The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

3. 3 Stars (average) (1 votes [4.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (1 votes [4.00%])

5. Voted 5 Stars (outstanding) (22 votes [88.00%])

Percentage of vote: 88.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:23

Have you used this lens? If so, please share your experiences with other members by replying to this thread. Please keep all comments on topic.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 dgillilan

dgillilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:40

Hello to all, :)
I have just recently acquired this lens, and I am very, very pleased with the images and IQ (image quality and sharpness and colors) that I am getting with my D700 and my Sigma.  I am impressed with the build of the lens, the stoutness, I like the petal style hood, I like the end cap also(others have dissed it), and I like the case, with its "hole" in one end to situate the lens mount end. I'm extremely happy with the autofocus ability and speed, I'm just really pleased with this lens. The weight does not bother me at all, it is heavier than many of the other 50mm prime offerings.
I am pleased with the wide open performance, I am getting very sharp images, sharper than those same shots with my Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF lens(now on its way to KEH for selling). I like the colors out of the lens and the autofocus seems fast and accurate so far in my testing.
I am very glad that I chose this lens, I had considered the newer G Nikon offering, but I'm very glad to have obtained this Sigma. I could not be happier.
I also found that the 50mm is not entirely accurate for the Sigma, as I had read, it is more like 47mm FL.
I posted just a few images and the crops of the area around my focus point, and of course I zoomed in with Nikon Capture NX2  on the NEFs to see the sharpness, and to my eyes, the Sigma was sharper at 1.4 than my older Nikon at f1.8. I'm really pleased. These images were in complete candle light and the AF on the Sigma(as well as the f1.8 Nikon), had no issues with focus, a surprise to me, to be honest, for both.
I do highly recommend the new Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM EX DG lens !  ;D :)
Thank you,
Debra Gillilan
"test" images located here, with shooting data posted beneath ea image after you click the image:
http://images.nikoni...y.php?cat=10130
I Love my D700 and Nikon 24mm PCE lens, Nikon 14-24mm and 24-70mm Lenses are Awesome and Very pleased that I purchased those also. Enjoy this site very much.

#3 arthurking83

arthurking83

A royal pain in the ass

• Life Member
  • 946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 22 January 2009 - 21:58

Ditto!.... what Debra said, but on a D300.

I preferred the bokeh on the Sigma over the Nikon 50mm G, sharpness/contrast seemed only a little better on the Sigma(at f/1.4) and I don't think enough to warrant paying more for the Sigma.

It was the smoother OOF rendition, and thus overall nicer quality of the resultant image, that compelled me to pay a couple of hundred dollars more for the Sigma.

As for the overly exaggerated size of the Sigma.. I prefer it to the smaller sized lenses.

#4 Nalle

Nalle
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 06 February 2009 - 13:49

Hello to all, :)
I have just recently acquired this lens, and I am very, very pleased with the images and IQ (image quality and sharpness and colors) that I am getting with my D700 and my Sigma.  I am impressed with the build of the lens, the stoutness, I like the petal style hood, I like the end cap also(others have dissed it), and I like the case, with its "hole" in one end to situate the lens mount end. I'm extremely happy with the autofocus ability and speed, I'm just really pleased with this lens. The weight does not bother me at all, it is heavier than many of the other 50mm prime offerings.
I am pleased with the wide open performance, I am getting very sharp images, sharper than those same shots with my Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF lens(now on its way to KEH for selling). I like the colors out of the lens and the autofocus seems fast and accurate so far in my testing.
I am very glad that I chose this lens, I had considered the newer G Nikon offering, but I'm very glad to have obtained this Sigma. I could not be happier.
I do highly recommend the new Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM EX DG lens !   ;D :)
Thank you,
Debra Gillilan

I agree with Debra ... Sigma is fantastic ... but most people do not understand it ...they are buying new Nikkor 50/1.4G but do not find out the options ... the new Nikkor 50 is a very good lens, but Sigma has a very special feeling that the 50/1.4G Nikkor lens does not have ... the weight balance is very good on a D300/D700 body with the Sigma. Positive: Auto Focus is faster on the Sigma than the Nikkor 50/1.4G lens.
Sigman is my standard lens, I also have 70-200VR ... but Sigma is mostly on my D700 body:)

#5 N0YZE

N0YZE
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 16:58

I'm loving this lens and find that it's on my camera more than my Nikkor 18-200 lately. I find the photos sharp and the bokeh phenomenal.

One thing I did notice however is that after removing the UV filter (put on within 5 seconds of it being out of the box), my photos were much sharper. Just something to try if you have a UV filter on yours and not overly impressed.

#6 dgillilan

dgillilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 13 February 2009 - 23:46

Thanks Noyze, I did run a lot of images through my new Sigma minus the filter, right after I got it. I have not noticed any degradation but perhaps my filter is not the same as yours. I have a Hoya HMC Super(I think that means super multi coated for flare and light passage up to 99.7% I think) and it seems to do well.
I also am very pleased with my Sigma, focusing is as fast as my AFS lenses with a D700. I like having my 50 back(due to D700), I had used a Nikon AF 50mm 1.8 lens and plan to sell it now.
Thank you, Debra :)
I Love my D700 and Nikon 24mm PCE lens, Nikon 14-24mm and 24-70mm Lenses are Awesome and Very pleased that I purchased those also. Enjoy this site very much.

#7 dgillilan

dgillilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:00

Bob,
You are correct, I use my filter to protect the lens, and I do always have the hood on it, and I do try to remember to remove my UV filter while shooting on a tripod or whilst shooting something really important and taking care to handle the body+lens carefully. Once I was not so careful and had a DSLR and a Nikon 60mm macro lens mounted on a tabletop tripod situated on a concrete sidewalk to shoot a flower upclose, and you guessed it, the whole gizmo tilted over, the lens hit the concrete ever so slightly as I grabbed it, and only placed a mark on the side of the lens(not the glass thank goodness) near the filter threads but if I had placed my filter on it, the mark would have been just on the filter and not my lens, that got marked up.  It taught me to be more careful, thanks,
Debra

#8 Jesse

Jesse

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 710 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 18 February 2009 - 14:41

I love this lens.  I have had it for almost a year and I doubt I have had it off my D300 for more than a day or two tops.
The bokeh is lovely and the the lens is tack sharp. (at least mine is.)  I have had no wear down of the outside coating as some people have experienced. 

This is the perfect lens for the DX in my opinion.

"....how we survive, is what makes us who we are."

My Website - http://www.jesseascher.com/
My Photography - http://jascher.smugmug.com/

#9 BourbonCowboy

BourbonCowboy

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLA (Lower Arkansas)

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:48

I bought this lens a few months ago, and to my dismay, I noticed that it had a slight front-focusing problem.  I tried to fine-tune it with my D700, but I couldn't get sharps pics.  After calling Sigma to get warranty service info, I packed it up and shipped it to Sigma (NY), and waited.  I received an email from Sigma on June 18, confirming receipt of the package.  Yesterday, July 21, I received my lens - 33 days later. 

I put the lens on my D700 and was instantly amazed.  The lens is unbelievably sharp (wide open) with some of the smoothest bokeh I've ever seen.  Colors seem to jump off the screen, and focusing is almost instant.  The lens delivers a "3-D" effect that I've found in very few lenses.  I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

I knew when I bought the lens that there was a chance of the lens needing adjustment.  I bought the lens with this in mind.  However, Sigma's service, while not strong on communication, certainly made the wait worthwhile.  Earlier, I'd seriously considered purchasing the new Nikon version, but I'm quite sure that I made the right choice.

Mark
Bodies: D700/D5100/FE2/D200IR  Lights: SB-900/SB-400/SU-800
AF Lenses: 24-70/70-200/55-200VR/70-300VR/Sigma 30 & 50/Tamron 17-35, 17-55, 24-135, & 90mm.
Old School: 28 3.5K Ai'd/50 1.4K Ai'd/55 3.5K Ai'd/85 1.8K Ai'd/105 2.5 Ai-S/135 2.8K Ai'd/75-150 Ai-S/200 f/4 Ai.
Cool Stuff: CS3; Lightroom3, Wacom Intuos3, Bogen 3021, Arca Swiss B1, and other stuff.
www.theprintsofdarkness.net

#10 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 26 August 2009 - 15:12

Just got this lens yesterday and after doing about 100 shots of everything including a test grid, like Bourbon Cowboy, I wasn't getting the sharpness I expected. BH, in their usual excellent customer service, is sending me the UPS return and will ship me another.

Lew

Lew

My latest photo oriented blog posts include "Getting to a Final Image - some words for a new photographer."

Pictures and the occasional blog posting about photography and travel at http://lewlortonphoto.com

Posted Image

#11 Jesse

Jesse

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 710 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:17

Just got this lens yesterday and after doing about 100 shots of everything including a test grid, like Bourbon Cowboy, I wasn't getting the sharpness I expected. BH, in their usual excellent customer service, is sending me the UPS return and will ship me another.

Lew

I absolutely love this lens.  Though I have heard there are copies that a bit soft focus.  I assure you that if you get a copy that focuses correctly you are going to love it.  The f/1.4 is lots of fun to play with too.
"....how we survive, is what makes us who we are."

My Website - http://www.jesseascher.com/
My Photography - http://jascher.smugmug.com/

#12 gkor

gkor

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 79 posts
  • LocationGreece, mainly northern

Posted 08 January 2010 - 13:26

Here is one from the very first test shots I made with the Sigma 50 1.4.

I got this lens a couple of days ago and I am happy to confirm the reviews had read.
It is well known but briefly I say again:
Very sharp from f/2-f/2.8 and on
very nice bokeh
unfortunately f/1.4 sharpness is barely acceptable ( dreamy as said) especially if the image is to be cropped/magnified but the IQ improves significantly at f/1.8
relatively big (its a handful of lens) but I like this mass combined with the D700,
the feeling of the focus ring is so-so - it is rather rusty
and luckily I didnt notice any front focus issues (was very much concerned)

Well now for me a sweet dilemma arises between the Sigma and the classic Nikkor 50 f/1.8 AIS that is the AF ability and maybe better bokeh against compactness and discreetness.

It would be interesting if a piece of direct comparison between the two above 50s is provided (link or experience) and also with the 2 Zeiss 50mm esp. the f/2 makro which is not included in Bjorns list.

PS irrelevant. I purchased the same day both the Sigma 50 1.4 and the Nikkor 60mm AFS macro. Ok the latter has a more or less different mission but couldnt ever imagine the difference these 10 mm could make in framing and composition!!!

the Rosa below is at f/1.8

Attached Images

• cultivated_rosa.jpg

Giorgos

#13 smhese

smhese

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 19 May 2010 - 21:31

Some days ago I compared the Nikon 50 1.4 AFS G with the Sigma 50 1.4 EX DG HSM and when I ordered the two lenses from Amazon I thought that I would probably keep the Sigma but what a surprise: the Sigma is a nice lens BUT has a strange problem with the out of focus blur circles that can under special circumstance look like a shooting target or like an onion. I have an picture example here:

Posted Image

I have never seen something like that with a lens - may be you haven an idea where this comes from. For me this is a show stopper and I will keep the Nikon although the AFS is much slower than with the Sigma. Also the size and weight of the Sigma just feels right with Nikons Pro bodys. I thought a moment about keeping both but than: I only need the 50 for special situations. Another issue: the Sigma is backfocussing whereas the Nikon was spot on (tested with "lens align")

Regards

Sren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.