The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

B&H Photovideo

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this merchant (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this merchant

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (14 votes [13.86%])

Percentage of vote: 13.86%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (87 votes [86.14%])

Percentage of vote: 86.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,171 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:09

If you have used B&H PhotoVideo to purchase your equipment, please give them a rating by voting in our poll.

Let others know about your satisfaction with the merchant by posting a review of your experience with them in this thread. This thread will be indexed on our equipment pages.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Michael Kan

Michael Kan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 958 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:11

Mecca for photographers.  A must visit location if you are in NY City.
Happy shooting and best regards,

Michael

http://magnumexcursions.com

Nikon D4, D800E, D300S
Glass from 8mm to 800mm

#3 Luke_Miller

Luke_Miller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRural Virginia

Posted 22 April 2009 - 14:09

I buy all my new equipment from B&H.  Highly recommend.

#4 Harrie Gerrits

Harrie Gerrits

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 60 posts
  • LocationKrimpen aan den IJssel

Posted 22 April 2009 - 14:40

Bought quite some Nikon equipment from B&H (when the exchange rate was in favor of the Euro / ).

Good service and fast delivery times.

Heaven on earth compared to .....

Regards,

Harrie "H" Gerrits

Usus magister est optimus

#5 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 22 April 2009 - 15:02

In my eyes the gold standard for online photo equipment. Fast delivery, reliable and upfront. Never had any problems with on many, many occasions.
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#6 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 22 April 2009 - 16:12

Only nit pick with these guys is that they sometimes ship in several boxes, and UPS charges a fee for tax handling pr. box :O
Otherwise perfect shop, but really strange pay - delivery 'system' in their store :-\
Mail order #1 in the world 8)

#7 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 22 April 2009 - 18:24

Top notch company.

Totally reliable and the first place that I go to for all equipment

#8 Michael Kan

Michael Kan

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 958 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 22 April 2009 - 18:57

Erik,

I believe their VP of Customer Relations in Stephen Schwarz.  Ask for him, or write him a note.  They always listen to their customers and do their best to help out in these matters. They drop ship from vairous vendors or locations therefore the multiple boxes, but they need to realize it costs you more to import.

Happy shooting and best regards,

Michael

http://magnumexcursions.com

Nikon D4, D800E, D300S
Glass from 8mm to 800mm

#9 jerseysse

jerseysse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationThe Jersey Shore

Posted 22 April 2009 - 20:33

An excellent place to purchase your photographic needs.  Their store set-up and their mail order system are second to none.  Their internet site is very easy to search and navigate, also.
Bill

#10 JM The Chicagoan

JM The Chicagoan

EX-Community Steward

• Life Member
  • 890 posts
  • LocationBirth-OakPark IL, Live-Chicago,IL

Posted 22 April 2009 - 20:50

Yes I have bought from B&H. I was very impressed by their depth of used goods and the decent prices of film.
When I ran across problems with a minor purchase of a used Nikon release I was taken care of in a (New York City) professional manner and ended up with a properly functioning and satisfying component.
The man I dealt with was Henry Posner who does what he says and is very adept at serving the needs of his customers even within the structure of the B&H sales rules.
Jeff
The Chicago Nikon Shooter

JM The Chicagoan
this link

#11 bobfriedman

bobfriedman

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,742 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 22:36

i exchanged the same lens three times with no questions asked..
bob

www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

#12 gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 23 April 2009 - 00:24

I don not use them exclusively, but I have to say that every time I needed something they had in stock, it was handled with teh utmost professionalism.

I would not hesitate to purchase anything they sell.

Andrew

Nikon D300, D700, Df, D50(sold) and N90s
Nikkor 24/2.8, 50/1.8D, 24-85/3.5-4.5VR, 35-70/3.3-4.8, 55-200/4-5.6VR(sold), 80-200/2.8, 300/4(non AFS)

Tamron 17-50/2.8(sold), 90/2.8 1:1 macro, 70-300/4-5.6VC
SB-600, SB-22/26/28 speedlight

Olympus OM-D E-M5
Olympus 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 40-150/4-5.6

Mamiya C33 w/ 80/2.8, Voigtlander Brilliant, Zeiss Ikon Ikonta A 520, Kodak Signet 35, Graflex Speed Graphic

Fuji X10(sold), Fuji X-E1(sold), Fuji 18mm/35mm/55-200(all sold)

http://www.bestlightphoto.net
http://www.visualohio.com

http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com

#13 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:33

I love B&H -- prompt and professional. Good shipping. Fair return policies.
Also I trust their ratings on used lenses and have bought several from them.

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#14 ThomasAdams

ThomasAdams

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 13:11

Simply the best in my book. been dealing them for all large and small purchases and have yet to have any issue. I am sure should one arise It will be resolved in a very quick and timely manner.

#15 aroundomaha

aroundomaha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 17:02

I've ordered from B&H over a period of years, both things that (by my measure) were expensive and routine. Both new and used gear. In every single case they have exceeded my expectations. The web site has all the features I love, ease of use, dependable reviews and flexability. The support is high whether pre-sale, during process and post sale. Looking for something hard to get? Sign up and they will dependably email you when it is available. Have an issue with an item and need to return it? Never a problem.

This isn't me being a fanboy, I just love great service when I find it and B&H delivers at a level not commonly seen these days. The prices are fair, shipping quick and support readily available. Not sure what else you could want.

#16 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 17:32

Then you should visit the store. The most automated, efficient place I've ever been to. They have a trolley system that brings the item to the floor for your inspection and then its sent to the cashier area. By the time you pay, its waiting for you. BTW, on returns they never, ever quibble. They examine the item and packaging and immediately issue the credit.

#17 JM The Chicagoan

JM The Chicagoan

EX-Community Steward

• Life Member
  • 890 posts
  • LocationBirth-OakPark IL, Live-Chicago,IL

Posted 10 June 2009 - 20:41

There is one thing that buyers should be aware of about B&H. Their policy is all charges are placed on your credit card AT THE TIME OF YOUR ORDER. Not a problem if all is in stock and being shipped but if the item is being drop shipped from a remote (manufactuerer or the like) you will be charged at the time of the order and if there is a delay or any reason to cancel the order you may be on the hook for intertest charges to the card company. If the charges stand over a pay period the card company has no sympathy and B&H sticks to their clearly stated policy.
But other than that I have never heard of anyone not being handled well and every attempt made to satisfy the customer.
Jeff
The Chicagoan
JM The Chicagoan
this link

#18 henryp

henryp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 23 June 2009 - 13:43

I believe their VP of Customer Relations in Stephen Schwarz.  Ask for him, or write him a note.

Steve's a great guy and has been with B&H almost from the start. He'll be pleased to know about this. He's a valued member of our marketing staff and regularly attends trade shows for us, but he is not a VP.

There is one thing that buyers should be aware of about B&H. Their policy is all charges are placed on your credit card AT THE TIME OF YOUR ORDER.

True, and we make sure customers know this. We often prevent customers from placing orders for merchandise we don't have in stock because we don't want your money until we're ready to complete the transaction. Any time a non-stock item is available for sale when it's placed in your shopping cart we tell you, "You will be charged upon placing your order."

I want to take a moment to thank everyone here for the many kind words posted about us. This is very gratifying and much appreciated.

#19 RKPhotog

RKPhotog

Grand Potentate

• Life Member
  • 2,014 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 June 2009 - 13:58

Mecca for photographers.  A must visit location if you are in NY City.

I use them all the time but be aware that if you go to the store on a Sunday afternoon, the customers can be three deep at counters. They are also closed Friday afternoon and Saturday in observance of the Jewish Sabath.
Bob
Bob

#20 stanjan0

stanjan0

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,600 posts
  • LocationSouthern Florida

Posted 23 June 2009 - 14:35

How can I add when the above superlative remarks said it all but, I'll try. B&H THE BEST.
"Posterity--you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it" John Quincy Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.