The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

5. Voted 5 Stars (outstanding) (26 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,150 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:34

What is your experience with this lens? This topic will be indexed on our equipment pages. Please keep your comments centered on your experiences with this lens so that others may draw value from them.

Please help me finance Fotozones by disabling your ad blocker for this site.

You can also support Fotozones by buying your gear from our affiliate advertisers using these links:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC or DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 March 2009 - 17:48

One of the best 35/2 lenses ever made for FX.  Have only shot on D3.  'Sharp' at distance, and close up.  Has the evenness of rendition of the Leica-R 35/2, but higher contrast(as one would expect from Z).  Only down spot:  Barrel distortion becomes pronounced when focused close(<2m, etc)---similar in this respect to the old Nikon 35/1.4.

Update:  My ZF 35/2 has successfully made the transition to the D800/E.  No complaints.  I can count the individual, clearly defined grains of medium-fine sand in a shot made from 14 inches away.

Edited by pluton, 08 March 2014 - 05:49 .

Keith B.

#3 aure

aure

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:45

Tried it this weekend and I must say I'm impressed. It really is sharp and I like colors very much.
It surely can be named 'Best in it's own class' along with 21mm, 50/2 and 100/2 Zeiss lenses.

It is visibly better than mine 35/2 AF-D, but I haven't tried neither Nikkor 35/2 AiS nor 35/1.4, both are known as excellent lenses too.

And yes - it's not compact or lightweight, pack of ZF primes is not something you wanna carry with you too often.

#4 adebartolo

adebartolo
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:24

I purchased one last year and foolishly sold it last winter.  Had the opportunity to pick up a Nikon 35 f/1.8 AFS G and made a number of shots with it. It's a nice lens but then I started to look back into my LR database and compare those images to the Zeiss 35/2.  Nice as the new Nikkor is the Zeiss is better...  Long    story short.  I picked up another Zeiss 35/2 ZF and this one is not going to go away!

#5 GonzoBernelli

GonzoBernelli

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 283 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 October 2009 - 19:06

One of the first shots - lousy light - but sharpness is not lacking even if the image is not memorable.  Just removed the keystoning and nudged the color up notch in PS.

Posted Image

DISCLAIMER:  This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

CONFIDENCE: The feeling you have before fully understanding the situation.

Nick Nicholls

#6 cjp

cjp

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationThe Chilterns, England

Posted 02 October 2009 - 19:43

It's an excellent lens, always in my bag and my favourite walkabout. Sharp, good close focus,very pleasant bokeh and butter-smooth throw.  Some examples below and plenty more at http://www.pbase.com/charliepackard

D200 1/160s f4 iso280

Posted Image

D700 1/800s f8 iso200

Posted Image

D700 1/800s f4 iso200

Posted Image

D700 1/1250s f8 iso400

Posted Image
Charlie

A few of my images can be found at http://www.flickr.co...s/27592974@N03/

#7 smok53

smok53

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 02 October 2009 - 20:27

Excellent lens indeed.
D3, 1/15 sec, f/5.6, ISO 800, handheld.

[img alt="Lublin Old Town"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22328&g2_GALLERYSID=3450c9cd0bdeb5881adf890e1a46b10b[/img]

#8 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 00:09

ISO 400; 1/1000 @ f/2.8

Attached Images

• standpipe.jpg

#9 ed

ed

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:02

reflections

Attached Images

• pastedGraphic.jpg

#10 FoveonRules

FoveonRules

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:00

I owned this lens for a few months earlier this year.  I was disappointed with it.  I used it on my D300.  Others have told me that this lens just does not like that body.  I found the colors a little too dull for my tastes.  And the worst thing was the horrible purple fringing at high contrast edges when shot at F/2 or even F/2.8 (Yes I know it's not an APO lens, but I still expected more from a prime Zeiss lens).  Anyway, I sold it.  Now I'm shooting the Voigtlander SL II lenses, and like them better.     

#11 the_traveler

the_traveler

Mr Cranky Pants

• Life Member
  • 7,132 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 October 2009 - 21:03

Still learning, crappy weather, overcast but the lens seems quite sharp.
Still learning to squeeze my fingers onto the aperture ring.

Anyone know an after-market clamp-on ring for the aperture ring?

Attached Images

• test35__0796478.jpg

Lew

My latest photo oriented blog posts include "Getting to a Final Image - some words for a new photographer."

Pictures and the occasional blog posting about photography and travel at http://lewlortonphoto.com

Posted Image

#12 Guest_Makten_*

Guest_Makten_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 17:35

I recently bought one, and it's everything I ever wanted a 35 mm lens to be, except for the weight. Every picture just "pops" in a way I've never got with any Nikkor. Sharp, contrasty and with very decent bokeh for a fast 35.
But it's not perfect. There's some serious CA in the extreme corners and a bit of barrel distortion. Also, at wide apertures there's color shifting towards the corners. Like some sort of vignetting. But I don't mind when everything else is top notch.

f/4 on FX:

Posted Image

#13 NuteShack

NuteShack

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 March 2010 - 00:00

like all Z lenses ...dreamy glass 4sure 8)

#14 Guest_eoverstreet_*

Guest_eoverstreet_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 22:48

A must "walkabout" lens! We have acquired two of them.  We have used it on the D3, D3X, D2X, D2Xs, D700 and D3s..... FX and DX - it will not disappoint.    My only issue has nothing to do with the lens....its' my eyes, manual focus is harder to do in lower light situations for me.

#15 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,935 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 15 September 2010 - 14:32

Got my hands on a mint one,

1Posted Image

2Posted Image

3Posted Image

4Posted Image

D700 and all wide open at f2, not easy to focus at f2  better stop down,
images 3,4  heavy 100% crops.

#16 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 28 September 2010 - 21:05

I tried this lens at Photokina. This shot of another visitor had to be done very fast otherwise the girl would have noticed. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to focus this lens on the D300s, which was fitted with a KatzEye screen.

This lens is really very sharp wide open at f2!

Posted Image

#17 Marco Handgraaf

Marco Handgraaf

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted 10 October 2010 - 22:17

I bought this one last Monday and took it with me for a quick round in town.

1.Posted Image

2.Posted Image

3.Posted Image

4.Posted Image

cheers.

Marco

flickr

#18 chris

chris

OMS

• Life Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBrussels

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:13

One of the best lens on D3X: lot o clarity, micro-contrast, give a 3D look to images, nice color rendition. Easy to focus (MF)

http://www.fotozones...g2_itemId=37177

@ f:2.0

http://www.fotozones...g2_itemId=37181
@f:7.1

http://www.fotozones...g2_itemId=37184
@ f:10.0

Christian

#19 Marco Handgraaf

Marco Handgraaf

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam, The Netherlands

Posted 24 January 2011 - 19:10

Last week on the F4s:

Posted Image

Marco

flickr

#20 mshi

mshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:29

all shot at wide open

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.