The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX EDII

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 Stars (average) (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (12 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,175 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:51

Have you used this lens? If so, please share your experiences with other members by replying to this thread. Please keep all comments on topic.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 15 May 2009 - 19:33

Wish I could vote multiple times. Then I would give it a 5 for optics (at the wide end) and a 1 for build quality (unless zero was also an option). Remarkably clear and sharp across the frame at the wide end, 18..24mm, especially given the price. Less impressive at the longer lengths, where the slowness is also troubling.

Mine came with the D40 as a kit, and was used once on the D90 because I had nothing wider than 20mm. I say once because I slipped on ice, landed on my camera bag, and this lens was busted. The other 9 or so lenses in the bag were all fine, but then they were made of metal; this is plastic, even the mount.

(I notice that the newer VR version of this lens drops the ED glass).
Camera (ˈkæ mə rə), n. Device for taking pictures in bright light
D7k and primes - on flickr

#3 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 20:38

This cheap lens is marvelous in the center on the wide end. So sharp for so little money. It is not so sharp in the edges, as in the center, but who could expect that ?

I have 2 - one for my "normal" back up camera = D40 and one for my IR converted D40, and this lens is also very fine for IR - hot spots very, very rare.

#4 Petteram

Petteram

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:17

Light and very sharp lens.
If it wasnt for the build quality (and especially the plastic mount which I hate)I would give it 5 stars.

Petter

#5 armando_m

armando_m

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,203 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:46

Sold my D40 but kept the lens, I like the minimum focusing distance, very light lens,
plastic construction, but, so what...

Regards,
Armando 

#6 tbelch

tbelch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, North Carolina, USA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 22:29

Lifeboat
D3100 + AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR.
Sharp and lovely lens at the 18mm end. 5.6 at the 55mm end what else can you say.

Attached Images

• LifeBoat.JPG

#7 DougB

DougB

Alive (and over 20)

• Life Member
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 24 January 2012 - 14:32

Great optics; lousy plastic body; cheap price - the first & last do it for me!
Regards
Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

#8 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,279 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 24 January 2012 - 21:14

I used 18-70/3.5-4.5, 17-55/2.8 and the lens on D40. 18-70 showed the least CA, and this 18-55 was the sharpest. 17-55/2.8 tuened out to be a factory defect which Nikon couldn't address. I returned it. :(

All in all, I could say 18-55GII (non VR) was a venerable lens. It was the most resistant to flare among the three I named above, too, and I thought the dedicated hood can be ignored.

According to the test by photozone.de, the VR version seems to perform better.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#9 Steinar

Steinar

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:23

Akira, yes, you are not alone here finding that this sample is the best in the flare/ghosting area - I saw a comparison about a year ago at the net, so this is a very interesting finding.

I use this lens for my Infrared on my IR converted Nikon D40 - and it is very good - use it normally at the wide - 18 mm - side, but stopped a lot down, because of the AF-problems with IR (my D40 is not corrected for IR, but stopped down to f. 9 or smaller solve the problem very much)

#10 danielm46

danielm46

• Subscriber
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 18:21

The Nikon AF-S 18-55mm (II version in that case) has been truly the most efficient companion lens for my previous Nikon D40. In term of complementary handling the AF-S 18-55mm fits the size and balance alongside with the body of the camera. In term of use the variable focal lengths between 28-82mm equivalent in 35mm film format fits most of the street and casual situations although further in wide or long focal length would be always appreciated as for a larger maximum aperture.

The AF-S 18-55mm II delivers very good and crisp pictures with minimal distortion at its extreme settings. Lateral color is also well contended. Combined with the Nikon D40, the lens performs well in every aspect of picture taking. Photographers on travel should appreciated the discretion of the model and the possibility of using small 52mm filter accessories as it was for most traditional manual focus Nikon lenses. The AF-S 18-55mm II do a good work within close focusing subjects (at pre-macro distances).

At the end, it is surely the best price-quality ratio available in DX format lens line-up.
F, F2A, F3, F4S, F5 ... I have loved them all and today I am still a Nikon user for the best and the ...
Nikon has a special photo signature that has and still match to my vision of the world even today.

http://photodanielm.blogspot.ca

#11 Tersn

Tersn

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:26

I agree on most of the above about both the optical and build quality of this lens.

Together with a light DSLR like the D40, I have found the lens a good choice when going on hard hikes in the mountains (or whenever one wants to travel light). Useable even with a D7000.
Some sample snaps:

snøh4A.jpg

hiking.jpg

ByKongsvoldA.jpg
  • Wannabe likes this

tersn
(Terje)

On flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsnd09/

#12 andavita

andavita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 12 July 2012 - 21:11

5 stars based on "what it does : what it costs" ratio

My first one came with a broken bayonet mount. I guess it can break easily. But i paid $90 for the VR version so it feels OK if it gets broken by hard use (as long as it doesn't spoil an important day).

Uploaded pic is a crop from a shot taken with the camera held mid thigh as i walk so the subjects are not aware i am shooting. I rely on the auto focus and VR to do their job.

This was in India and we were walking all day in the heat so my D90 and two Plastic Lens (other is the 50-200VR DX) are great because they are so light to carry. Not as wonderful as my 20mmD2.8AF might have been (i would normally use it for this kind of thing) but I still really enjoy looking at the scene this cheapie delivered

Its about to embark on a motorcycle trip across Europe with a new D7K - I look forward to it but will put one of my bullet proof AiS lenses in the bag just in case........
Ladies.jpg

#13 ozone

ozone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 December 2013 - 14:59

I have the VR version.

VERY sharp and contrasty from 18 to 24mm! Just 'good' beyond.

I prefer the 18-70mm which is a tad sharper and faster, and goes to 70mm.

But the VR is very nice to have on slow-sync flash shots in the city at night :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.