Photo
- - - - -

Sigma APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:47

Have you used this lens? If so, please share your experience with other members by replying to this thread. Please keep all comments on topic.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:42

I had hoped that someone else would step up to the plate to comment about this lens, if only to get a different perspective.

I have posted my experience elsewhere (December 08 in "Lenses for Nikons") and I encourage people to read that post.

I think it is very difficult to give an overall rating for this lens as the quality from Sigma is so variable -- you can get one that is spectacular or one that does not focus at all, which is outrageous for something aimed at the pro sports market at about USD2500 at B&H.

The good side is that there is nothing similar by any other maker. If you need 300m F2.8 zoom, then it is the only game in town. Add a teleconverter ( I use a 1.4 Kenko) and with the crop factor you have the equivalent angle of view of a 600 F4 at a quarter of the price.

Do not under any circumstances buy this thing without having unlimited exchange priviliges as you may well have to use them. This is not a candidate for mail order, just go to your very friendly local store and be frank.

I think the optical formula has been the same for at least 6 years, other than the addition of "digital coatings" in the latest DG version. What has changed has been firstly the beefed up tripod collar which is removeable and works well, and the DG coatings plus some external cosmetics.

Web comments are quite variable and Fred Miranda's site has quite a few, but mostly for the Canon mount. They vary from spectacular to crap with repeated comments about the AF motor failing. There have been some comments about lack of contrast. My experience with three lenses has been that with two of them the contrast appeared quite good, but the third and my keeper is very good.

I had the opportunity to do an indirect comparison with the Nikon 500 P and I like the Sigma better. I know a professional landscape photographer who shot Eilean Donan Castle in Scotland on Velvia with an F5 and a 500P. My shot using a D300 and the Sigma, when printed using Qimage on a Z3100 at 16x24 (the same size) comes out sharper with more detail. This is probably an unfair comparison but bottom line it is the print that counts. I should add that this was with my second copy, the loaner lens, not my third the keeper.

It is heavy at 6lbs, but that is to be expected for F2.8. It is not a lens to hand hold for very long. The external coating is soft and marks easily. OOF areas show up as sharp multiple images -- not very attractive. Focussing manually is very fast and I suspect that this may have something to do with the AF failures.

Using AF from near to far focus ends up with a solid clunk from the lens and some visible vibration. There is a lot of mass moving inside this thing and perhaps the stops are inadequate. Anyway my first copy failed out of the box, as did three others I know of. The tech admitted that the whole batch had a problem and I had to wait for a brand new batch to be made. Previous AF problems seemed to be mount specific, with Nikons being more prone to faults than Canons, but this latest problem was not brand specific.

Bottom line is that I really like the one I have but would find it difficult to recommend the lens without the exchange priviliges mentioned earlier.

It seems to have a home amongst sports photographers who need the zoom and the wide aperture. I use it for shooting performances in the low light conditions of theatres and church choirs for which it works very well.

To gauge my comments, normally I use a D300 with some of Nikon's best -- 10.5, 85 F1.4, 14-24, 24-70, 80-200, but for serious stuff I use my RZ.

#3 Aqualung

Aqualung

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 703 posts
  • LocationBoston
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 02 April 2009 - 16:43

I'll add to the above comments from a sports shooter perspective.  I couldn't afford/justify the Nikon 300f2.8, but I definitely needed more reach for my daughter's field sports (LAX, field hockey mainly).

Several other sports shooters have this lens and I lucked into a very good used copy (DG) w/ the Siggy TC1.4 & TC2.0.  I find it odd that Sigma doesn't offer a TC1.7.

If you have an opportunity to purchase the early release (pre-DG) then make sure you get the updated lens foot (TS-41, ~US$135); the first rendition was too weak for this lens.

I have been very pleased w/ the lens on my D300.  The only thing I have to adjust to is the zoom action is the reverse of Nikon's.  But, having the flexibility of the zoom is a huge plus.  I'm surprised Nikon hasn't entered this niche in the marketplace. 

It is heavy, I have mine on a Bogen/Manfrotto 680B with Bogen/Manfrotto 234RC Swivel/Tilt Head for Monopods.

Ultimately, the Nikon 300f2.8 IQ is superior to the Siggy....but I'm happy w/ mine.

Chris

Here's an example of the Siggy w/ TC1.4...420mm FL
Posted Image
Chris

#4 anabasis

anabasis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouthold, NY

Posted 06 April 2009 - 16:42

I've had good luck with my copy of this lens.  I have a fairly early S/N of the original incarnation of this lens (no DG coatings, smaller tripod foot).  The biggest complaint for me is that the zoom ring is very stiff.  Also, be aware that this is a parafocal zoom, which means that the focus will change when you change the focal length, so be sure to zoom then focus as if you zoom after getting focus locked, your image will immediately go out of focus.  There is no filter slot, and if you want filters (105mm front thread), you had best order them directly from Sigma as it is a bit tough to find filters of that size.

The small foot isn't the best but I have used it effectively with a monopod.

I have no issue with the sharpness or BOKEH from my lens, and both are quite nice for me.  I also have the 1.4x Sigma Tc which works great and is a really nice 420 f4 lens.  The contrast isn't up to the 300 Nikkor primes, but this is a zoom, so it isn't exactly a direct comparison.

I have no focus motor issues and the AF works quite well for me on all of my Nikon AF bodies.  HSM isn't quite as fast as AFS, but then again, it's a lot of glass to move and focuses fast enough for then field sports I use it for.

JCA

#5 FoveonRules

FoveonRules

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2010 - 14:35

I owned a Sigma 120 -300mm about 4 or 5 years ago.  At first I was happy with it.  I used it to photograph birds, often flying.  I got lots of keepers and the IQ was good.  Then one day I layed the lens down on something about 18 inches off the floor (in this case a heavily padded thick carpet.  Well, the lens fell onto that thick and padded carpet.  I thought, no big deal as I've dropped Nikkors farther and harder than this over the years with no problem.  But, this was no Nikkor!  Some of the lens optical elements broke on the inside, and the zooming was affected too. 

Overall, if you handle this lens like a raw egg, you may like it.  But watch don't let it drop, even a few inches onto a padded surface or it will be ruined.

#6 simato73

simato73

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationBollington, Cheshire

Posted 21 November 2010 - 17:45

I have one, in the pre-DG incarnation. I also bought the newer, sturdier tripod collar, which is definitely an improvement.

I bought it used for $1500 and it performs well, although not having ever tried any Nikkor supertele lenses, I don't know how good (better) things could be.
I would not be able to justify anything more expensive anyway...

I have been satisfied with AF speed and accuracy. Whenever I did not get what I was hoping for, I am pretty sure it was due to insufficient skill from the user.
When everything goes according to plan, the parts in focus are sharp and the OOF ones are rendered in a pleasing way, as long as the lens is stopped at least to f/4.
At f/2.8 images can be usable, but much softer - at least for my sample.
Added: as noted above, also in my case the zoom ring is a bit stiff. This is not a problem in normal temperatures, but it becomes really a problem near freezing or below. I guess the ring could do with a different grease.

I like the performance with Sigma's dedicated 1.4X EX TC. Everything performs virtually as without a TC.
The performance with Sigma's dedicated 2X EX TC is disappointing under all respects. I do still use it but I really wish I could have something else - no I'm not buying a longer lens, I just cannot justify the expense.

My disappointment with the 2X EX TC leads me to the following question: does anybody know if Nikon's TC-20E III can be mounted on the Sigma 120-300?
I read that the TC-20E III is excellent (in fact it costs a lot!).
Unfortunately Nikon's modern TC's can only be mounted on AF-I or AF-S lenses - there is something like some metal tab that prevents them being used on other Nikkors.
I am wondering, given that Sigma's HSM is similar to Nikons AF-S, if the teleconverter therefore could be mounted on the 120-300.

I would really be interested to know if it is possible, and in that case how does the combo perform.

Simone

#7 RichDay

RichDay

• Life Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 21:38

I've recently acquired this lens for use on my D300s, it's a recent DG version. I also have the Sigma 1.4x and 2x TC's. I've only used it for bird and wildlife photos at the moment and I'm finding the size and weight quite a challenge!  ;)

Having been used to handholding my 70-300VR, I'm definitely missing the lack of VR, but I'm now becoming much more familiar with my monopod and tripod! But I will definitely be trying the recently announced updated version with OS when it arrives.

I had considered the Nikon 300 f4 prime, but I've had a 300 prime in the past and I often preferred to use a 70-300 zoom for much of my shooting despite the quite large drop in IQ. The choice of the Sigma was based upon my hope of combining the best of both worlds, so far I've been pretty impressed with the lens, including use with the 1.4x TC. I haven't done enough with the 2x as yet to make any meaningful comments.

Here's a crop from a shot at 120mm/f4.0 - Link to image at 100%

Posted Image

Here's a shot with the 1.4x TC, 420mm/f5.6 - Link to full size image

Posted Image

#8 Viperdoc

Viperdoc

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 October 2011 - 15:14

I've recently purchased one along with the 1.4TC, and it is great for sports using a D3S. Even with the TC, autofocus and tracking seem fast enough to cover night football and daytime soccer. It appears sharpest at around F8 or so, so again not too surprising, and there does not appear to be a lot of vignetting or CA, but again this is from sports shots and not wildlife or scenics, which I think are more demanding.

It is heavy and bulky, but no surprise there, either. It appears well made and solid. There is not any noticeable backlash, binding, or slop in the focus or zoom mechanisms. It is not as smooth as the focus helical on any Leica lens. Time will regarding the quality of construction, but I think sports photograpy can be rough on lenses, laying the camera and body on the grass or dirt, carrying it around by the lens mounted on a monopod, etc.

Overall, it is the only lens with this unique range and speed. I would consider the Nikon 200-400 F4 zoom as a possible alternative, but it is double the price, although likely even better in terms of manufacturing quality and image quality. A head to head comparison would be interesting. So far I'm happy with the quality of manufacture, ease of use, and image quality as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.