Hoffmann

The humble little lady from Cape Town

• Life Member
  • 7,952 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 17 May 2011 - 19:12

John Deakin - Dallas you know him probably - just bought all his new stuff from them - he told me about them and raved. this was before I saw this thread.
"I drifted into photography like one drifts into prostitution. First I did it to please myself, then I did it to please my friends, and eventually I did it for the money." Philippe Halsman

#12 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 17 May 2011 - 20:49

So many stuff bought from them, new and used.
The very best service, served by gentle, kind and knowledge people.
I always pay them a visit when in London.
Highly recommended.
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#13 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,969 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 May 2011 - 13:09

I would like to echo most of the positive thoughts from above. Excellent service although they can seem a bit snooty at times, but if you want something out of the ordinary that's where I would try first, also one of the few places in the UK that will offer a trade in!

Mike
Mike Gorman
My interview thread :- this link

#14 didiergm

didiergm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:28

In my opinion the best, by a long stretch shop for Nikon gear; Nice people, very welcoming the second-hand gear they sell is always in top condition (even the lowest rated) I bought virtually all my gear from them and will continue to do so.

What do you think of a shop, where you have not been for two years and the sales person greets you by a 'Ah you've brought in your D2Hs for repair, and by the way I was in your neck of the wood only last week ....'; It is more than simple service, this is the way they are.

Highly recommended

#15 Almass

Almass

JMJ

• Life Member
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:15

I do not like their petty and snobbish attitude.

Walked in and walked out immediately.
It's the picture not the pixels.

#16 a_c_skinner

a_c_skinner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:49

Interesting place to visit, good stock and helpful staff. They are not cheap. They will take trade in stuff, but again not generous. Some of their descriptions of lenses especially are hyperbolic. I've seen some lenses widely known to be real dogs (like the 35-105 AIS or the old 43-86) with some very complimentary descriptions on their www site. I've not bought mail order.

Andrew

#17 bobfriedman

bobfriedman

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,742 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:16

i would say a bit on the pricey based on the web site.
bob

www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

#18 john deakin

john deakin

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 242 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 July 2011 - 13:09

Hi everyone, my first post here on Nikongear, and as Elsa has mentioned me above I thought I would add my thoughts on Grays of Westminster. Having enjoyed first rate service from Outdoorphoto over the years I was hesitant in buying from anyone else, let alone from an overseas retailer. During a recent regular family visit to the UK I decided to to visit this Mecca of all things Nikon. I had heard and read so much about them, and have been a subscriber of their NikonUser magazine, so I kinda knew what I was in for, and I wasn't disappointed. The shop is small but perfectly old school British, beautifully laid out, and full of the most awesome gear, both new and used. The staff were welcoming, friendly and most knowledgeable and helpful. If it weren't for the fact I was with my sister in law I could have spent the whole day perusing all the tempting goods. I resisted buying whilst there, which is saying something coming from me I can tell you :).

Having sold all my gear due to an operation late last year, and not knowing if or when I would I would be fit enough to seriously shoot wildlife again, I was holding off in re equipping. About a month ago I decided to take the plunge back into the Nikon fold and contacted Grays by phone. They remembered who I was and even what gear I had discussed with them during my visit to the store. They had everything I wanted in stock when SA was void of most of the items, so I hit the order button and just hoped everything would be fine.

Grays kept me informed at every stage of the delivery process and were most efficient and helpful. The items arrived as promised, safely and securely packaged and only a few days late due to me requiring an SA personal import number, which was, in the end, a very simple process to obtain. I have since ordered a 135mm DC which arrived to me in SA within 4 days, again, no stock was available in SA. My experience of them is 100% and I will gladly do business with them in the future. I imported everything legally and paid all the SA duties.

Like ODP is in SA, they may not be the least expensive, however, again as is my experience with ODP, i am confident that should I encounter any problems I will get their full attention, help and support if required.

Regards, John

#19 davidpreutz

davidpreutz
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:05

A proper camera shop run in the way a camera shop ought to be - ie staffed by people who not only know what's in the box but how the contents work. They only sell Nikon and don't faff about tring to fob you off with kit you don't need.
It's a bit like going into an old apothecary's shop with wonderful glass fronted, mahogany display cabinets. Down stairs is the 'Aladdin's Cave' of used and historical kit. Their service is faultless and they are quite heavily involved with promoting Nikon via usergroups & Nikon clubs, putting on various talks & the like as well as publishing their own magazine.
Despite all this extra sales and aftersales activity, they are no more expensive than any of the faceless online boxshifters and fully deserve your patronage to keep them going.

I'm a professional advertising photographer and won't go anywhere else for my Nikon kit as I know I will get a full back up service. Try that with one of your High Street chains or online lot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.