Photo
- - - - -

Nikon 50mm f/1.4G AF-S

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (95 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (sub-optimal) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 Stars (average) (9 votes [9.47%])

Percentage of vote: 9.47%

4. Voted 4 Stars (above average) (53 votes [55.79%])

Percentage of vote: 55.79%

5. Voted 5 Stars (outstanding) (33 votes [34.74%])

Percentage of vote: 34.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:01

Have you used this lens? If so, let others know what you thought about it by summarising your experiences as a reply to this thread. Please keep all comments on topic.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Ahmed ghazzawi

Ahmed ghazzawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 25 January 2009 - 19:23

Just unboxed mine from 2 hours , trying to test it under the normal room light , till now i am not impressed , main thing that bothers me is the lack of sharpness at 1.4 , iam not sure if it is sharpness normal 1.4 issue or a soft focus that needs to be fine tuned on my D3 , but till now i have never fine tuned a nikkor lense ...i hate to do it espesially with this one , i am starting to get annoyed about wether it might be a quality control issue like a sigma lense ,as nikon now do thier lenses in china ?
dont know all these thoughts came at once in the previous 2 hrs , i will wait for the morning light to continue what i started then give it a final judgment ,

#3 Oli N.

Oli N.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Locationin the area of Stuttgart

Posted 25 January 2009 - 19:38

I got my one on December instead the 50/1.4D and use it very often with D80 and D300, it is one of my most preferred lenses. The sharpness and bokeh is very fine. I would not say it's much better than 1.4D, but faster and less noisy ;-)
I'm glad to have one and can't say anything bad about...

Oli
[size=1]I only ride on Nikon :)

My interwiew

h.a.n.d! --> have a nice day ! ;D

#4 Ahmed ghazzawi

Ahmed ghazzawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:12

ok , i was late for work today , only for the reason to test the nikkor 1.4 g , until now , i fine tuned it till + 10 , then it was ok but not too much ,  my nikkor 50mm 1.8 , is still sharper . also i realised that it gives disturbing luminance in the bright areas of the frame , reminded me of my POS panasonic camera , i will not go to technical details observing the lense rather than what my eye can see . till now the nikkor 50mm 1.8 is better to my eye .

#5 HansW

HansW

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 February 2009 - 18:25

This lens is capable of producing really sharp and colorfull images. This lens sits standard on my D700 and would not leave without it. I really have to pay close attention to focus as the subject may already be out of focus when the camera snaps. Luckily there are plenty of nifty AF features to help me nowadays:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

[img width=1000 height=666]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/3138563270_c80fb202bd_b.jpg[/img]

#6 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:37

This lens is working out OK for me. I was walking around town tonight taking some handheld shots and they seem sharp enough under the circumstances. Here's one shot at 1600 EI with a D700.

Attached Images

• Salem at Night_DSC1478.jpg

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#7 HarryM

HarryM
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 22:31

I bought this lens in December to use on my D40X for a wedding - my son's (whoopeee!).  another guy was taking pictures with a Canon EOS Rebel XTi and a kit zoom.  He was the "official" wedding photographer, but the pictures that I took were unaminously considered to be sharper and better composed.  The camera?  The lens?  The photographer?  Who knows?  But I sure do like the lens.  Now that Nikon has announced a 35mm 1.8G AF-S lens, I am wanting to try one of those out.  Will it ever end?

Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.
Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks

#8 hughlook

hughlook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 00:55

Very taken with mine so far. Bought it for handheld low-light work on a D300 and D60, and because if I did ever upgrade to FX it would give me a standard lens right away. I'm no sharpness freak, but it seems OK to me.

http://www.flickr.co...ook/3238357006/
http://www.flickr.co...ook/3214558949/

#9 LSE

LSE

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 735 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:34

I've experienced some coma flare issues at 1.4 under certain situations. It's a bummer that nikon didn't include aspherical glass on this lens, even if doing so would cost a few more hundred bucks. With the release of the 35mm DX prime, it leaves this prime strictly for professional use...and it is somewhat dissapointing to see that they cut corners there.

however, the lens is up to the quality you'd expect to get. I always use it on FX and it never fails to impress me.

#10 Ahmed ghazzawi

Ahmed ghazzawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 22:30

i am afraid to say that my copy was indeed a bad one , it is the first nikkor lense that i feel sorry to say that it failed ( with me ) . i sold it and i am happy i did , i bought it to have fun with it but it turned my days into confusion , i dont care if it is sharp , what i care about is when i press the shutter i need a clean photo and not a dozen of them only to pick one that is sharp . a friend of mine with a d700 passed through the same experience like me and he is selling his lense too . i hated that lense so much and i am so happy i got rid of it . and to my beloved 50mm 1.8 i say : i am sorry i neglected you ..those new AFS with all my respect were done for D40, or D60 or what so ever...nothing less and nothing more

#11 newimage

newimage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:46

Love this lens .. and yes it produces extremely sharp images across the aperture range. I personally like shooting portraits and moving in closer at 1.4 to get the razor sharp detail combined with the shallow DOF.

#12 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 29 November 2009 - 19:54

Just got this lens, I need an 50mm AF to compliment my 50mm f1.2 MF. I chose the Nikon over the Sigma.
First impressions, built quality ok, but of course the 1.2 is much better build. Autofocus rather slowish, ok let's call it slow  ;)
Image quality and sharpness quite ok, but rather bland compared to the 1.2, might take some time to get used to.
I think the modern AF-S Nikon lenses like this 50mm and 24-70mm are very balanced and neutral but also a bit boring.

First testshots.

1. f2.5  iso 1.600
Posted Image

2. f2 iso 1.600
Posted Image

#13 Fish_Shooter

Fish_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 December 2009 - 00:58

This lens is a very good value. Very sharp for low light, low contrast, reflected light shots, not so good for high contrast back-lit shots. I suppose Nikon could have produced a better 50/1.4 but for much more money such as the same price as the Leica M 50/1.4 ASPH. >:D

I am presently traveling with just 3 lenses, this is one of them.
a multiple-decade Nikon shooter; cameras from Nikon F to D2x, Nikonos I to RS, Nikkor lenses from 10.5 to 1200mm

#14 Preston

Preston
  • Life Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted 31 January 2010 - 19:19

I've bee shooting with the 50mm f1.4 G on a Nikon D700 for about six months and I'm very pleased with it.  The center sharpness wide open is quite good.  I'd judge it to be on par with the 50mm f1.8 D at f/4.0.  Auto focus is a bit slow on this lens, but it is easy to tweak it manually.

#15 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,073 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 20 June 2010 - 20:22

A very good lens overall, with no big flaws. Good night shots - but I have had no opportunity to compare it with the Noct Nikkor for instance, or the 50/1.2 which also seems to be a good performer at night.

Contrast is a bit low wide open. Distortion is not a problem for me, since I get it corrected (with DxO - while I sometimes decide not to correct vignetting, I correct distortion systematically with this lens).

[img width=100 height=150 alt="_DSC2776_1000"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=33272&g2_GALLERYSID=50f976cc54c320f9091a81728a4971b9[/img]

#16 Marc Schlueter

Marc Schlueter

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 320 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 03 October 2010 - 23:08

I rate it the best Nikkor 50mm wide open till f/2.8.
It is sharper and with more contrast between f/1.4 and f/2.5 than the AF 1.4/50mm, is less troubled with flare and produces no hotspot in the studio with white background.

The bayonett lens hood attached to the lens body is another welcome feature. My AF 1.4/50mm got a bit "wobbely" after some years of stress the lens hood put on the mechanics.

Wide open it's a little bit soft, but get's sharper and pics up contrast with every 1/3 stop you close the aperture. At f/2 it's allready better than the 1.2/50mm AiS.
The distortion seems to me a little bit stronger than the AF 1.8/50mm, AF 1.4/50mm and 1.2/50mm AiS.
From f/4 onwards it doesn't matter IMO which Nikkor 50mm you use. They are equal enough. The AF 1.8/50mm has the lowest distortions.

I gave my AF 1.8/50mm and AF 1.4/50mm happely away for it and kept the 1.2/50mm AiS just for its "differend" soft rendering wide open.
AF is about as "fast" as the AF 1.4/50mm on my D300 and D700. No focus issues that I am aware of.

D700, f/1.8 at 50cm
Posted Image

Edited by Marc Schlueter, 08 December 2011 - 08:07 .

'A circle of confusion is a group of photographers having a round table discussion about depth of field' - Mark Dubovoy

#17 AndyE

AndyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 23:23

D700, f1.4, 30sec
Posted Image

#18 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:38

Voted "above average".
Pretty astonishing performance wide open even in the corners of a D300 and a D700. Good contrast even when the sun is in the image, little flare/ghosting. Heavy sagittal coma flare at f/1.4, almost gone at f/2.8. AF produces less outliers than the old AF 50/1.4D.
You can find more detailed information and sample images via my signature.

Thomas (moderator and lens-tester at Camera Labs)
All my lens reviews, My Photography Blog, My photos

#19 lenmil

lenmil

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 22:26

Been using mine since i got my D700. Love it in low light and easy to carry in a small bag. Works fast and quiet to me, but i don't have many lenses yet to compare. But no regrets buying it and i will keep it for sure.

Take the shot, you never know.

#20 Dave Rosser

Dave Rosser

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 664 posts
  • LocationThornbury, near Bristol

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:40

Had mine for some time now and use it quite a bit on my D700.  Stopped down it is of course excellent

At full aperture it works well in real photography,  I've put this version of this picture here as it shows background blur better than another version in my gallery here

Edited by Dave Rosser, 01 July 2011 - 13:15 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.