The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Adorama

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this merchant (74 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this merchant

1. 1 Star (appalling) (1 votes [1.33%])

Percentage of vote: 1.33%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (1 votes [1.33%])

Percentage of vote: 1.33%

3. 3 Stars (average) (8 votes [10.67%])

Percentage of vote: 10.67%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (30 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (35 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:18

If you have used Adorama to purchase your equipment, please give them a rating by voting in our poll.

Let others know about your satisfaction with the merchant by posting a review of your experience with them in this thread. This thread will be indexed on our equipment pages.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Bilbo

Bilbo

Chairman's Challenge Moderator, POTW Committee

• POTW Committee
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationUSA, Michigan, Northern Detroit
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:44

Everything I have ordered there has been received in great shape
and just as I thought it should be.  I was happy with the speed of delivery
also

Glenn
Glenn Email:glenn@nikongear.com
http://www.uniquecustomphoto.com

"Don't argue with STUPID people, they will only bring you down to their level and win with experience"

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place."

#3 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 April 2009 - 13:00

I've ordered a couple of things from Adorama. They were slower than B&H and there was little to no communication. Everything came fine, but I'm spoiled by the service of B&H.
There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#4 Guest_Vivek_*

Guest_Vivek_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 14:58

I have bought from them only once.  It was a bargain of the lifetime for me.  ;D

#5 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 22 April 2009 - 16:20

Very close to B&H in products, price and service, their stock seems less full, again compared to B&H.
Have found some very hard to get things in this shop almost as good as KEH regarding this, so if you are on the hunt for something special it is worth to look here.

#6 hillsidekim

hillsidekim

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationHillside, Illinois U.S.A.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 16:25

No complaints and speedy service.  Sometimes you may find some bargains on their sales.
Kim
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

#7 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 22 April 2009 - 18:21

Adorama are my second choice if B & H doesn't have what I need.

If you order on-line be aware, that their web page listings often show something as being in stock when it isn't.

My experience has been that shipping is always prompt provided they actually have the goods in stock.

#8 Michael Kan

Michael Kan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 958 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 22 April 2009 - 19:37

They sometimes have better deals on ancillary stuff than other online vendors.  Check them out before you order elsewhere!
Happy shooting and best regards,

Michael

http://magnumexcursions.com

Nikon D4, D800E, D300S
Glass from 8mm to 800mm

#9 jerseysse

jerseysse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationThe Jersey Shore

Posted 22 April 2009 - 20:19

Very reputable with excellent customer service.  Certainly in the same class as B&H IMO. 
If you read their shipping policies, especially regarding Fridays and weekends, there are no disappointments.
Bill

#10 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:36

Adorama is OK. Slower and less professional than B&H, but OK.

Their used lens ratings are a little over-optimistic, so stick to
only the highest rankings such as LNIB.

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#11 Carolyn

Carolyn

Seeker

• Life Member
  • 4,836 posts
  • LocationUtah, Mexico and California

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:49

I actually order a lot from Adorama. Many times their prices are better than B&H, shipping may be a bit lower..... things like memory cards, external hard drives... I've always had fast delivery.
International Member

"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer it has chosen" Minor White

www.carolynguild.com

#12 DougJGreen

DougJGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 16:26

The one item I bought from them was a Mamiya RZ body that I got from them on an ebay auction.  They did a really lousy job packing it, and it got severely damaged in shipping.  They took it back and exchanged it for another one that was in slightly better condition, but shockingly, the packing was just as shoddy on the replacement item, but fortunately, despite rattling around loosely in the box during it's UPS trip across the U.S., it wasn't damaged on arrival.  Still, after that experience, I don't think I'd buy from them again.

#13 gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 23 April 2009 - 16:49

I've not bought camera gear from them, but I have bought a lot of accessories they had ad great prices.  Wireless remotes, bags, batteries, memory cards, backdrops, that kind of thing.

Not quite up to B&H standards, like was previously mentioned, but definitely trustworthy in my opinion.

Andrew

Nikon D300, D700, Df, D50(sold) and N90s
Nikkor 24/2.8, 50/1.8D, 24-85/3.5-4.5VR, 35-70/3.3-4.8, 55-200/4-5.6VR(sold), 80-200/2.8, 300/4(non AFS)

Tamron 17-50/2.8(sold), 90/2.8 1:1 macro, 70-300/4-5.6VC
SB-600, SB-22/26/28 speedlight

Olympus OM-D E-M5
Olympus 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 40-150/4-5.6

Mamiya C33 w/ 80/2.8, Voigtlander Brilliant, Zeiss Ikon Ikonta A 520, Kodak Signet 35, Graflex Speed Graphic

Fuji X10(sold), Fuji X-E1(sold), Fuji 18mm/35mm/55-200(all sold)

http://www.bestlightphoto.net
http://www.visualohio.com

http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com

#14 delesh

delesh
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 00:47

I have purchased from them many times and have always received excellent service.  When my son went to purchase a Gitzo tripod as a gift for me, the salesperson and a pro customer had what he termed was a very helpful discussion about the best choice, given my son's description of my kind of shooting.  He bought their consensus choice, and it was the right one. 

A year ago I rented a battery pack to shoot my niece's wedding.  However, I could not get to work because I did not understand that my SB800 had to have its own batteries to work.  Fortunately, I had plenty of AAs.  When I took it back, the rental person explained why it did not work and did not charge me for the rental.  I could not ask for more considerate service.

#15 wetfun

wetfun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 515 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:08

Great company, great customer service. I purchased a used lens, was exactly as represented but it was not as sharp as expected, no questions asked, took the lens back and promptly refunded the purchase price.

The company I work for does quite a bit of business with them (their other side: Leasurepro.com) and I find better prices through Amazon or directly from the Adorama web site than the "insider" price they have offered us.

#16 HelenOster

HelenOster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:59

I have purchased from them many times and have always received excellent service.  When my son went to purchase a Gitzo tripod as a gift for me, the salesperson and a pro customer had what he termed was a very helpful discussion about the best choice, given my son's description of my kind of shooting.  He bought their consensus choice, and it was the right one. 

A year ago I rented a battery pack to shoot my niece's wedding.  However, I could not get to work because I did not understand that my SB800 had to have its own batteries to work.  Fortunately, I had plenty of AAs.  When I took it back, the rental person explained why it did not work and did not charge me for the rental.  I could not ask for more considerate service.

Great company, great customer service. I purchased a used lens, was exactly as represented but it was not as sharp as expected, no questions asked, took the lens back and promptly refunded the purchase price.

Thank you for your feedback re shopping at Adorama., which is very much appreciated.
However, should you ever have a query or concern about an item from Adorama - or AdoramaPix - please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com

Helen Oster

helen@adorama.com
www.adorama.com

#17 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:00

Welcome Helen ;D always nice to hear that some shops actually monitor whats going on in the real life >:D

#18 HelenOster

HelenOster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 September 2009 - 17:49

Welcome Helen ;D always nice to hear that some shops actually monitor whats going on in the real life >:D

Thank you for the welcome - and I'm always delighted to hear directly from any customers with queries etc regarding Adorama.
Helen Oster

helen@adorama.com
www.adorama.com

#19 Omkara

Omkara

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 13:35

They have first class customer service. Occasionally they do misidentify lenses. I was looking to get a particular lens from them and I knew the serial number range that I wanted, so I asked what serial number the lens was. Turned out to be a K series when I wanted an AIS series. But, they do go out of their way to make sure you are satisfied. I will definitely order from them again and recommend them to anyone else.

#20 Shac

Shac

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 866 posts
  • LocationWhite Rock, BC

Posted 31 October 2009 - 15:04

Like others I've been very pleased with all my transactions with Adorama - fast service, items as advertised, etc. I use either them or B&H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.