The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Sigma APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (7 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (29 votes [80.56%])

Percentage of vote: 80.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,173 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 15 January 2009 - 13:16

Have you used this lens? If so, please let others know of your experiences with the item by replying to this thread. Please keep all comments on topic.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 migtex

migtex

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCartaxo, Portugal (+ Mozambique and Cape Verde)

Posted 16 January 2009 - 00:06

I have this Lens. bought it when she come out 2 years ago.
I must say I don't used as much as I want, but it's really tack sharp and AF is fast, sometimes I use it for sports as well (motor bikes) or portrait. In Macro provides some "safe" distance for not disturbing the subjects.
It's sharp at 2.8 but only goes to 16, for a macro 1:1 lens it could be a minus. Oh on a FX body it shines!
I own a Nikkor AIs 55 2.8 Micro as well and with this Sigma 150 I do feel I got all covered. Mix and match with DX and FX bodies gives plenty of latitude (55- 80- 150- 210).
I do recommend it of course.
Too many Nikons F's to list... less Nikon D's.... and some Nikon S's  and 2 Bessas R2S NHS!

#3 Rudolf

Rudolf
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:45

Extremely sharp, warm with a little bit magenta colour (may be Canon-style  ;D), is my light substitute of Nikkor 200/2VR for portrait. I use it rarely for macro.

http://www.nikonland...e=post&id=13500

I have bought three years ago with my D2x.
Now it works fine with D3 and D3x.

In the while Nikon give us a new 180/2.8 AF-S VR, for me is an excellent lens.

Nikonland, the home of Italians Nikonists

#4 Rudolf

Rudolf
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:23

Is a close and mid distance tele but in my experience can be used for all purposes.

Strangely, for a macro lens, not so good closed over F11, diffraction effects are evident.

In terms of strength, the Sigma 150/2.8 is built in the EX level, the upper class of Sigma models (like 120-300/2.8 and 500/4.5).

;-)

Nikonland, the home of Italians Nikonists

#5 Gene51

Gene51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:06

I've used this lens for really close up macro, hand-held, and I can attest to its fast focusing - I am not the steadiest at 4" from a moving subject. I have also used it with great results at HS lacrosse games. It doesn't get any sharper at F2.8 through F11. Haven't really used it much at F16. Only negative I have come up with in my use of this lens is the bokeh, which has been described as being somewhat "nervous" at times - it could be a little smoother. Also, but this is a Sigma trait, the HSM motor and focusing is not exactly like Nikon's. Regardless of what the literature says, you do not have full-time manual focusing. You can always grab the focus ring, but if you are in any AF mode, the motor will try to focus in spite of your best efforts to take control. I am very happy with it, and I have taken many excellent shots with it. Highly recommended.

#6 Gene51

Gene51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 19:14

FWIW Ed, my experience with Sigma has been good, at least as far as its service is concerned. I purchased a used 10-20mm and a 50-500mm. To the best of my knowledge, the 50-500 was at least 7 yrs old, with a very low serial number. I happened to fall on the ice while carrying it, mounted on a monopod. Initially I thought that all I did was break the tripod collar, so I replaced it. pictures were fine. A year later I started noticing it had some difficulty focusing to infinity automatically. Brought it into the local Sigma repair facility, they replaced a number of parts, including the front and rear barrels, some internal components, etc, while I waited. I used it for a few days, but noticed that the focusing was a little noisy, so I took it back - they acknowledged a problem, indicated they needed to order a part. A couple of days later they called, asked me to bring in the lens, replaced the part overnight and shipped back the lens to me. I couldn't ask for better or faster service.

The 10-20mm I purchased with a known problem. Apparently either the owner knocked it around or it cam from the factory with the now legendary misalignment of optical elements. In any case, I purchased it on the condition that the lens be repaired. The owner sent it out, 7 days later it arrived in perfect, better than new condition.

I will say that when it comes to build quality and ability to take abuse, Nikon's pro gear is exceptional, which is why if you run a rental shop it is a good bet. I don't. I just take pictures. I am also very careful with my gear, so whether or not a rental shop endorses the product makes no difference to me. They have no control over how their gear is used or abused.

I am concerned about the build quality of the 150 macro, however. I have seen how that lens is held together - 3 screws to hold the two halves. I know that if I drop it, its over. I will try my best not to and enjoy taking pics with it in the meantime.

#7 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 September 2009 - 20:53

I've bought and thoroughly tested it against the micro Nikkor 105/2.8 VR.
In short: a little sharper and cheaper than the Nikkor, fast and sure focus :) I only miss VR :(
You can find more detailed information and sample images via my signature.

Thomas (moderator and lens-tester at Camera Labs)
All my lens reviews, My Photography Blog, My photos

#8 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:29

Edited by ed, 11 January 2012 - 23:43 .

#9 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 September 2009 - 14:16

Yeah. Might be that the satisfaction with the micro-Nikkor is a bit marred by focus probs. I had occasions where the focus was simply wrong - but only so much that you could see it afterwards on the screen. It seems to be better now on my D300 (before was on a D80) but still I would rely more on the AF from the Sigma than from the Nikkor.
Plus you have to keep in mind that my review was strictly DX only: I have no idea how performance outside the DX image circle is :-\

Thomas (moderator and lens-tester at Camera Labs)
All my lens reviews, My Photography Blog, My photos

#10 OldUncleMe

OldUncleMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 October 2009 - 16:52

I love to shoot handheld macro (Micro) up to 1:1 in natural light.
Frequently I shoot reptiles and amphibians, and I go to a lot of
shows and zoos, hoping to view more private collections in the
future.

Quite often my lens of choice is the Sigma 150/2.8 Macro lens.
I did a lot of research before buying, checking opinion and various
published and posted tests.  I think it measures up well.  I have
seen the slightly magenta / red warmth, sometimes even a bit
yellow color balance.  I don't use AF very often shooting hand-
held closeup because I tend to sway a bit in-out or side-side. 
Instead I compose and focus then wait for the shot, taking
bursts of 2-5 shots depending on how difficult the conditions. I
have gotten some really great shots this way.  Typical apertures
are 2.8 to 5.6, usually on the fast end of the scale though.

For setup-shots, mounted on a tripod, 5.6 to 8.0 are typically the
sharpest because I begin to see the effects of diffraction at 11
and beyond that it's fairly evident.

Balance on the D200 was good, and using a medium weight monopod
aided handholding steadiness even collapsed and used as a handle /
dampener.  The additional weight of the D3 allows even steadier use,
and with the dampener I have shot tack sharp shots as slow as 1/8"!
Doesn't happen that often, but it amazes me nonetheless.  It's also
cool to find a living subject that will pose still that long.

My copy of the lens had a 1/8" metal flake visible between the elements
when it was brand new, but has fallen to the side internally and not been
a problem, so I didn't send it in for repair (my theory is that the best work
is done at the factory, when they get it right, and repair....) and this
sample tested out pretty sharp.

/..
"Facilis est Descensus Averni"      Virgil
"Sapere aude"      Quintus Horatius Flaccus
"What hump?"      Igor

#11 helioer

helioer

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 674 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:43

I got the new OS version today. Sharp, well built and the new barrel finish feels way better than the one on older EX Sigmas, probably collects less dust than the old "crinkle paint" - time will tell. Tripod foot could be better. I have an Arca compatible plate attached to it.

Edited by helioer, 18 April 2013 - 18:52 .

• yunfat likes this

Erkki

D3s, D3, D200, D70
FX: Nikon 14-24/2.8G, 24-70/2.8G, 28/1.8G, 70-200/2.8G VR, 300/2.8G VR, 60/2.8D+105/2.8D micro, 85/1.4D, 16/2.8D, 50/1.4G, 500/8 reflex C, Sigma 8/3.5 EX, 12-24 EX, 150/2.8 OS EX...
TC: TC-14 E II, TC-17 E II, TC-20 E III
DX: 10.5/2.8, 18-70, 18-200
4*SB800's, R1C1 kit with 3*SB-R200, YN-622 kit (TX+4*RC)...

#12 rosko

rosko

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 313 posts
  • Locationfrance/UK
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 April 2013 - 21:46

I make most of my macro-work with this excellent lens since I bought it. I used to do it before with my old AF micro-Nikkor 60mm f2.8 which was very sharp too, easier to handle, but too short for shy subjects.

Lightweight regarding its focal lenght.

I enjoy it and I use the autofocus to take distant subjects (proxi} and also flying insects.

For very close work, I turn the AF off. This function is even annoying when you want to take accurate area.

Very useful as medium telelens if you keep in mind that it's preferable using a mono or tripod.

I never heard about disappointed users of this lens.

Francis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.